Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 08:11   #1

Boat: Bock, 14'
Grand Cayman Canals in 1984: Question for a Work of Fiction

I know this is a Cruisers forum, but I’m hoping someone here might have some knowledge of Grand Cayman in the 1980s. I have Googled, consulted members on Grand Cayman travel forums, and even inquired of the Grand Cayman government (no response), and although I have learned many interesting little details that will help my novel along, I can’t seem to find one important piece of information: I need a canal in which to moor a 47’ Bermuda yawl. Yes, there are many canals that would work perfectly today, but what about in 1984? Grand Cayman was largely undeveloped, even in the early 80s and there isn’t a lot of information available on the internet—aside from the Queen’s visit and resort listings—so maybe someone here knows something of GC back then?

I need a residential area with more modest than upscale homes, with a canal that would accommodate a 47’ sailboat with a 6½‘ draft. Preferably someplace not too far from Cemetery Beach (northern part of the 7-Mile beach stretch). I’m favoring West Bay, “ Shores ” area for proximity, but have no idea at what stage of development it was in back in May, 1984, or what the homes were like along the canals. If I need to, I can be vague, but I love bits of detail that lend authenticity to a setting. In fact, I would love to hear anyone’s recollections of Grand Cayman back in the early 80s. Photos would be even more awesome!

Thanks,
Bridget