Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2014, 11:26   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
GoPro Best customer service ever!

We would like to say that we have just experienced the best customer service we have ever encountered.

Our GoPro Hero3 Camera developed a slight problem, in that it was not recognized as external storage by the computer. We were still able to use it, and it was a small headache.

We got in touch with GoPro through their web page, and were dealt with promptly, politely and accurately. They are now sending us a new camera replacement, and they are picking up the freight both ways, the return of the old one, and the supply of the new.

I would like to single out Sean F. and Nasthree in their customer service department.

We are extremely happy with the purchase and after sales service. Lots of still photos which are freeze frames of movies are on our web page if you want to see the quality, and we are really amateur photographers. Shooting a movie allows you to select a shot that was perfectly framed.

If you are thinking of getting a camera, look no further!
Old 11-08-2014, 11:41   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: GoPro Best customer service ever!

How long have you had the camera?

Without knowing that, hard to tell if this is exceptional customer service or warranty related issue that they handled as they should.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:14   #3

That's what I would expect from any reputable mfr of a $400 product. There was quite an online fit when GoPro released the black edition without fully testing it. I believe it took a couple of iterations of firmware updates to fix all of the problems. The CEO of Gopro admitted that on last night's episode of 60 Minutes.

When I searched for an action cam, I selected the Contour line of action cams, based on side by side comparisons (against the Hero 2, the latest one out at the time.) All of the advancements in the Hero 3 except for 4k were done in an effort to keep up with the Contour. Less fisheye, more video settings, remote view finding and control, easier to tell if the camera is even on or recording, etc.

In addition to being about 1/2 the price, they have a GPS version that marks your location on an online map so viewers can see where the action took place. The camera is much sleeker (the gopro is just a shrunken version of a point and shoot cam), capable of 270* of camera rotation without changing the mounting position and all of the mounts and underwater housings are a fraction of the price.

I use them on my offroad car and side x side, and with mounts being as cheap as $2, I have 2 cameras and 4 permanent mounts pointing in all directions on both vehicles for about the price of a Hero 3 without all of the mounts. They're also much more durable, since they are machined out of aluminum, not plastic.

Where Gopro really excels is marketing, pure genius. They have an entire division that looks for online videos and uses them in their own ads.

Sorry about the rant, but I think people should select a product based on technical merits rather than just customer support. While I applaud their responsiveness, I have 2 Contours and neither have needed any repairs in the 2 and 3 yrs respectively that I've owned them. In my mind, reliability is better than needing customer support.

Bottom line, I'm glad they came through for you! Enjoy it and please share your videos!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:24   #4

Great to hear Gilanya !
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service