Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2014, 06:12   #1

Good Stories needed

Ok, I need some good stories to help me remember why we have a boat. it seems over the last two years it has been one thing or another and i am a bit down and needing some real reminding. Jimmy Buffet or Great Big Sea songs just doesn't do it anymore. Help me out… remind me why having a sailboat is a joy and pleasure.

By the way, part of our (my wife and I) problem is, I know, not caused by boat problems, but are personal. we both still work, won't be retired for probably about 10 years and live little over three hours from marina so working on the boat is a real trip too. not just dropping by after work for a few hours.

Thanks for any pep talks you can provide
Jill_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 06:23   #2

Re: Good Stories needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Brian View Post
Ok, I need some good stories to help me remember why we have a boat. it seems over the last two years it has been one thing or another and i am a bit down and needing some real reminding. Jimmy Buffet or Great Big Sea songs just doesn't do it anymore. Help me out… remind me why having a sailboat is a joy and pleasure.

By the way, part of our (my wife and I) problem is, I know, not caused by boat problems, but are personal. we both still work, won't be retired for probably about 10 years and live little over three hours from marina so working on the boat is a real trip too. not just dropping by after work for a few hours.

You need a boat to enjoy days like this:

HAPPY AT THE HELM - YouTube
Old 29-05-2014, 06:26   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Brian View Post

Because you're a masochist like the rest of us?

The only answer to this question is to get out and sail some more

How about a great night sail from Copenhagen to Bornhom? 90 nm and the stars were fantastic. So was the sunset and the sunrise.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 08:21   #4

Boat: None at the moment

I am in the midst of sanding off the PO's poor attempt at applying a barrier coat, which for me means an hour drive each way (usually after a full day of work), spending time away from my family, and endless hours of tedious and nasty work. I was feeling a bit disheartened the other day kept telling myself "this is just part of it, and it can't always be fun." I then laughed thinking "this boat gives you a handful of trouble-free, wonderful days a year. All she asks in return is all of your money, tons of labor, blood, sweat, and even tears. Seems like a fair trade off." So I agree with the previous statement that we must be masochists. But, and I doubt I am alone here, as much as I complain about it, and as much as it can suck, I love it.

Like you, my wife and I are a long way from attaining our life goal. We have four dogs, a new baby, a mountain of student loan debt, and worst of all, we live in Oklahoma. I am certainly not trying to commiserate or compare crumby situations, but I do know how you feel. Throwing lines from a boat we don't even own yet seems infinitely far away and, at times, like an unrealistic fantasy. It is, however, a fantasy that has haunted me since I was a child and I can't ever seem to escape it.

I find that it gives me purpose - a dangling carrot to chase, and viewing it as such helps on those days that I am on the verge of losing hope. I use it to answer the endless inquiries of why that live in my head: "Why get up and go to work?" Because every dollar I earn puts us that much closer. "Why slave away on an old boat on a lake in Oklahoma?" Because I am gaining invaluable experience and learning to do things properly. "Why go for a run?" Because staying fit will be critical and beneficial when living aboard. "Why drink a 14th beer?" Because looking at it all through a sober lens might make me insane.

Even if it never comes to fruition, the fact that this dream has provided a purpose and justification for drudging through the muck and mire is something for which I am thankful.

Sorry for the long and somewhat cheesy response, but your post hit home with me. I was actually feeling a bit discouraged while driving into work this morning. "Southern Cross" then came on the radio and that first verse brought everything back to life...sometimes it doesn't take much.

In short, I guess I am just trying to say "hang in there." In a short life full of white noise and nonsense, the notion of turning dreams into reality is the only thing that really makes sense to me.
DaBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 10:21   #5

Boat: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom

Capt. Billy Tyne (voiceover): The fog's just lifting. Throw off your bow line; throw off your stern. You head out to South channel, past Rocky Neck, Ten Pound Island. Past Niles Pond where I skated as a kid. Blow your horn and throw a wave to the lighthouse keeper's kid on Thatcher Island. Then the birds show up: black backs, herring gulls, big dumb ducks. The sun hits ya - head North. Open up to 12 - steamin' now. The guys are busy; you're in charge. Ya know what? You're a goddamn swordboat captain. Is there anything better in the world?
Dave0549jv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 10:54   #6

Boat: Freedom 38

My friends have a boat that rarely gets used. They bought my RV when I got my boat and they use that RV all the time. They get much more out of it than I ever did, and now I am on my boat every weekend (and constantly working on it), while their boat languishes still. That's not a good motivating story, but there is a point that I'll make eventually. It occurred to me that maybe you need to get a smaller boat (canoe?) that's closer by so you can be on the water more often and not fretting about getting stuff done that's 3 hours away. I'm a firm believer that if something does not give you the joy and motivation you once had, then it's not a bad thing to step away, give it distance to help give you clarity, and see whether the old feelings come back. DaBod's story is seriously moving and a good reason to keep trying, but the one thing we don't know is how much heart you still have for this particular boat. Only you can figure that out.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 11:41   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

This guy has some pretty good sailing stories on his website:

self-portrait in the present sea Webb Chiles

His current position aboard his boat Gannet, a Moore 24.

Yellowbrick Tracking - YBlog - gannet
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 11:43   #8

You know what the worst thing about chartering is? After a long flight, and then a cumbersome checkin process, you're finally aboard and good-n-ready for a rest. The last thing you feel like doing is unpacking, so you leave that for day #2. Now is the time to head out and get this vacation started. So without haste, it's into the dink and onwards to Big Banana, Stanleys, & Willie T's, to give your liver a real good sorting out. Six hours later, with a wallet that's leaking like a siv, the impaired eyesight of a 90 year old with cataracts, and the balance of a 400lb gymnast, you make your way back to your new home for the next couple weeks stumbling and mumbling with the good knowing of a mission accomplished.

Charter problem #1: All the damn charter dinks look alike. In the bright of day, with a firm grasp of the english language, and the sure composure of a responsible adult, such things are minor blips on the radar - easily overcome. But @ 3am with what's gotta be a couple gallons of natures finest cure for boredom in ya - such things are NOT so easily navigated. As best you can you eyeball each of the unsecured dinks until you're CERTAIN you've found yours, and then it's off to find your 'home'.

Charter Problem #2: All the damn charter boats look just alike! Having just had to sort out the same issue with the dink, you're now certain that some evil troll is purposely torturing you. You shine your trusty torch at each vessel you approach, certain that the next one is sure to be yours. Eureca, you've found it! But why is another dink already tied up to her? As you draw closer, you hear a lot of rustling aboard. Holy Crap! You're being robbed! Boy have you got a surprise to those knarly sumbitches. You stealthily make your way aboard ready to make your pounce. AHA! GOTCHA!!! Then the lights come on and there are 2 stark naked VERY Sweaty & Surprised people staring at you saying WTF? To which you reply WTF are you doing screwing on MY boat? YOUR BOAT? Ugh, yeah, my boat....

Why do you own a sail boat you ask? Because it's the only place such things can end with you sipping Mai Tais and laughing about the foolishness with complete strangers. They're the only ones who can understand your predicament.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:10   #9

Boat: other people's boats

Only you can answer this. You must have good memories of owning your boat and enjoying good times on board. Anything we say won't help. You must look inside yourself...
who_cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 07:53   #10

Boat: Island Packet 35

Because everything worth doing is never easy. The journey is more important to you than the destination.

The phrase "nice boat" is music to your ears after putting in an entire weekend just sanding and varnishing your toe rails.

And finally, the most important thing a person can do is protect their dream. The closer that dream is to reality, the easier it is to take on the other parts of life.

There is no soap that can wash the salt water away once it gets behind the ears.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote