Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 22:56   #181

Boat: 32' CC Oday
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I know that is meant well. However I don't want to be chastised in public for my errors. I would prefer a quiet word in the ear from the cantankerous Mod than a public dressing down.

(Especially if it something I have written after 6 glasses of a rather rough Red! )

Mark

Hello Mark

I dont think anyone should be dressed down in a public forum, and not for one second would I, but a friendly "Hey Jim, youre kinda crossing the line. How bout being a little less XXXX", would be ok doncha think?

How bout Jacobs Creek Cabernet from the land of Oz? Ohhhh bay-bee!

Bernard Moitessier
Old 07-01-2009, 23:40   #182
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
<snip>...I am also glad that the last poster didn't quote every freakin' post that came before him. ..<snip>
CVH, I'm glad that you are glad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
...<snip> Oh, and Thursdays we get together, sneak out and play golf...<snip>
OK, how do I become a Thursday Only mod.

Seriously, I have posted this before on similar threads but it bears repeating (IMO).

Thank you to the mods who are just doing a unpaid job. Obviously they do it because they want to. I don't care much it they mess up occasionally because mostly they do a fine job.

Also a sincere thanks to those (big) posters who have moved on. I have learnt much from most of them.

Time for me to read some boating / cruising threads now.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 08-01-2009, 00:16   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

The reality is that once a thread starts….. we are ALL involved and you should give us the benefit of the doubt that the large majority will agree with the Mod’s reasoning to censure that post or close the Thread. (As David M just did with fastcat).

There are "self moderating" boards out there. I personally don't like them. You end up with a clique of old timers that rule the board. A new guy can never win a transgression. It really is true and it really is not fair. The board then becomes a club of 10-20 folks and if you try to go against conventional wisdom you are chastised in public.

There are boards that moderate in public. I personally don't like them. At first it fosters more dissatisfaction than private moderating. It invites people to dog pile on and it second invites people to question the moderating - This site specifically states it is moderated and it is moderated in private. Finally, it creates a disharmony where a mod could appear to be backing a persons opinion by moderating the other guy when in fact all we try to moderate is behavior.

On this board the moderators interpretation of the rules are subject to interpretation by Andy, Janet and the other mods. All members are invited and encouraged to question a call in private message to any moderator they feel comfortable with.

We have had a very divergent conversation so far. It is time to converge somewhat.

Almost everything has been said that is going to be said about moderating the boards here and I am afraid we are just going to get repetitive.
Old 08-01-2009, 00:59   #184
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Almost everything has been said that is going to be said about moderating the boards here and I am afraid we are just going to get repetitive.
Agreed! …..which means I guess we agree to disagree…..fine by me!
Old 08-01-2009, 09:19   #185
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Old 08-01-2009, 10:21   #186

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Hey Bill, that post was my belly laugh of the day. Thanx man.
Old 08-01-2009, 19:23   #187
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Just before your done....I have been on a few forums- and I have never been mod'ed on CF.Other forums I have made one post and got it removed. Everybody says "I'm leaving"- well I'm staying!!
Old 08-01-2009, 22:25   #188
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I second that...they will have to pry the mouse from my cold dead hands!!!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:08   #189

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I know that is meant well. However I don't want to be chastised in public for my errors. I would prefer a quiet word in the ear from the cantankerous Mod than a public dressing down.

(Especially if it something I have written after 6 glasses of a rather rough Red! )

Mark
I agree with Mark on this one. I would appreciate a nice quiet PM rather than a public dress down as well. As Mark puts, ESPECIALLY after 6 glasses of Red (I like my Red Dirty and Brutal and my whites sharp )
Old 09-01-2009, 02:19   #190

Oh come on now....This is a commercial site . I have said it before and will say it again. Its primary goal is traffic. This is what the owner gets paid for. The moral imperative, is fine if the owner is rich enough (or cares) . I have been following this for a long time and it aint about moral substance. Previous people left for strong and reasonable reasons. The huge joke is they are "volunteers".......(Gord do you get paid now?) how many commercial ventures do you know that act like a club on the surface and get people to dedicate hours of their time , to promote a purely money making organization. It costs bugger all to set up this type of forum (as proven) The expensive part is the people to do the work. Right now a new web site has been set up involving metal boats that is totally free, with no advertising run by volunteers. I will not post the site address because it will breach the rules of this site and by virtue give reason for this post to be removed. The point is that moderation has been arbitrary for a long time, and the statement that posts will be removed and the authors will be provided with the reason why is simply not true in all cases.....
Old 09-01-2009, 02:28   #191

Boat: A Classic 1959 Herreshoff Ketch, 38' S/V ORCA

I for one am appreciative for all the great wealth of information available in this forum....and to think, it's free of charge... THANK YOU....

I would not leave here, though I don't post here very much. (I have over 5650 posts on the Wooden Boat Forum.)

May I make a suggestion of a sub forum of a "BILGE" to "Off The Topic Forum"... A place where you can post about things that are, or are not related to sailing or boats. A place where you can post interesting, funny, touching, controversial, personal, or human interest things. (But keep politics and religion out.)

A place where people can get to know each other. I am not complaining, but as much as I like this forum, my impression is that it is kind of distant and impersonal. Somehow missing the "human" element or should I say, friendliness...

I too was privately reprimanded for posting a couple of threads not related to boating to "Off The Topic Forum". I thought them to be interesting and nice, but I was told:

"While I have to admit your recent photos and videos are amazing we really do want off topic posts to be about boating. We really don't want to fill the off topic forum with anything people think is amazing."

I accept the rules.... and I have not posted here much at all.

So, how about a Bilge where we can post off topic?

Apologies if you think I'm out of line, but I thought to let you know how I feel....

:kissy:

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...
Old 09-01-2009, 03:30   #192

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I have to say that although my primary interest in this site is technical boat related stuff, I do find myself also using it as entertainment....

I agree with Spin Drift and many others that it would be nice to have a bilge where we can muck around a bit....It would probably be the first place I would open daily.

I really liked the vid of the guy carrying bricks on his head.

If this site is all about numbers....Then I would think that sort of stuff draws them.

I guess it’s a business plan thing and not my "business"

I do like the moderation on this site.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:00   #193

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
and all this time I thought this was for entertainment . . .
Old 09-01-2009, 07:37   #194
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Old 09-01-2009, 09:21   #195

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post

I agree with Spin Drift and many others that it would be nice to have a bilge where we can muck around a bit....It would probably be the first place I would open daily.
Muck around
Closed Thread