Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 16:25   #166

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
I, for one, am glad for the work the Mods do. I have been "censored" here because of something I posted in response to being called a "Tree Hugger". I should have kept it to cruising. I am also glad that the last poster didn't quote every freakin' post that came before him. BTW, "WE" are not the forum. It costs money to host and develop a website, and until someone pointed it out recently, I had no idea this forum was owned by anyone with a business. I'm sorry to say I haven't spent a cent here. I have learned alot about refitting and cruising a boat, but haven't learned a damn thing about politics...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 07-01-2009, 16:57   #167

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Christian--

If it wasn't for you GD Tree Huggers, we wouldn't have to deal with these GD "Frozen Snot" FG boats instead of a decent boat. If G_d wanted people to sail FG Boats he'd have created FG Trees. In the mean time, the Moderators do a good, if thankless, job; and, if the folks that "own" this site (as if anyone can really own a milk crate,) more power to them!

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-01-2009, 17:55   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
...Houston, we got a problem.
Well I don't know how it has come about that you are able to speak for all of us ?

You do seem to be very unhappy here, have you ever thought of correcting that by googling up some other forums which suit your own personal needs better than this one? As you likely know, there are plenty out there.

Well, that's what I would do anyway. Bit like restaurants really, if you don't like Indian there is not much point complaining to the restaurateur that he should change to Vietnamese, especially when his tables are full of happy diners. Much better in my opinion to trot off to a Vietnamese restaurant.
Old 07-01-2009, 18:01   #169
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRsail View Post
Seems Like alot of silly drama on these forums, some more than others.
Hi SRsail and welcome to Cruisers Forum! Mom and Dad are having a "discussion." We will resume our normal nuclear family relationship shortly.

You oughta see the vidoes of us "making up."

Seriously, glad you are here - Maybe you could post a hello in meet and greets and we could welcome you properly?
Old 07-01-2009, 18:15   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
We don't pay anything. WE are the site because if WE don't post anything there IS no site.
No members = No site
No Site = No members
No mods = mucho spam and no member support - This site is really big. We get tens of new members per day, we get bombarded by spam, we get hundreds and hundreds of posts per day, tens of new threads.

Aside from killing spam, we discuss various threads, we try to stay out of threads if possible, we may help a new member learn how to attach a file, we may help someone with a configuration issue. We do chase down a lot of commercial activity. We debate new features (the challenges forum for example) and we do agonize over dissatisfied members, old and new.

Oh, and Thursdays we get together, sneak out and play golf.

Quote:
They may bitch and complain about it but they do it because they LIKE to do it.

Why do they LIKE to mod? I wanna read it.
None of the mods are bitching and complaining about it. And it is a bit kapitan obvious that we do it because we like it. It is a volunteer position. Why else would one do it? (Thursday golf aside)

I have posted why I like to mod, David said the same thing, basically. I can't speak for others.

This is like proving a negative. Until we stop moderating this board, we won't know what this board would be like. I just don't think we are gonna go there.

In the meantime, we mods have learned a ton about what we all feel as members. In fact some of the praise is making guys like Hud and Gord blush. But we all know how shy Gord is. We appreciate the kind words but just as importantly we appreciate the constructive critical feedback on how the site is running.

Thanks to everyone.
Old 07-01-2009, 18:22   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
You oughta see the vidoes of us "making up."
So David in Old Jersey's expectation that in "Moderator and Admin land it was all Cold Beer, Hot Woman (or "whatever floats yer boat" ) and 24/7 drunken debauchery" is correct ???

No wonder the forum is goin'to the dogs .
Old 07-01-2009, 18:42   #172

Location: Maryland...just a little too far removed from the Chesapeake Bay for my liking!
The unwritten rules of this forum are simple:

1) Be deferential toward moderators, curry their favor, learn who you can be rude to and toward whom you may not.
2) Political comments are frowned upon...unless, you choose to make fun of George Bush...in which case they are more than tolerated.
3) Be nice. Actually...be politically correct. You can be a complete ass towards certain individuals or groups, yet you must not be so towards others. Figure out which individuals and groups are which. You will get along fine.
4) Comments about crime in international waters or in ports outside North America are sometimes tolerated. By contrast, remarks about rampant crime in North

S/V Loose Cannon - and that should be warning enough!
Old 07-01-2009, 19:02   #173

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
No good has ever come from a loose cannon. Now we have proof.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 07-01-2009, 19:40   #174
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
I just wanted to say good bye to Chuck and wish you well in all your future endeavors. I know your knowledge will be missed and hopefully one day you will bless us with your insight again. I can also offer a heart felt sorry from our team if you felt alienated by our actions. Our team tries to manage the community the best we can, but just like everyone on this earth, we are not perfect. We all interpret things differently and this can unfortunately lead to misunderstandings sometimes.

Not intending to distract from the warm wishes for Chuck's good bye, I would like to say thanks to our team for doing their best job at managing Cruisers Forum. This thread is a good example of how many perspectives are present here in our community and a testament for how difficult it can be to try and keep the peace among people with such different opinions and interpretations. If our community is not providing you the product you are looking for then one of the other forums mentioned might. In the end I sincerely hope that everyone can find a site that fits their needs, be happy and enjoy their time online. Cruisers Forum might be this site but for some it might not.

Our team actually takes time to reflect on issues like those being discussed in this thread and ways we can be better. We will continue to do our best to manage the community based on our Community Rules and hope that the majority of our members appreciate this effort. We realize that, like boats, one size does not fit all. To those who choose to call another online forum home, fair winds and following seas. It will surely sadden us to see you go but we hope that everyone can be happy and enjoy their time online. Life is too short to not try to enjoy every minute.
Old 07-01-2009, 19:57   #175
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Gee Whiz....this is getting more play that Right of way, Guns, wacky business ideas.........or how can I sail away and make money in foreign ports..............

Chuck....is you still here? See what you have started? Chuck?????Chu.....uck?
Yoo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Helloooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!CHUCK!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 19:58   #176

Location: Maryland...just a little too far removed from the Chesapeake Bay for my liking!
Meant to hit the CAPS LOCK key while writing my post above, but somehow inadvertantly submitted the post prematurely instead. Tried to edit the post quickly but was unable to do so of course. Anyhow, my points as I would have continued them have been OBE as word has come down loud and clear.

What I heard?

Things will remain as they are.
We try really really hard.
You can leave if you don't like it.
Good luck to you as you exit.

PC speak for "NEENER NEENER NEENER" in my opinion.

Go ahead...tell me I am wrong.

S/V Loose Cannon - and that should be warning enough!
Old 07-01-2009, 21:16   #177
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnelson View Post
What I heard?

Things will remain as they are.
We try really really hard.
You can leave if you don't like it.
Good luck to you as you exit.
Sounds about right to me.

Things will remain as they are. Good. I think it's pretty good as it is.
We try really really hard. I agree. I think they do try hard.
You can leave if you don't like it. Yep. Not maliciously, but true.
Good luck to you as you exit. Yep. And I think it was sincere.

-dan
Old 07-01-2009, 21:22   #178
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Andy, thank you for your comments.

If I may suggest (again), below is where I feel you run into trouble in the CF rules:

At times the moderation team will pull a post (or thread) out of the view of the general membership to discuss issues, arguments, or other concerns that might be going on in that discussion. When this happens please do NOT start another thread asking why the original post/thread was pulled the moderation team will either return the post/thread or communicate with the members involved about it being removed permanently and why.

The reality is that once a thread starts….. we are ALL involved and you should give us the benefit of the doubt that the large majority will agree with the Mod’s reasoning to censure that post or close the Thread. (As David M just did with fastcat).

Nature….. and the nature of the frequent posters on CF, abhors a vacuum, so why create one? ….. Instead consider that a Mod should publicly and politely identify a misdemeanor to reinforce to ALL members, the standards we enjoy and support.

You would be surprised how many members would rally around the Mod and close down any dissension as we all like it here and know that we sometimes get carried away.

When some thing is unknown it is often feared or mistrusted, so I think you do yourself a disservice by creating that unknown…..Cheers! :cubalibre
Old 07-01-2009, 22:39   #179

Boat: 32' CC Oday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

Nature….. and the nature of the frequent posters on CF, abhors a vacuum, so why create one? ….. Instead consider that a Mod should publicly and politely identify a misdemeanor to reinforce to ALL members, the standards we enjoy and support.

You would be surprised how many members would rally around the Mod and close down any dissension as we all like it here and know that we sometimes get carried away.

When some thing is unknown it is often feared or mistrusted, so I think you do yourself a disservice by creating that unknown…..Cheers! :cubalibre
"a Mod should publicly and politely identify a misdemeanor to reinforce to ALL members, the standards we enjoy and support. "

" You would be surprised how many members would rally around the Mod and close down any dissension as we all like it here and know that we sometimes get carried away.
"

Peer pressure is very motivating to human behavior, it blurs the focus on a common "foe"; the lone authority figure. I noticed the real issue for some on this thread is they harbor resentment of authority and are masking it with invalid complaints.

" When some thing is unknown it is often feared or mistrusted, so I think you do yourself a disservice by creating that unknown"

Imagination can make things more threatening than the reality. Knowledge is empowering and comforting.

Excellent suggestions Pelagic; they reinforce the notion of "us" and "our". The empowerment of inclusion and peer pressure would be a positive.

Bernard Moitessier
Old 07-01-2009, 22:41   #180
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Instead consider that a Mod should publicly and politely identify a misdemeanor to reinforce to ALL members, the standards we enjoy and support.
I know that is meant well. However I don't want to be chastised in public for my errors. I would prefer a quiet word in the ear from the cantankerous Mod than a public dressing down.

(Especially if it something I have written after 6 glasses of a rather rough Red! )

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Closed Thread