Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:59   #46

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
The difference between a dictator and a diplomat is--- a dictator tells you to go to hell--a diplomat can make you look forward to the trip.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:06   #47
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Moderator can you please re-post the reasons Mister Chuck has to make this decision.

It is a big lost for all novices like me and I respectfully would like to know why he is leaving

This breaking news are NOT making my Sunday

buah
Old 04-01-2009, 08:16   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
- a lot of folk from a certain former Colony......no names mentioned (cough, south of Canada and north of Mexico, cough ).......don't take that sort of thing well,
Why you low life Euro trash; how dare you attack us who have saved you from the huns!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:16   #49

Take care, Chuck. I decided to leave here as well and had my "goodbye" post deleted. To avoid having this post deleted, I'll not mention why. I just wanted to thank you for your help over the last few years!

PS. I was suffering withdrawal symptoms and noticed your post. I post over on Sailing Anarchy (well named I might add) and like what I see on SailboatOwners.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:19   #50

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Who's Next?

Pretty soon we'll need a sticky thread to keep track of those whose input to this forum has been lost due to hurt feelings, rules, hissy fits and the like.

May I be banished for saying so, but IMO all parties should stop being so darned sensitive / critical / vociferous / disagreeable / impolite (you guys choose the one that fits your personal behavior) and perhaps act your respective ages.

Taking the FUN out of a great lifestyle and common interest that brings true value to others.

Perhaps too much FOX News / NPR News viewing that leads one to believe that civility no longer has a place....

End of rant... thank you. :kissy:
Old 04-01-2009, 08:32   #51
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Why you low life Euro trash; how dare you attack us who have saved you from the huns!!!!!!!
Damned uppity Canucks
Old 04-01-2009, 08:48   #52

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I take being nice very seriously,
Of course that is b/c you are a "Sappy, syrupy sweet Canadian" (quote from movie Canadian Bacon.)

While I certainly don't think that nation bashing is a good idea. And I don't think that vicious name calling or excessive swearing is good for a site w/o any of these things the site is endanger of becoming boring. I for one miss the stories and rants of SSullivan. I don't know why he left this site. But I do know that the site is less colorful w/o him. We need to strike a balance and I feel that deleting parts of a post is better than deleting the entire post.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 04-01-2009, 09:14   #53
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
I don't think we need the rants for the forum to be interesting. I find the considerate discussions much more stimulating. (Don't misunderstand, I miss SSullivan, too.)

As to nation bashing, for the following keep in mind I was born and lived all my life in the US. I find it odd that people from the US can be so intolerant of criticism. We are so proud that we have so much freedom, and we demand our right to free speech, and then slam anyone else that practices it if they say something we don't like. Interesting...

I did NOT say that to mean it should be allowed in this forum. I like the forum like it is. I don't always agree with the mods decisions, but they are human and should be allowed mistakes as well. On the whole, I think the mods in here take criticism about their decisions rather well. Well, except maybe for that one that's a dictatorial, despotic tyrant, and an *******. (Notice, I did NOT say overbearing cause I don't want to get out of line...)

-dan
Old 04-01-2009, 09:44   #54

I wish to add my own thanks and bye to Chuck as well. You shall be missed. Saw your first post over at "that other site" and I am afraid it is not very conducive to cruising concerns/interests.

Gord...I really respect you and several of the other mods here AND you guys have every right to run things as you see fit. I do not make this my primary forum because of the dryness of the content caused by over-moderation of adult opinions and conversation despite the wealth of knowledge here and nice folks. Seems to me like you guys are losing valued members AND content and page views and time due to too many moderators looking for stuff to delete. I say this with respect because I do like the site, but you all may wish to take Chuck's leaving and the other comments on this thread as perhaps indicative of some deeper issues and not just the rantings of those looking to stir up trouble.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:18   #55
Obsfucator, Second Class

I bet there are some members that think too much ranting and attacks are allowed. Then some think it is cut off too soon. We all have different ideas. Statistically, almost no one will think it is exactly right. And realistically, since the mods are human, I bet everyone thinks something was handled less than perfect. And ya know what? They are right. Sometimes they are handled wrong. I'm OK with that. The forum is much better because we are all humans.

Andy and the mods try to hold the level to what they think works. It attracts a lot of members. But the forum is not for everyone. People that don't like it can leave (and I mean that factually, not as a "good riddance" comment).

Bottom line: If the forum gets more lax in what it allows, it'll attract more members. And loose more members. The membership will change because the forum has changed. My personal opinion is that there are more choices for more volatile forums than calm ones.

I think it is great to have the discussions about what is allowed and what isn't. But in the end, we need to let Andy run his forum like he wants, and the large majority of members that stick around will be the kind of people he wants in his forum. The others will go find a forum that meets their needs.

Thanks to Andy and the mods for creating a forum that I like. And thanks to all of you that keep your posts in line with the desired atmosphere. And especially thanks to those that tolerated me when I didn't.

I'm sorry Chuck has left. Sullivan, too. I thought both of them fit in here very nicely. They obviously felt different. I hope they both find forums or other means to find what they want. Selfishly, I hope they both change their minds and come back.

The short form of what I said above is this: It is valuable to discuss all this, but none of us can reasonably expect the forum to be changed to be exactly what we want. We should appreciate it for what it is and tolerate what we don't like (if we can), or leave (if we can't). I appreciate the fact that tolerance is shown when we express our opinions about this forum.

-dan

PS camaraderie, this probably isn't necessary, but I don't want you to take my post as a slam aimed directly at you: Your post is an example of very clearly and nicely explaining your view that this forum does not totally meet your needs. If everyone posted as reasonably as you, we might not be having this discussion
Old 04-01-2009, 11:37   #56

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Just for the record...I was once a contributing member under Cams moderation...this same thing once was hashed out in his fourm as well and Cam and the rest of the team eased up in my opinion too much...and I left for greener pastures..so with out rescinding my disappointment on how tightly this place is ran ..It can go to far the other direction.

But there was always a reason given for their censorship which was very helpful in informing the rest of the community of what was wrong with the post and why...I found that very helpful...I got a couple swimsuit pictures deleated here in the cabin heat thread... I thought funny as that is my way..and had to learn that wasent the kind of humor that was wanted here..I am cool with that...but a replaced post from the moderators instead of a privet scolding would have help me better, left a better relationship with the moderator and benefited others as well
Just MHO.

Edit:

I actually jokingly publicly thanked a mod here once for deleting another one of my posts...Sometimes in the heat of battle ..a good nights sleep lets one see clearer.

To sum up my feelings moderation is the key to moderating.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:40   #57

dan...no offense taken at all.... and my post is not to suggest that wholesale changes are needed...just my feeling that since I joined and specifically in the last year, things have tightened up a bit too much IMHO and could nudge back the other way a bit while maintaining the civility.

Still...you left cause the moderation eased up...and went to SA??!! LOL!!
Well...you don't have me as a mod to kick around on that other site anymore!!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:42   #58

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
I'm sorry Chuck has left. Sullivan, too. I thought both of them fit in here very nicely. They obviously felt different. I hope they both find forums or other means to find what they want. Selfishly, I hope they both change their minds and come back.
Is that what happened to Sulli? Here I was asking if he was ok or had gone back to crewing a high end yacht. What about Steve Rust? Does anybody know about him?

Dacust: Overall I agree with everything you said.

Usually I think the sign of a decent forum is one where everyone is not happy about at least one thing. Sort of like the news. If everybody thinks the news slanted one way or the other but there is wide disagreement as to which side, it's probably pretty close to neutral.

By that reasoning (mostly because it fits my opinion already) Gord must, in addition to having amazing Google-**, be really impartial. But there may be uneven moderation as a cause and I think thats worth a look.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:54   #59

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
dan...no offense taken at all.... and my post is not to suggest that wholesale changes are needed...just my feeling that since I joined and specifically in the last year, things have tightened up a bit too much IMHO and could nudge back the other way a bit while maintaining the civility.

Still...you left cause the moderation eased up...and went to SA??!! LOL!!
Well...you don't have me as a mod to kick around on that other site anymore!!

I was waiting for that response Cam....

CA is NOT SA by a long shot...I pretty much stay away from the other..

And actually yes there is a lot less opinion bashing believe it or not..

When did I ever kick you around my friend???..I can remember one compliment I gave you off the top of my head....I hope that was a ribbing.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:56   #60
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Is that what happened to Sulli? Here I was asking if he was ok or had gone back to crewing a high end yacht.
Hmmm, actually I don't know. Maybe he did just go crewing. I may have spoken out of turn...

Quote:
If everybody thinks the news slanted one way or the other but there is wide disagreement as to which side, it's probably pretty close to neutral.
Excellent!

Quote:
But there may be uneven moderation as a cause and I think thats worth a look.
It's always good to question ourselves.

-dan
Closed Thread