Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:58   #61

Moderation does not attract a better member. Does it keep out the rif raf? Perhaps. What it does do is annoy opinionated posters and muzzle them and treat them as errant children on " behalf of the others" (who, frankly don't give a damn).

I can understand if poster A makes an offensive comment and poster B and perhaps C, D, and E complain you might want to put up a cautionary note -disclaimer whatever. But pulling posts and deleting parts of posts and treating the poster and the rest of the readers like children is bad form and only diminishes the entire site because good people move on.

And what have the mods accomplished in the interest of exchange of ideas when guys like Sully and Chuck move on? I'd call that shooting yourselves in the foot.

The mod thing reminds me of the monitors standing around as kids played in the school yard. Really, these are sailors and most a quite mature and serious about this stuff and don't need hall or playground monitors.

What sort of person would accept the cop role? I wouldn't for all the tea in China.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:59   #62

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Damned uppity Canucks
Not so. 'Uppity ' implies there's someone above us.

Not possible. We're puurrfect.

Connemara

Just trying to lighten the tone.

Old 04-01-2009, 13:11   #63
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
<snip>
Perhaps too much FOX News / NPR News viewing that leads one to believe that civility no longer has a place....
<snip>
:kissy:
I can't speak for those who tune in to Faux News to find out what to think - sorry, find out what's happening - but, on behalf of those of us on the open-minded, progressive side of the political spectrum, I feel I must point out that we don't actually need to view the source of our news when we listen to NPR (National Public Radio).

TaoJones
Old 04-01-2009, 13:21   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I was waiting for that response Cam....

CA is NOT SA by a long shot...I pretty much stay away from the other..

And actually yes there is a lot less opinion bashing believe it or not..

When did I ever kick you around my friend???..I can remember one compliment I gave you off the top of my head....I hope that was a ribbing.
Still....absolutely... just pullin yer chain hence the smilies.

Old 04-01-2009, 13:33   #65
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
There've been some good comments posted in this thread, and I, for one, appreciate them.

Moderators are just members who have been invited to help keep the forum running on an even keel, and who have agreed to volunteer their time to to so. Frankly, having to moderate threads takes away from the CF experience. If all there were to it was zapping the spammers, it would be easy. Passing judgment on posts to decide how they do or don't fit with the rules is generally not easy, and is typically a thankless job. No one likes to be the "bad guy". It's always an unexpected pleasure when a member who's stepped over the line says, "OK, no problem, I understand where you're coming from."

Being human, as Dan has pointed out, we each have our own view on things and our own approach when dealing with issues. We discuss actions and approaches in the non-public Moderator's Forum, but still, it's difficult to be totally consistent. And to compound the problem, communicating on the Internet is difficult. It's too easy for someone to read the wrong intent into someone else's statements.

That, I believe, is what happened in Chuck's case. I hope Chuck will reconsider and rejoin the Forum. He's been a great contributor over the years, and will be missed.

Feedback from the membership like this is helpful. Thanks to all of you who've taken the time to make your thoughts known, and have done so in a calm, logical, and respectful way.
Old 04-01-2009, 13:57   #66

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
HUD

I hope the rest of the team will feel the same way and that maybe discussions will issue between all of you and a few tweaks are made in a positive direction...I for one will miss SilentOption in his decition to leave this fourm as well.

Scott

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 04-01-2009, 14:00   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Moderators are just members who have been invited to help keep the forum running on an even keel, and who have agreed to volunteer their time to to so. Frankly, having to moderate threads takes away from the CF experience.
Agreed. You get from sailing when you are taking lessons, competing, cruising and learning from others. You give when you spend the time teaching and, I think for the most part, moderate the forums.

Quote:
Being human, as Dan has pointed out, we each have our own view on things and our own approach when dealing with issues. We discuss actions and approaches in the non-public Moderator's Forum, but still, it's difficult to be totally consistent. And to compound the problem, communicating on the Internet is difficult. It's too easy for someone to read the wrong intent into someone else's statements.
Email, chatting and forums are different registers (linguistically speaking) and the details still arenít worked out. We try to make up with by using emoticons but thatís pretty pale in comparison to face-to-face communication.
Quote:
Feedback from the membership like this is helpful. Thanks to all of you who've taken the time to make your thoughts known, and have done so in a calm, logical, and respectful way.
Here is my question, one that I alluded to before: In the sanctum sanctorum of the moderators' forum, do you all use any sort of complaint metrics? That is, if you have one or more moderators or members who generate the bulk of the alienation things might be easily solved. I clearly don't know because I'm looking up stuff of interest to me personally. My suspicion is you don't, and also it might not work. Which means this should be a periodic occurrence - perhaps 2x a year amongst 'noticeable people'.
But I am curious.
I don't think anyone has an issue with clear, consistent across the board moderation. But a lack of transparency creates mistrust. I like the redacted commenting idea. But I also realize the amount of work on behalf the moderators it would take.

Quote:
I hope Chuck will reconsider and rejoin the Forum. He's been a great contributor over the years, and will be missed.
Me too. But I respect his decision either way.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Old 04-01-2009, 14:50   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
open-minded, progressive side
TaoJones
Jumbo shrimp
Old 04-01-2009, 14:54   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
And I still dont understand the rules. I was modded for mentioning another site, yet all through this thread there is links to other forums? The Other Site (whose name shall not be spoken) actually only exists because a contributor here got the irrits and set up his own forum. That has to tell you something.

I rarely contribute here anymore - it is a good resource but I have been bemused one to many times about the rules (well actually - more particularly the application of them) to worry about it.

As for the George Bush joke, heard it before, with a differrent central character and I will no doubt hear it again. It reminds me of the other multi purpose political joke.

X (Insert name of non favoured politician) and Y (insert name of side kick to non favoured politician) are in an plane flying over a suburban area of (insert name of city) when X says - I think I will throw $20 out the window and make some poor soul happy. Y says - Oh you are so wonderful X, but why not throw two $10 notes out the window and make to poor souls happy.

To which the the pilot says - why dont you throw both yourselves out the plane and make the whole country happy. (for Australia X=Rudd or Turnbull and Y=Gillard or Bishop)

The point of the story is that if you arent used to having the free world pick on american presidents by now, well, you are a slow learner.
Old 04-01-2009, 15:18   #70
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
I don't think anyone has an issue with clear, consistent across the board moderation. But a lack of transparency creates mistrust.
My direct experiances of the Mods in action is that the person who has transgressed / had a post deleted gets a PM explaining why. This PM usually includes some form of request for understanding etc etc.

Nowadays I roll with their decisions even when I think I would have done things differently (but who knows what I really would have done? Likely if I wore a Mod hat that I would probably shoot a few of us folks - "Pour encourager les Autres" )....albeit I do recall in my early days responding with a PM headed "You can stick it up your a#se" .......their is a cost for everything and for the useful stuff from CF.com it's Moderation that is not specific to my tastes.......and on the whole the forum is a far far better place for that

Quote:
I also realize the amount of work on behalf the moderators it would take.

I too find a bit of gratuitous ar#e kissing of the Mods in advance can be "spent" later

On a less lighter note......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Is that what happened to Sulli? Here I was asking if he was ok or had gone back to crewing a high end yacht. What about Steve Rust? Does anybody know about him?
As a couple of folk have mentioned the disapearance of Sulli in this thread.......and somehow missed his goodbye thread(s).....I can perhaps shed a little (?? ) bit of light on the subject .

I hesitate to post about Sulli's dissapearance - not from shyness () but from a lack of interest in rehashing old ground for no benefit and he is not here to put his side of the story (well...........) but folk have asked and we are all adults. mostly .........

.....We had a short exchange of PM's. Initiated by me and rather blunt* in nature to which umbrage was taken (to be honest, as intended). Maybe I was having a bad month? certainly on the phraseology - which I still have a certain pride in but the sentiment still holds good - even if 99.999999% of the time I would not bother to send a PM simply after reading a million posts whining about how unfair life is.

Anyway, after feeling not sufficiently supported by the powers that be Sulli then left. I won't claim our exchange of PM's was the sole (or the even the major) reason he left (and BTW that was not my intention) because I don't know. and didn't ask.

Steve Rust? Nothing to do with me. (as far as I know )

*see my earlier comments on the forum being a far far better place for not being Moderated specific to my tastes.......
Old 04-01-2009, 15:26   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Modified Glasser Theory...

I had many problems in my former life as a high school maths teacher.
One of the greatest helps in solving those problems came from what was called the Modified Glasser Theory, called modified because William Glasser refused to endorse it as part of his work.

The modified theory involves a series of steps in discipline. The first step in dealing with a discipline problem, for instance, was to ignore it, next step might be a gentle warning, then a discussion outside the classroom and so on. The key part of the concept was that it meant that discipline was not a sudden controlling decision but an almost infinite number of steps.

For me this meant that instead of discipline being an instant confrontation it became a process of involvement, much like what is described in the Wikipedia link above.
Old 04-01-2009, 15:43   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Which shows exactly why "politics" should remain out of CF.

IMO, of course.
Old 04-01-2009, 15:51   #73

Boat: 44 footer
Bye Chuck!

I've enjoyed your posts, and will continue following along with your blogs. Hope you find another forum/avenue to share your knowledge, as you are one of the best for a beginner looking for a mentor!

Zach
Old 04-01-2009, 16:47   #74
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Isn't this the second or third change lately with the MOD reason given? On the other hand if that is the reeason isn't like saying you are taking your marbles home and not playing with you anymore.
Old 04-01-2009, 17:41   #75

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Not so. 'Uppity ' implies there's someone above us.

Not possible. We're puurrfect.

Connemara

Just trying to lighten the tone.
Well, we are pretty good at beer and hockey. (And since nothing else really matters...)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: