Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 18:14   #16

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Time to step up, Mods.
Old 03-01-2009, 18:15   #17

Boat: PETERSON 44
I did not always agree with your perspective opinion ,advice or attitude. The same may be said for my wife. Your experience cannot be denied your input valued. I doubt you have been silenced.
Good cruisin to ya it's a poor day we don't learn
Somethen new
Old 03-01-2009, 18:30   #18

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Man, i go off for the afternoon and miss this..what a loss to the forum, IMHO. Chuck, my best to you and your wife in all your endeavors. Thanks for the book.
Bob
Old 03-01-2009, 18:53   #19

Moderated online discussion groups among adults is a weird thing. The people who "own this portal" make up a bunch of rules to play by and post them and virtually no one reads them... the same as traffic regs... you learn the broad strokes, then use common sense and courtesy when driving and 99.999% of the time you spend on the road you don't have a problem. You don't have to read the "law" and you don't need cops stopping YOU for going 5mi over the speed limit when 99% of the drivers on the same road are doing the same. But it's the law and the cops are just doin their job.

I can't image what this experienced sailor might have written which caused him to be dressed down and have the comment removed as being so offensive and un readable by the adults who read these boards. I am 61 and I don't need someone censoring what I read.

On the other hand there could be issues of libel I suppose, but that too is a stretch and I have never heard of a suit being brought against the "owners" of a public forum when someone, who they don't "control" or have any "connection to" posts some off the wall comment. Why is it any less offensive to make a false lauditory comment than a true lambasting? Really, we're adults and supposed to take online comments from "strangers" with a very healthy grain of salt.

Popeye may be the greatest sailor in the world, but who knows his bona fides and so in THIS world, his comments are no more important that Lola Landlubber or the mods for that matter.

In the end moderating is sanctioned censorship under the rubrick of civility and playing by "the rules".

This forum has lost a bunch of interesting posters, to mod issues and that's unfortunate.

This post may not last long, but I wanted to get this off my chest.

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Bank on it!
Old 03-01-2009, 19:34   #20

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Lightbulb Just a second.....

Just something to consider here folks.

I moderate / administer on a few sailing sites, and many non-sailing sites going back to the days before the internet (anyone remember the dial in BB's?)

Moderating a forum is a PITA, especially when there are many different folks and personalities involved.

I do feel CF is being well run (I admit I have not always felt that way).

Chuck has lots of experience, but has tended to post with an attitude of 'it's my way or the highway'. Chucks opinions are valuable and contribute to the site, but so are everyone else s.

I hope he can see this, and will choose to come back. I seem to recall his saying he was leaving in the past, and changing his mind. Let's hope that is the case again and that we can all get along and learn more about this great thing we have in common that is cruising.

Peace and fair winds.
Old 03-01-2009, 19:47   #21

Strong opinions are fine with me. I take all opinions with a huge grain of salt.

People who have lots of experience speak with a certain amount of authority in their opinions. But that doesn't mean that they are correct.

There are many discussions about what's the best way to do this or the best gear for that and so forth. Although I have sailed 10's of thousands of miles and owned lots of equipment, my experience is still extremely limited to my boat (though I sailed others) and my equipment (though I had used others). I offer my opinions and advice and it's not worth a thing because in the end sailing is something each sailor is responsible for and had to work it out THEIR way and OWN it.

Aside from books we have very little means to pick up information in this "realm", unless you hang around boat yards and club bars BSing about boat all the time. I do neither. I stay on the hook, not in marinas and when I am at the boat yard I have no time to BS it's all work aside for some pleasantries.

But at home I can sit here at my PC and pick the brains of other sailors who are "in the same boat".

I like the forums and am sorry when someone with knowledge and experience feels uncomfortable sharing or is, or may have been told to cool their heels. That's a loss to everyone.
Old 03-01-2009, 19:55   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Chuck

Let me officially invite you over to SailboatOwners.com (LINK). I am one of the mods there and can say we would gladly value your experience and input.

If you are looking for a place to chat sailing and cruising, without all the "mod issues", SBO may be a good option for you.

You are a true loss to this site, as have others have been, but your input was especially concise and always very complete.

This site is losing too many good contributing members! What's up???
Old 03-01-2009, 20:07   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Just something to consider here folks.

I moderate / administer on a few sailing sites, and many non-sailing sites going back to the days before the internet (anyone remember the dial in BB's?)

Moderating a forum is a PITA, especially when there are many different folks and personalities involved.

I do feel CF is being well run (I admit I have not always felt that way).

Chuck has lots of experience, but has tended to post with an attitude of 'it's my way or the highway'. Chucks opinions are valuable and contribute to the site, but so are everyone else s.

I hope he can see this, and will choose to come back. I seem to recall his saying he was leaving in the past, and changing his mind. Let's hope that is the case again and that we can all get along and learn more about this great thing we have in common that is cruising.

Peace and fair winds.
The biggest "My way or the highway" poster on this forum, in my opinion, is a Site Adminstrator.

I hope that you can see this and realize the kindergarten argument you've made.
Old 03-01-2009, 20:14   #24

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Arrow

Dave,

I was tempted to cite instances where Chuck did this or that (like ask threads to be closed when the majority of folks no longer agreed with his position)... but this is not an indictment of Chuck.

The point of my " kindergarten argument" is that there are more then one side to this story, and Chuck's parting shot (while great for sympathy) does not tell the whole story.
Old 03-01-2009, 20:20   #25

Well said. Point taken.
Old 03-01-2009, 20:43   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Oh well.......there are a few people who are vociferous on EVERY board......some are wacky or guilty of PWI........somewhere in ther you can USUALLY find a message.

Remember: a man, convinced against his will, is of the same opinion, still.
Old 03-01-2009, 21:10   #27

Boat: 32' CC Oday
If I was a CF administrator I dont think I would offer any explanations at this time (in the heat of the moment). It would only serve to add fuel to the fire.

Things sometimes have a way of working themselves out; lets see what develops.

Bernard Moitessier
Old 03-01-2009, 21:41   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Perhaps I am being overly simplistic but when we post something on a Forum and it is not well received by the Administration or other members…. it is criticized!

If that criticism is argued “ad nausea” the Mods quite rightly so can decide to Close that thread and give everyone a chance to reflect…or simply move on.

When a post by a member is deleted without any explanation… all that remains is a loss of context and also a loss of trust in the openness of this process by members who don’t understand what happened.

Constructive Criticism we can all take and is part of the learning and defining process as are the common sense rules this forum adheres to.

Hidden censorship or the removal of context is insulting and only breeds mistrust and a desire to find something less Orwellian.

Recognizing I am a guest in this forum, I will monitor the Mods openness to clarify their actions and decide if my welcome now has too high a price.
Old 03-01-2009, 22:48   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I love this forum, and I've been involved as a mod on a few including one that I started, owned and brought up like my own baby. Since I started my cruising life I let that one go to a friend who I think will do a good job with it. But I don't know. Anyway it doesn’t matter as now its his baby.

Those that run this forum also must feel its their 'baby'. All senior members, like Chuck, are highly valued (and Chuck should be extremely highly valued) but its a world of democracy amongst members... the choice to come and go. But for owners their ain't no choice for democracy, as these things cost time and money.

Chuck I salute you for your great posts.
Cruisers Forum I salute you for Cruisers Forum.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 03-01-2009, 22:54   #30

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I do to but..

Like Acoustic..I also Invite all to give Cruising Anarchy part of Sailing Anarchy . com but a lot friendlier at try..I have met great people there as well as here... I have not ever been on probation anywhere but here...

The value of a Form is made by its contributors not its creators..I think that ideal has been forgotten somewhat.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Closed Thread