Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 08:31   #136
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaMouse View Post
I am new to this Forum and I have to say I had no idea so many children owned boats! Amazing. Chuck has had his 15 minutes -- can't we move on?

This is perfectly ridiculous -- he is not the only knowledgeable poster . . .
Well said, MatildaMouse - excellent observation! I had always thought that Leonard Wibberley's The Mouse that Roared was a brilliant, satirical send-up of modern international politics. I see, now, that the title of that classic has an application here, as well.

Welcome to the Forum!

TaoJones
Old 06-01-2009, 08:39   #137
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I don't think I have ever had a conversation of 15 minutes, or longer with another human. That did not sooner, or later drift off to another conversation. Nearly all conversations sooner, or later drift.

Being mean & rude should not be tolerated, but drifting isn't going to hurt. In someway the drift is related to the topic most times. We have gone from analyzing a starting problem to oil consumption. It's still the motor. Even though the 2 are barely related. I don't get the fascination with a wee bit of drift?

Soft Air,

HE
Old 06-01-2009, 08:40   #138
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Soft Air,

HE SURE DID
Old 06-01-2009, 12:42   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
... I had always thought that Leonard Wibberley's The Mouse that Roared was a brilliant, satirical send-up of modern international politics. I see, now, that the title of that classic has an application here, as well...
Well known for his satirical novels about the fictional Duchy of Grand Fenwick, whose political problems illuminate those of larger nations, Wibberly, also wrote several sailing books, including “Hound of the Sea”, and “Toward a Distant Island“.

Old 06-01-2009, 15:05   #140

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
What is to stop one editing their post BEFORE they submit it .

One then gets a bit of time if you notice a typo after posting for correction. If one change ones mind as to what was wanted to say sometime after that one can only assume that one didn't know what they were talking about or didn't really want to say what they said - which then raises the question as to why they bothered posting it in the first place.

If one makes a genuine error in giving advice, one can always correct it in a subsequent post - well, that is what I do (on the very rare occasion I make a genuine error ) but I can understand others would like to just quietly correct themselves a day later and hope no one notices . If one makes some silly post after being on the turps for too long, well that's what the moderators are for and will give the rest of us a giggle until they notice it .

In the end we're none of us (I hope) thinking we are writing an encyclopedia or a paper worthy of a Nobel Prize here so what the hell if something is not quite right. Maybe some take it all (and maybe themselves) too seriously.
Yep........
Old 06-01-2009, 15:14   #141

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
"Next time you see someones post either eliminated or modified, take note that it probably had absolutely nothing directly to do with boating."

So move it to a "Nothing to do with boating'" section but LEAVE the members alone!

Patrick
Old 07-01-2009, 03:50   #142

Boat: Valiant 50
Here's my 50 Billion Madoff Dollars worth:

This is a cruising forum - I am not interested in anyone's political or moral soapbox. I applaud the moderators efforts in reining in these issues.

Despite the vast amount of collective knowledge here, I have minimized (by 90%) the time I spend browsing this forum because I perceive a strong bias in favor of certain vendors. I am disappointed that the moderators have relinquished the high moral ground in favor of commercial self interest.

This may be one reason why there are a growing number of ex-CF members drifting away to other sites - e.g. the "dot org" one and that new breakaway multi hull one where the owner is identifiable and fully discloses his interests.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:59   #143

I don't see much politics here and I don't come here to engage in political discussions. An occasional dig at some pol of country is no biggie and if a discussion were to head off as political figth I would not follow the thread.

There is a touchy subject about poster's opinions (reviews) of products. These are anacdotal and can be read as bashing (in the case of harsh criticism) of a product and a manufacturer. My response is - So what? Not every customer will be satisfied and most mfg's know it, expect it and deal with it. And most know that there are online exposures to this. No biggie. It may cause them to pay more attention to their products. I seriously doubt if a libel lawsuit would result.

Does anyone know of a lawsuit resulting from a critical review or bashing on a "public" website? In this industry? If it's not happening why the censorship?

So let's say I bash X brand really scathingly and they contact the site owners. Suppose the site owners say that it's free speech and if they want to sure for libel go ahead. So the lawyers have a go it this and the first thing the site owner's do is say take me out of this and go after the person who caused the libel, we can't be resposible for every word written and that's BS anyway. We only provide a forum for the exchange of info. We're like the telehone compnay... you gonna allege treason them because someone used the phones to plot an overthrough of the government. What I am trying to say is that these cases of bashing X marine company are never going to even get to the lawyer exchanging letter stage in 99.99999999% of the cases.

Democracy and free speech is much more important than worrying about keeping jerking lawyers away.

Mods you read that? Go sailing.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:06   #144

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
You guys are really gettin' out of hand. Why dont ya cut the Mods pay too? Whats half of nothing? How much did YOU pay for the privilege of perusing this site today? From what I can see, we all want Chuck back. Just go alittle easier...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 07-01-2009, 05:31   #145

We don't pay anything. WE are the site because if WE don't post anything there IS no site.

The founders sell advertising to pay for the server, the access and the software. They may not be getting rich, but it's not a labor or love, I suspect. Anyone who takes a mod role simply has an authority thing going on. Someone has to be a cop. They may bitch and complain about it but they do it because they LIKE to do it.

Why do they LIKE to mod? I wanna read it.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:19   #146

Boat: Valiant 50
Lets not be unkind. The moderators do a fantastic job. I am grateful to them for the numerous unpaid hours they put into it.

Thank You guys.

DefJef : My earlier post was never meant as a starter to bash the moderators please retract your post, it is uncalled for and totally unfair. They really are decent, honorable gentlemen.

My comment was more about the stealthy commercial nature of the forum.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:38   #147

Boat: Mariner 40 - Sea Trek
Wow

Hummm... a lot for a newbie to absorb... Don and I are the new owners of Chuck and Susan's previous boat SeaTrek. Chuck is the one who invited us to join CF. It is true we have learned much from reading the post on CF, however, not half as much as I have learned from this thread.

It is my opinion, that mine will not always match those of others. It is also my opinion that this is okay. We are all living this life to escape exactly what is happening here.

Some of the first advice given to us about the pros of the cruiser lifestyle, "If you don't like the neighbors and neighborhood move the boat"... sounds like good advice all the way around.

Chuck and Susan, we will see you on other sites, and hopefully before we leave Dataw Island at the end of the month.:cubalibre

Fair Winds!

"Our sails are set with courage and determination to live our life as told by the heart." Not all adults are meant to be grown-ups. We are proof of that!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:59   #148
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
I am sure that after so many thousand of hits and posts we are about to see an official post from Andy and Janet

Even when trying to leave the CF.com Chuck left footprints full of knowledge for all to learn

He will be back.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:02   #149

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
We don't pay anything. WE are the site because if WE don't post anything there IS no site.

The founders sell advertising to pay for the server, the access and the software. They may not be getting rich, but it's not a labor or love, I suspect. Anyone who takes a mod role simply has an authority thing going on. Someone has to be a cop. They may bitch and complain about it but they do it because they LIKE to do it.

Why do they LIKE to mod? I wanna read it.
I see this as a bit over the top...lots of people volunteer for lots of reasons...I see these guys contribution as being honorable and selfless....and definitely necessary....has nothing to do with agreeing with them or not.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:54   #150
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Moderators are almost always asked to take the job. Most look back on the job and think "what was I thinking!!!". It really is very difficult. And no, it's not an authority thing. Mods are generally very reluctant to wack a thread or poster. It's WAY more hassle to do that then let it ride.

As for this site owners. I'm guessing that they've read this thread, and are now thinking: "why do we do this? For all of this kind of crap?". BTW, there's no real money in this - banner ads pay for the server and expenses. And yes, I'm sure this WAS a "labor of love". Now, maybe not.

Just my $0.02.

Those that blast the mods, need to walk in their shoes...
Closed Thread