Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 06:46   #76

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Re: Getting stoned with savages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
Is everybody who drinks alcohol an alcoholic?
Well, let's see.. if consumption of alcohol was illegal and one chose to drink it anyway wouldn't that be regarded as an unhealthy relationship to alcohol or, indeed, substance abuse?

I know that cannabis/THC may be legal in some states but that was intended only for medicinal purposes. If somebody got hold of prescription pain-killers and consumed them for recreational purposes, how would you look upon that?

Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47   #77

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Getting stoned with savages

I am all for legalization of pot primarily to get the gangsters on the tax rolls. And even tho many/most of us don't mind pot, we still have to deal with the goddamned govt types who do.

But meanwhile, it's silly to think that even a benign discussion like this isn't being monitored, at least electronically. At least in the US, home of the eye in the sky.

I have to wonder about a discussion in public like this if I were actually underway in my well-described boat with family, etc, say from Key West heading North.

Fearless or foolish?

Thanks to Pelagic, Del, and others who tried to cap this Pandora's jar early on. $5 says the mods have already been active behind the scenes...er screens.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:51   #78

Boat: Lagoon 440

Whilst laws exist cruisers that venture from there country must respect all the laws of the country they are in, ok that's a given.

Altering reality is and always has been a part of most civilisations.

I think only Australian aboriginals had no narcotic in there lives prior to white men's involvment.

Not sure i agree about generational.

Money is the driver behind all drug pushers/sales simple as that.

I can see the point to legalisation of mary-j however at this juncture it's a crime in most places so it's a given to NOT be involved as a yacht owner.

P.S.....
Jeffs attributation of his title to Troost's book would be fine if he mentioned it in the first post HOWEVER he didn't UNTIL the 70th ........ The Belize story is fine the title is crap.
Only my opinion bang your head as much as you wish....
Old 10-04-2012, 07:00   #79

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
I think only Australian aboriginals had no narcotic in there lives prior to white men's involvment.
Australian Indigenous peoples used/use a variety of Aboriginal drugs made from native plants. Many of these were nicotine-based, the most effective being Pituri, not only an Aboriginal drug, but also Aboriginal currency.

Duboisia hopwoodii is the western scientific name for the Pituri shrub. Of all the Aboriginal drugs, Pituri had the highest nicotine content. It also held the greatest value as currency, and thus the "Pituri Standard" was born. The plant was produced in vast quantities, selectively bred by Aboriginal scientists, and cultivated by Aboriginal farmers, then shipped off to fill orders along trade routes all over the continent. This drug-based economy linked with trade routes through Arnhem land and into Asia, regulated by the Yolngu-Macassan Trade Agreement that was going strong back when Europe was still in the dark ages!

The above comment in no way should be construed as an opinion or statement for or against with respect to the illegal use of narcotics...
Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:02   #80

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

Who remembers the movie, "Midnight Express". I know the guy was trying to smuggle not just enjoy some fine hash, BUT, I don't want any part of confinement ANYWHERE
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:13   #81
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

The variety of attitudes here is amazing. and sometimes pretty entertaining.

it's almost enough to get me to drinking solvents again.

Naaaah. Even though it's legal.

I was curious, however, about those guys who follow the accepted behaviours wherever they are in the world. For example, what would you be doing in a country where nobody gets upset about using hashish/marijuana/opium.....but will come down real, real hard on you for possession of alcohol?

thinking more about it, I was thinking about those who would control what another is using for whatever reason. I know that if I am driving home late at night, and see another vehicle coming toward me on a two lane road, and the choice is whether he has been drinking solvents or inhaling a herb.....my choice is pretty easy on that one.

If he's drunk my life is in danger. If he's stoned....only my Cheetos.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:19   #82

Boat: C&C Redwing 30

While in Bequia many years ago we were approached often to purchage all manner of recreational substances but declined for many of the reasons above. One night we had a few locals over for beers and got to talkng about it. They warned us to steer clear because the local scam was : Sell you the drugs--Tell the police you are holding-- They arrest you-- The judge posts bail at a high but attainable price---you pay, then skip off the island. They keep the original purchase price , the drugs, and a healthy bail as thier profit. Not as bad as Midnight Express but who needs it? Beer and wine work for me, thanks.
chantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:22   #83

Boat: C&C Redwing 30

P.S. Our local friends said they could carry all the weed or hash they could handle and never be bothered. Police only went after the tourists, back then anyway.
chantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23   #84

Not being racist myself the thought of it being construed as such had not occurred to me. As such I had no reason t qualify it. To assume the worst possible intent from a statement is a level of political correctness I'm not willing to approach.
jeffknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23   #85

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I would agree, doing anything illegal overseas where you dont really know whats up is not a good idea. I honestly am slightly scared to go anywhere laws are shadely inforced by a crooked government.
That leaves one or two uninhabited islands.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:33   #86
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post

I laugh at the attempts to legitimise the stuff, hey it makes the best denim, hey it is great rope and wow it's the best pain killer!!!!!
Some countries have looked into the problem in a bit more depth.

Ten Years After Decriminalization, Drug Abuse Down by Half in Portugal - Forbes

Scribd
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:51   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Australian Indigenous peoples used/use a variety of Aboriginal drugs made from native plants. Many of these were nicotine-based, the most effective being Pituri, not only an Aboriginal drug, but also Aboriginal currency.

Duboisia hopwoodii is the western scientific name for the Pituri shrub. Of all the Aboriginal drugs, Pituri had the highest nicotine content. It also held the greatest value as currency, and thus the "Pituri Standard" was born. The plant was produced in vast quantities, selectively bred by Aboriginal scientists, and cultivated by Aboriginal farmers, then shipped off to fill orders along trade routes all over the continent. This drug-based economy linked with trade routes through Arnhem land and into Asia, regulated by the Yolngu-Macassan Trade Agreement that was going strong back when Europe was still in the dark ages!

The above comment in no way should be construed as an opinion or statement for or against with respect to the illegal use of narcotics...
LMAO stuff of opinion and quite likely fairytales. Yes there are caves showing Indonesion sailing boats yes there are blond haired fair complexion inhabitants in parts of NW Australia over to Arnhem land HOWEVER it's a very long bow to draw for your googled research to draw the conclusion that early Australians dealt with a drug trade prior to white man's arrival......
Old 10-04-2012, 07:53   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffknox View Post
Not being racist myself the thought of it being construed as such had not occurred to me. As such I had no reason t qualify it. To assume the worst possible intent from a statement is a level of political correctness I'm not willing to approach.
Your words, your statement in plain english. Quote your related publication and your statement has a different connection however prior to that your title stood as written.......
Old 10-04-2012, 07:56   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantler View Post
While in Bequia many years ago we were approached often to purchage all manner of recreational substances but declined for many of the reasons above. One night we had a few locals over for beers and got to talkng about it. They warned us to steer clear because the local scam was : Sell you the drugs--Tell the police you are holding-- They arrest you-- The judge posts bail at a high but attainable price---you pay, then skip off the island. They keep the original purchase price , the drugs, and a healthy bail as thier profit. Not as bad as Midnight Express but who needs it? Beer and wine work for me, thanks.
Found the same scam in India in the late 70's, i was approached by a customs officer to purchase alcohol on his behalf....... I refused and melted into the crowd only to see him later guarding the inspection/quarantine area......
Old 10-04-2012, 07:58   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Some countries have looked into the problem in a bit more depth.

Ten Years After Decriminalization, Drug Abuse Down by Half in Portugal - Forbes

Scribd
I don't discount results of pro-active action, my comments stand as an observation.

Tags
belize