Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2015, 08:23   #1

Getting Screwed in NC

I've been a voyeur on this site for awhile and have noticed how helpful everyone can be...which is why I'm finally posting...I need help.

I have a small rental property in Charlotte NC that my tenant recently vacated and left in shambles. My management company is trying to charge me $5,000 for paint, carpet and minor repairs. I'm not a contractor, but this seems excessive to me. They are estimating 36 hours for repairs, not including painting.

To make matters worse, I live in CA and my husband and I are preparing to leave on the Baja HaHa in October as the start of our long-term cruising plan , so I have my hands full with boat work. I'm really stressed right now and certainly didn't need this added to my to do list. If anyone knows someone in the area that could help me with this, I would certainly appreciate the referral. I've included the list of work and the estimate I have received below.

Soffit repair - Estimated labor 4.5 hrs, estimated materials $60
seal all exterior penetrations in siding, soffit, fascia - Estimated labor 2.25 hrs, estimated materials $30
spray weeds/ivy growing onto home with Round Up - Estimated labor 0.5 hrs, estimated materials $35
remove limbs,leaves, debris on roof with pressure washing - $119
Roof/attic inspection to source water leak: $89

Interior:

home needs all new carpet, full paint for all walls, doors and trim. All switch and electrical plates are painted and should be replaced but am not including this for this estimate

Janitorial clean, including clean out of all cabs/drawers, vent register and window sills: $165
Debris removal - $75
Roach bombs - Estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $30

Foyer:

replace electrical plate- Estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $5
wall repair- Estimated labor 0.75 hrs, estimated materials $15
remove curtains and debris

Ba 1:

replace door handle - Estimated labor 0.5 hrs, estimated materials $15
secure toilet seat - Estimated labor 0.25 hr
secure shower escutcheon plates; silicone around plumbing fixtures: bath, sink, toilet base and sink base- Estimated labor 1.0 hrs, estimated materials $25
install shower splash guards on bathtub AND, on sink: Estimated labor 0.5 hrs, estimated materials $40
blinds - Estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $20
wall repair - Estimated labor 0.75 hrs, estimated materials $60
switch cover - Estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $5
composite back splash @ sink- Estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $20
new shoe molding along and behind sink and at tub - Estimated labor 1.5 hrs, estimated materials $60
install shower diverter- Estimated labor 0.75 hrs, estimated materials $30

living room:

replace vent register: estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $15
Blinds x 2: estimated labor 0.50 hrs, estimated materials $40
wall repair - estimated labor 1.5 hrs, estimated materials $15
replace phone jack covers: estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $10
wall plate : estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $5
light bulb - estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $5
remove curtains

Kitchen:

secure seal on window - estimated labor 0.50 hrs, estimated materials $15
paint uppers cabinets, outside only - estimated labor 2.5 hrs, estimated materials $45 (OR, could paint same color as walls/trim, in which there would be no material cost for this line item. Otherwise, we would paint a semigloss)
replace switch plates x 4 = estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $15
caulk/silicone all counter edges and seams - estimated labor 1.25 hrs, estimated materials $30
wall repair - estimated labor 0.75 hrs
ceiling repair - estimated labor 3.25 hrs, estimated materials $30
blinds need clip to secure to bracket - estimated labor n/c, estimated materials $5
door jam repair and paint - estimated labor 3.25 hrs, estimated materials $20
secure false drawer @ sink (glue) - estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $10

hallway:

wall repair, especially corners - estimated labor 0.75 hrs, estimated materials $5
smoke detector battery - 10 year lithium - estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $10
replace carpet

BR 1:

smoke detector - estimated labor 0.50 hrs, estimated materials $25
door stop - estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $5
wall and trim repair - estimated labor 1.0 hrs, estimated materials $15
bifold door repair and replace knob - estimated labor 1.0 hrs, estimated materials $15
replace carpet
remove curtains

BR 2:

secure door hinges - estimated labor 0.25 hrs
light fixture globe - estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $15
smoke detector - estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $25
door stop - estimated labor 0.25 hrs, estimated materials $5
sand window/trim and treat with mold cleaner BEFORE PAINTING - estimated labor 1.25 hrs, estimated materials $25
replace carpet

BR 3:

replace carpet
remove curtains

Totals

labor estimate: 36.5 hrs x $50 = $1825
Paint entire home: $1199
Carpet replacement: $80
Misc Vendor estimates: $373
Materials Estimate: $855

Thanks so much for reading this and helping me if you can.
CalChica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 08:33   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Getting Screwed in NC

After reading through the quote the totals at the bottom actually add up to $4332.00 which is 13% less than $5000.

First, are you sure there is actual damage to the premise? How do you know?

Lastly, and IMHO you are getting a deal for $4332.00 if the damages are real. What's the best you will do otherwise? Get an unknown person in to do the repairs, maybe ripping you off or doing a lousy job to save $500.00 bucks.

Save your energy to get ready for the trip.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 08:46   #3

Seems reasonable to me. Pay it and move on.

Getting a contractor to work on this stuff is a PITA. If you have someone that bid on the work, and wants the job, give it to them. Finding a contractor locally is quite a bit of work. I would hate to try to do it from the other end of the country especially when you are trying to leave on a cruise.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 08:48   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Welcom to the world of the absentee landlord. We recently had to spend more than $30 big ones to take care of tenants neglect on a house. Do what you can to make sure others are aware of these tenants neglect of the property. How much of the damage was actually normal wear and tear?? Carpeting doesn't last forever and houses do need to be painted occasionally.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 08:50   #5

It doesn't say how many sq ft of carpet. But it sounds not bad $ wise to me.
I hate having things done without being there or inspecting before and after though. Depends on how much you trust your management.... and it doesn't sound like you do very much!
Some of the labor quotes are high..like .25 hours + $5 material to replace a switch plate ....but I think they just use 1/4 hour minimum.
While that may be high, other less easy things may be way low.. often the case when estimating.
*I would at least have them give you specifications for the carpet etc for your approval.
*I would probably indicate to them that you will come out to inspect it when complete. (then opt out when they say they are ready!)
*Have they sent you video? In today's world you would think they would do that. Even an Iphone is great at that now days.

Bottom line is leave the management co with the impression that you are going to be all over this.... even if you cant! Ask a lot of questions about whose doing the work, what they have done before etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 08:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
After reading through the quote the totals at the bottom actually add up to $4332.00 which is 13% less than $5000.
I think there is a type on the $80 for carpet. I bet it is really $800.

Moot point really. Just pay up and move on.

Personally, I would fix up the house and sell it. No way would I own residential rental. Too much risk and worry. The housing market in my area of NC is supposed to be back to 2008 levels and I would think Charlotte would have a good housing market.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 08:59   #7

Boat: Celestial 48

This is why many people figure it is better to sell the house off and be done with it.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 09:04   #8

Boat: Skookum 53'

Recently had a hot heater leak in my rented condo, and the water got into the one below it, $1500 to dry out both and replace the hot water heater. You got off with a reasonable repair, sell the house, put the money into utility stocks and collect a 7% dividend and get on with your cruising life.
Old 22-06-2015, 09:17   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Did your management co. provide photos, documenting the claimed repair list?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 09:34   #10

Boat: TBD

We recently had two renters leave about six months apart (two separate rental townhomes) and both left town leaving the places in shambles. One was like the garbage homes you see on TV. We could take them to court, but neither has any money.

Each of them cost us over $4000 to repaint, repair, and new carpeting.

Owning rental property is just horrible. I don't know how I got sucked into it.
hblask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 09:38   #11

Boat: Monk 36

We sold our rental house years ago. The last tenant did some creative remodeling without permission. Then he proceeded to get ejected from the roof of his car and got killed. His family's lawyers told us to send in the security deposit and stand in line for repair money.

With an appropriate gesture, we kept the deposit, one that fell woefully short, and effected the repairs.

Sorry for your situation, but like others have said, it's a PIA.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 09:41   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Get bids from a few contractors to do the repairs. Show those bids to your management company to prove that their price is out of line. Or hire one of the contractors to do the repair work.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 09:52   #13

If it takes you a long time to get it done, you will lose the amount you think you are being overcharged in lost rent. You can also raise the rent after the repairs to make up for the charges.
tdominic_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 09:56   #14

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

After tearing out all the soiled carpet (always wondered why the little kid never had pants on) , fixing the roof leak and painting over the ugly red paint in our rental house, I sold it.
These time estimates and materials costs look very reasonable to me (and I am cheap) . How much would this cost in CA?
move on....
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 10:07   #15

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

You really can't blame the roof and soffit repair on the tenant unless they were up there for some reason. Some of the other stuff could just be normal wear and tear like when was the last time it was painted and how old is the carpet?
I do like the cost of an "electrical plate" at $5. Those are 69 cents at the expensive stores.
Good luck.

Tags
crew