Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 20:38   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Well, did you go to find relative bearing grease? A left handed monkey wrench? Did you find the golden rivet? Sea bats? Striping brush in the paint locker? Oh yeh, that one was ok.
Its all part of growing up. If you didn't participate, you didn't have much fun.

I've hung seaman who screwed with my coffee. They'll never find the bodies. If you got away with it Cosmos, you were lucky to live to tell the tale. : )

Kind regards,

JohnL (retired CMC)
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:29   #17

At the risk of showing my age, as a seaman boy (aged 16) we still had oil lamps for emergwency navigation lights.
Yes new sailors were sent to get red oil for the port light and green for the starboard.
It was quite an exercise lighting and trimming to get the damn thingsd to burn without smoking the glass!
Old 11-07-2009, 04:25   #18

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I've hung seaman who screwed with my coffee. They'll never find the bodies. If you got away with it Cosmos, you were lucky to live to tell the tale. : )
Amen - you don't mess with a sailor's coffee. It's a safety issue. Can't imagine standing the mids without that jolt of caffeine. We nearly keel-hauled one fellow who suggested brewing de-caf
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:58   #19

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Decaf? To this day I do not understand decaf, or OdDools for that matter.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:39   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Decaf? To this day I do not understand decaf, or OdDools for that matter.
OdDools??? Not sure, but did you mean http://www.frontiersaloon.com/BeerTa...lsBrew12oz.jpg , perhaps?

TaoJones
Old 11-07-2009, 08:46   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
"Go get me 300 feet of waterline. I think the snipes have some."

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:46   #22

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Alcohol free beer! Decaf coffee! I know they didn't have such things in Europe or in Asia back in the 70s and 80s. Is it only in America?

What's the point?

How about let's sell some inflammable gasoline?

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:48   #23

Boat: 1976,Irwin 37 CC, Blue Bayou
One of our guys in CIC who was a kind of wise ass, who was getting out was on the ships quarterdeck team to build a ships picture board of it's officers, to be posted on the quarterdeck while in port. He told them that there was an old jewish saying for good luck the was spelled "BOHICA" well all the officers thought it was a wonderfull idea, so they made up this big 4ft board and posted it on the quaterdeck with the word BOHICA in brass right at the top of the board.
Long story short, as the commanding officer (co) was showing this board off to the squadron commander, the guy fm CIC was leaving the ship because this was his last day in the navy and as he was saluting the flag he leaned over to the CO standing beside the squandron commander and said, parden me Capt. but you should know that the word on the top of the board really means "BEND OVER HERE IT COMES AGAIN". Everybody on the quarterdeck thought the CO was going to have a big vapor lock, he got so mad he kicked the board over and screamed at the exective officer that heads would roll and someone was going to pay.
I can't remember ever seeing so many people running around like a chicken with it's head off faster.

Mike
OSCS retired
mmckee1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 13:49   #24

You know, it is real funny how getting a commission ruins one's sense of humor.

Once we were doing an UNREP (Under way replenishment) and I was in charge of the crew, the stran and hose that for fuel trolleyed over on. I had an Ensign that was the "Safety Officer" fresh from the Academy with an attitude. His job was 2 fold, 1. To watch, keep his mouth shut and learn something and 2. IF he saw something unsafe he was to come to me and point it out. This unrep was one of many I had done, far more than I could or can remember.

The Captain called for an emergency breakway after the tanks were full, which was SOP more often than not. This Ensign goes into panic mode and says, let go the pelican hook. I said But... and before I could explain that we needed to disconnect the hose first, allow the sending ship to pull the hose partially back, he screamed, "That is an order sailor". I looked at the crew, and said, "You get that guys". I saw smiles and a lot of nods. I hit the keeper on the hook, thereby releasing the stran which really screwed up the only fueling port we had, tore up the hose and just generally fubared everything.

The Captain came boiling off the Bridge, ignored his ensign and said, "What the hell happened here Boats" I told him. Next thing the Captain said was, Ensign...Ward Room, and he whirrled and left right smartly with a then meek ensign following along. I never heard anything more about it. Funny, all the enlisted thought the whole thing was hilarious, but the Officers?? Not so much.

Another Destroyer came out, replaced us and we headed for Subic for repairs. I did not buy a beer on that in port liberty. There was no carrier in Subic, and the price of everything, and I do mean everything was much cheaper.
Old 11-07-2009, 14:31   #25

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
You know, it is real funny how getting a commission ruins one's sense of humor.

... I was in charge of the crew, the stran and hose that for fuel trolleyed over on...

I hit the keeper on the hook, thereby releasing the stran which really screwed up the only fueling port we had, tore up the hose and just generally fubared everything.

...Funny, all the enlisted thought the whole thing was hilarious, but the Officers?? Not so much.
So you caused tens of thousands of dollars in damages to two ships (what the heck, it's just taxpayers' money), dumped who knows how much DFO into the sea (hmmm, good for the fishies) and made your ship combat ineffective --- all in a petty attempt to show up some newbie. It wasn't the commission that set the officers apart - it was their sense of pride and professionalism.

For what it's worth, the vast majority of non-com's in the Canadian Navy are professionals who would never consider doing what you did.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 14:53   #26

Boat: 1987 Watkins 25 Wu-Hsin
As a Radioman (RM) in the late '60s early '70s we used 1800 ft open reels of paper tape about an inch wide punched with 5 holes across the tape. Various combinations of holes equated to letters, numbers and characters. The messages we handled were punched out on these tapes as temp storage then burned after retransmission. The punch-outs or 'chad' got messy so they invented 'chadless tape' that only punched a semi-circle. As the tape reels ran out they were dyed sometimes red sometimes green sometimes yellow as a warning. Red Green And yellow were also coincidently used as security classifications Red top secret, yellow secret, green confidental. We used to put two colored pieces together then run them through a teletype machine and the chadless effect would hinge them together. We would then send newbies after 'Secret/Confidential tape'.
cosmosmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 15:04   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
So you caused tens of thousands of dollars in damages to two ships (what the heck, it's just taxpayers' money), dumped who knows how much DFO into the sea (hmmm, good for the fishies) and made your ship combat ineffective --- all in a petty attempt to show up some newbie. It wasn't the commission that set the officers apart - it was their sense of pride and professionalism.

For what it's worth, the vast majority of non-com's in the Canadian Navy are professionals who would never consider doing what you did.
I NEVER Did NOR WOULD I DISOBEY A DIRECT ORDER FROM AN OFFICER!

That is a good way to get court marshalled, I would buck a Chief, or a First Class Petty Oficer, but once you go comissioned, I do what I am told. I had no idea what all would happen, I followed orders. Had I been on a sub, where enlisted men get the respect they deserve, perhaps. Where I was, with the conditions on that ship and pretty well the majority of the surface Navy then (and most likely today), I would do exactly the same thing.
Old 11-07-2009, 17:18   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post

Now if you want to go here, and you don't , start another thread in the Off topic area and call it The Rant. Disobeying a lawful order from a senior (officer or not) is punishable by, as a minimum, Non-Judicial Punishment aka a Captains Mast or by a Court Martial. Senior officers say "That's how officers learn". Start that thread somewhere else and I'll tell you how I was railroaded into a Captains Mast by officers and Non-Coms (confirmed by the Admin Chief when we both mustered out) who didn't like me and how I appealed to the Rear Admiral (Rembrant C. Robinson) and won. There are as many Machiavellians (and @_s holes in the services (of all countries) as there are in big business.
Old 11-07-2009, 17:40   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post

Kind regards,

JohnL (retired CMC)
Compared to when I was 19 years old I am now 'one laid back MF'. However I NEVER went looking for trouble. But if someone, anyone, wanted to show me how big an @_s hole he was I always obliged by showing him that I could be an even bigger @_s hole. Even the Navy learned the meaning of the phrase, 'Screw me once, shame on me, screw me twice shame on you'! But in my case once was all it took. My dad told me when I was a teenager, 'Never let me hear that you started a fight. But if someone else starts a fight with you, YOU better finish it'. The fight can be physical or legal or moral it doesn't matter. I am a Romantic at heart but every once in a while someone makes me go to that place. I've learned in my 'old age' to just walk away from some. But this thread is for the FUNNY stuff!
Old 11-07-2009, 18:05   #30

ok, Funny...

Standing on the focsle, the bridge looking down, pulling up to the pier, one sailor says to another, (not me this time); either guy but a witness, one 'sez, Betcha $10 (1968) you can't hit the ships car with that monkey fist.

Yep, right through the windshield. Hellofaheave. The focsle crew shook hands and patted him on the back, all this as the officers on the bridge looked on. There was not any charges, the heaver was getting out at the end of the week.

The skipper went home via Capt. Gig to Coronado, ships ugly Chevy Station Wagon went to the shop.

Tags
funny, navy