Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 10:35   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Heh.. and someone from there just showed up at me door. I shoulda sent him to talk to ya.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:30   #32
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBellies View Post
She was cut up for salvage...... If you take a piece of crap, you have to dispose (LEGALLY) of said piece of crap.

What sort of cost are we looking at when disposing of that size sail boat?

Just a estimate is fine

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:54   #33

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
Heh. I can give you exact numbers. $60 per ton for the hull cut down into human manageable pieces. So for the average 25' fiberglass boat about $100. But, let's then add about $500 for parts resold on eBay, $80 for the rail and spars (selling a mast/boom takes more time than I want one laying in my yard) $25 for the keel (if you have a truck to haul it) and up to $100 for the chainplates, stanchions, hinges and other stainless hardware (again assuming you can't sell it for reuse) leaves around $600 profit. I've cleared $1200 on a boat to include resale of useable gear. It would be more but again, I'm not Bacon Marine, I don't have a warehouse open to the public.
RedBellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:12   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
leaves around $600 profit.
Cheeky feller! Well done!!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:54   #35

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
I had mentioned awhile back about the boat that sets on the dock in front of mine.. Its a Choey Lee offshore 31...But the guy was asking 10k for it.. after a couple months he realized the boat wasnt going to sell..
End result, He paid someone 2k to take it off his hands...They are presently going throu the boat to take it out cruising again..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:03   #36
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Our first yacht was a 32ft Eliminator (built in Perth, Scotland) that survived the Kuwait invasion because it had had her plug pulled and was sat at the bottom of the Marina for the two years. When we saw her, she had been raised and sat on the hard for ten years. She had a hull, a mast and a loo, nothing else. It took a good while and many dinari to rebuild - and bottles of special tea for the guys at the marina (and we nowhere near made our money back when we sold her on to buy a bigger boat). BUT it was worth the experience just so that when we rebuilt our second boat - the one we intend to sail off on - we had worked out what we liked, what worked etc....

She was relaunched on Valentine's Day (she was red as well, that was a romantic moment), and the mast went through the loo when we restepped it; but later that day we took her on passage to Bahrain for the Open Regatta. The lugs didn't work, so the genoa was hanked on with duck tape... but we hit Force 5 winds off Saudi with 30ft swells and she held up just fine! Like I said - worth the experience!

BUT it's heart breaking to see her just sitting again and breaking up now she's been sold on again, and the new guy doesn't sail because 'the batteries are flat.....'
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 13:11   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"more time than I want one laying in my yard"
And then of course, there's the value of the yard and having zoning that would allow you to run a breaker's yard in the first place.<G>
Most non-profits aren't interested in expanding into new territory or risking diluting their charter, and their charter may be pretty specific about what it allows and doesn't allow, even if the folks running it are interested.
If you really want to clean up the waters though, most states make it fairly simple to apply for a non-profit charter, often only $200-500 up front, and then registering with the IRS is either nominal or free to get that vital 501(c)3 status. Some lawyers and law firms will simetimes even do the paperwork for free as their pro-bono service.
Odds are the hardest part of things will be that as soon as you get formal or frequent about it, someone is going to get upset about whether your local zoning laws allow you to run a "scrap yard".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 14:50   #38

Boat: Cal 2-46 Splish Splash
Angry Abandon boats

Like Hello Sailor, I to have a hard time understanding why some folks just let a boat go all to pieces instead of just giving it away to someone or an organization who might really want a boat and will care for it properly. I am moored in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico and see quite a number of once wonderful sailing craft just rotting away in the tropical sun. Last winter I actually watched for three days as a 29 footer tied up across the channel from me slowly sank even though the owner had been contacted when it was first realized that she was going down and several other folks in the marina were ready with pumps and whatever else necessary to save her. Oh well, I just hope Davy Jones has something special in store for those sorts of people (I can't call them sailors)
SeaSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 15:17   #39

Just to clarify, I don't run a scrap yard from my driveway. A local marina allows me space in the boatyard in return for trade repairs they need on the grounds. I have no space for storage so if something large doesn't sell fast it gets cut up for the value of the metals. Or it gets stolen, sold for recycle and used to buy crack, methamphetamine, heroin, cheap vodka, etc.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:23   #40

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Quote:
Just to clarify, I don't run a scrap yard from my driveway. A local marina allows me space in the boatyard in return for trade repairs they need on the grounds. I have no space for storage so if something large doesn't sell fast it gets cut up for the value of the metals. Or it gets stolen, sold for recycle and used to buy crack, methamphetamine, heroin, cheap vodka, etc.
You forgot the tylenol.
w1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:31   #41

Tylenol is so 1988... I'm all about the ibuprofen.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:58   #42

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Quote:
Tylenol is so 1988... I'm all about the ibuprofen.
Point taken.
w1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:56   #43

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Aww, c'mon...go old school!
BC Powder!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:56   #44

After reading about drugs, scrap and Chesapeake Bay, I'd like to get back to my original point in the opening post....there are no free boats in England! lol
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:18   #45
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"A local marina allows me "
Cool. Someplace that doesn't say "our insurance doesn't allow..." when you ask them the time of day.<G> Sounds like between you, you've worked out a practical way to get the "paperweights" put to a better use.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote