Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 10:54   #46

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
So are we to believe that British sailors are fastidious and do not let their boats sit at dock and fall into disrepair, or that they are embarrassingly stingy and ungenerous and would not give a moldy boat to a drowning man?

Or... both?

Or simply that the tax system in the UK would make it far from free to reassign a boat no matter the condition?
RedBellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 13:59   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
The lugs didn't work, so the genoa was hanked on with duck tape... but we hit Force 5 winds off Saudi with 30ft swells and she held up just fine!
Now there's an image -you should sell that story to the duct-tape company for ads!
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 15:56   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBellies View Post
So are we to believe that British sailors are fastidious and do not let their boats sit at dock and fall into disrepair
Far from it, in the UK boats seem to migrate inland into our canal systems and rivers on to cheaper moorings before being abandoned. Or simply left in boat yards for someone else to deal with. Our local boat yard has a corner on the hard standing. An excellent selection of yachts that haven't moved in years. Tightly packed together but doubtful that the owners will come back for them. Yacht clubs often use bonfirre night as a good excuse to get rid of old hulls. The truth as I think Newt said earlier is the cost of reftting them is often more than the cost of buying one up together.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 16:26   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Our local boat yard has a corner on the hard standing. An excellent selection of yachts that haven't moved in years. Tightly packed together but doubtful that the owners will come back for them.
Could you do me a huge favour? Speak to whoever is in charge next time you are there and ask them if, instead of using on bonfire night, could someone legally take one (with their permission of course)?

I asked my local boatyard and they say that its all fiction and that nobody abandons theor boat....at least not in their harbour lol

Thanks Pete

Tony
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 17:23   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tony of course. Is it a yacht your after? try some of the canal / sea enterances. There is one in liverpool that goes into the docks. Another with an interesting selection of boats at Hesketh bank on the Tarleton Branch of the Leeds and Liverpool canal. Whilst you are there pop into Douglas Boat Yard on the river Douglas (53 42 06N 002 49 51W) they always have a selection that look derilict, indeed they were trying to sell off some yachts on e bay in the spring without much sucess.

That sunk Buckley is still..........well sunk

Pete
Old 11-06-2010, 20:26   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I really should pop into my dinghy some day soon and snap a picture in the harbour here. There is a young fellow who has rafted up two ancient trawlers, a floating raft that has a truck camper sitting on it and an assortment of dinghys to a mooring bouy. Both of the trawlers have sunk at differnet times in the last six months and somehow he has managed to raise the dead and return them to the nest. It looks pretty much like you would expect it to look considering time spent on the bottom. I do believe he calls it home.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:21   #52

Quote:
Tony of course. Is it a yacht your after?
I'd prefer a Super Yacht! lol

I was looking for something large enough that after some TLC could be made into something that I could live on with my partner and daughter (who has agreed to my demands lol)

I will take a look at Hesketh Bank, it sounds like you know your way around there. Better than I do in fact! lol
Old 12-06-2010, 10:55   #53

Boat: not much yet
While I still do not have a decent boat, I have completed all of the buy a cheap boat/free boat exams. I have become an expert at cutting hulls up with a saws-all, into pieces small enough for bags in the regular trash, no less!
I currently own a nice little Puffer. The registration may be straightened sometime next spring if I am lucky.
I own an aluminum 16 footer from the Chesapeake Bay area that has a rotten keel and cotton sails. The perfect boat for this area, but I could buy several boats if I could afford the needed keel strip removal and metal replacement. It is a full 16 foot wide beam working type boat that I can put in a truck by hand, alone if needed. When aluminum goes back up, it will go too, I guess. Doesn't get much better in the easy lake sailing day boat group, and I have less invested than the metal is worth when the price is up, but a busted boat you have time, effort, and such invested in is not free.
I own three masts, two booms, about a dozen sails, several rudders, and three or four buckets of hardware.
That is the state of free/really cheap boats around here.
On the other hand, there is a 32 foot Saber on LOZ right now listed for 1900$, and a 23 foot Aquarius that had been in the barn being worked on when the owner died, is listed at 1600, but started at 1200.
I know those are not likely what you would want for deep water, but they represent the kind of boats that can be had for around 3000$ or less in the Midwest right now.
I scheme on all of them when I have time, and sooner or later, I will own one of them.
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 13:49   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
I was looking for something large enough that after some TLC could be made into something that I could live on with my partner and daughter (who has agreed to my demands lol)
I will take a look at Hesketh Bank, it sounds like you know your way around there. Better than I do in fact! lol
I grew up in Southport

Do you have the skills and time to fit out a blank hull? if so this guy is dreaming, but he has a number of hulls for sale that might suite you. I should add he has been trying to sell these for a couple of years but they are not that far from you and should be worth a low offer. However do a serious health check before embarking on this sort of project and fully cost it.

HARTLEY SOUTH SEAS LONG KEEL CRUISER YACHT PROJECT on eBay (end time 20-Jun-10 18:24:06 BST)

Pete
Old 12-06-2010, 16:56   #55

Quote:
I grew up in Southport

Do you have the skills and time to fit out a blank hull? if so this guy is dreaming, but he has a number of hulls for sale that might suite you. I should add he has been trying to sell these for a couple of years but they are not that far from you and should be worth a low offer. However do a serious health check before embarking on this sort of project and fully cost it.

HARTLEY SOUTH SEAS LONG KEEL CRUISER YACHT PROJECT on eBay (end time 20-Jun-10 18:24:06 BST)

Pete
Ahh a plastic scouser lol just joking!

Whilst I do have the money to buy that, it wouldnt leave me with much else to fix the boat, this was why I was looking for an abandoned boat that I could spend that type of money on.

Thanks for looking though Pete, I'm going to check out Hesketh Bank, if I dont find anything there, then its still a day out
Old 16-06-2010, 13:06   #56

Quote:
Tony of course. Is it a yacht your after? try some of the canal / sea enterances. There is one in liverpool that goes into the docks. Another with an interesting selection of boats at Hesketh bank on the Tarleton Branch of the Leeds and Liverpool canal. Whilst you are there pop into Douglas Boat Yard on the river Douglas (53 42 06N 002 49 51W) they always have a selection that look derilict, indeed they were trying to sell off some yachts on e bay in the spring without much sucess.

That sunk Buckley is still..........well sunk

Pete
I'm actually there now! Some nice boats here, office is closed so I have no idea if any have been abandoned and which ones was on eBay
Old 16-06-2010, 13:40   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tricky place to find isn't it.

The other thought for a day out for you, would be Fleetwood. Quite a large marina and new shopping out of town place past the sea front, as the road swings in and follows the river. Beyond the marina on the other side an area of waste land which normally has some boats out for refitting and well being abandoned.

Google earth is your friend here. Glasson also worth a trip if you are going that far.

Also showing up on Google Earth is an interesing boatyard at 535149N 0025841W which is a likely candidate for abandoned projects.

Pete
Old 16-06-2010, 13:46   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If that doesn't produce anything then how about this one.

project ferro sailing boat ,fin keel 34ft Hartley RORC. on eBay (end time 20-Jun-10 18:25:24 BST)

Do you have somewhere nearby you could store it cheap for two years to refit. Approach a farmer perhaps, but it must be close to you or it won't be finished.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e bay.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	17107   Click image for larger version

Name:	e bay2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	17108  

Old 16-06-2010, 17:14   #59

Quote:
Tricky place to find isn't it.

The other thought for a day out for you, would be Fleetwood. Quite a large marina and new shopping out of town place past the sea front, as the road swings in and follows the river. Beyond the marina on the other side an area of waste land which normally has some boats out for refitting and well being abandoned.

Google earth is your friend here. Glasson also worth a trip if you are going that far.

Also showing up on Google Earth is an interesing boatyard at 535149N 0025841W which is a likely candidate for abandoned projects.

Pete
Couldnt find that boat yard on Google Maps

The first one I went to was easy to find....my satnav took me directly to it! lol

Glasson does seem a little far, but I will give it another look tomorrow as im off to bed now.

Have a great night
Old 16-06-2010, 18:41   #60

Boat: Looking!
Permantely disabled & medically retired vet existing on VA disability. I get around pretty good but have very little money. looking for a sailboat in 32 to 40 ft range for liveaboard and costal sailing. Cosmetic TLC and repairs is fine but don't want a boat that's trashed or been sunk. I have few years left to live and don't want to spend all of them restoring a junked boat. If anyone out there has a lead on a boat I would be most greatful to hear about it. Thank you.
Al
avoisine is offline   Reply With Quote