Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 04:37   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane
Boat: deboated
Posts: 672
Forum Useage

As a regular user of this forum for info and fun and sometimes hopefully to give my views on different subjects. Usually I hit the New Posts button and go from there. It is about time others with very set views on certain subjects respect those who do not believe everything that is posted as being correct. I am sure most do not go to certain threads just to annoy and antagonise but to give an alternate view. Some like older boats others like newer designs, some like cats others mono hulls or Tri. Interestingly there does not seem to be a raw nerve amongst those discussing older vs new (plastic) boats that there does amongst the multi hull fraternity.
__________________

__________________
meyermm is offline  
Old 04-05-2010, 05:24   #2
blu
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Far North Queensland Oz
Boat: Herroscoff H28 29ft Belo Vula
Posts: 59
Images: 1
Not sure where you're coming from?? Are we all supposed to think like you? Everyone is entitled to their view and express it just as you have. Get out of Brisbane and head north, helps get rid of the bligh mentality.. We also have fun outside of the marina.. you have been outside of one?
__________________

__________________
blu is offline  
Old 04-05-2010, 05:34   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,382
Hi Meyermm,

I think the forum overall is quite polite and respectful. Not always but 99%. They few times I have found a subject hitting raw nerves seems like the moderators have stepped in to throw a little cold water on the discussions.

Certainly there can be some lively discussions but seldom deteriorate into abuse or flaming. Some posts may seem rude if you aren't aware that the two going at it are good friends on the forum and just poking fun at each other.

I for one really appreciate a good discussion from different points of view. That's how I learned that monohulls are better than mulithulls. (Note the use of a silly looking smiley face to indicate humor and placate the rabid tempers of the multihull crowd). Besides, if we all thought and said the same thing there wouldn't be much to talk about on the forum.

Skip

PS
Nice boat by the way.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now  
Old 04-05-2010, 05:38   #4
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
I suspect this thread is going to deteriorate very quickly..........

Shouldn't it be moved to the Multihull section?
__________________
David_Old_Jersey is offline  
Old 04-05-2010, 05:47   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane
Boat: deboated
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Meyermm,

I think the forum overall is quite polite and respectful. Not always but 99%. They few times I have found a subject hitting raw nerves seems like the moderators have stepped in to throw a little cold water on the discussions.

Certainly there can be some lively discussions but seldom deteriorate into abuse or flaming. Some posts may seem rude if you aren't aware that the two going at it are good friends on the forum and just poking fun at each other.

I for one really appreciate a good discussion from different points of view. That's how I learned that monohulls are better than mulithulls. (Note the use of a silly looking smiley face to indicate humor and placate the rabid tempers of the multihull crowd). Besides, if we all thought and said the same thing there wouldn't be much to talk about on the forum.

Skip

PS
Nice boat by the way.
That was my point (different views)
__________________
meyermm is offline  
Old 04-05-2010, 05:50   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane
Boat: deboated
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu View Post
Not sure where you're coming from?? Are we all supposed to think like you? Everyone is entitled to their view and express it just as you have. Get out of Brisbane and head north, helps get rid of the bligh mentality.. We also have fun outside of the marina.. you have been outside of one?
Just North and South Pacific marina
__________________
meyermm is offline  
Old 04-05-2010, 06:18   #7
Eternal Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,508
Images: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I suspect this thread is going to deteriorate very quickly..........

Shouldn't it be moved to the Multihull section?
hehehehe...you are so correct, but I am restraining my fingers, biting my tongue as I type.......i2f
__________________
SAILING is not always a slick magazine cover!
BORROWED..No single one of is as smart as all of us!
http://sailingwithcancer.blogspot.com/
imagine2frolic is offline  
Old 04-05-2010, 07:36   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
hehehehe...you are so correct, but I am restraining my fingers, biting my tongue as I type.......i2f
And, the usual suspects start chiming in.

I thought you were headed south/out/west? Are you still in FL, St Johns River area as I recall?
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now  
Old 04-05-2010, 07:42   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
FSMike's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bahamas/Florida
Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Posts: 2,654
Images: 5
Perhaps in addition to a multihull forum we should have an anti-multihull forum?
__________________
Sail Fast Live Slow
FSMike is offline  
Old 04-05-2010, 08:58   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Anacortes, WA
Boat: Maine Cat 41
Posts: 325
Better be wery, wery, caful! Some of these threads turn upside down and some just sink!
__________________
cchesley is offline  
Old 04-05-2010, 11:08   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
TaoJones's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montrose, Colorado
Posts: 9,850
Okay, the point has been made, which I take to have been, "Why can't members recognize that when others state a difference of opinion to their own, it isn't a personal attack on them, their nation, their faith or their choice of boat - it's simply an expression of a different view. To take personal umbrage at someone for stating a different view in an impersonal way is indicative of an insecure personality and/or a lack of a sense of humor. Everyone may be the star in their own movie, but no one is the center of the universe - in other words, it isn't all about you."

It's a valid point meyermm makes. That said, thread closed.

TaoJones
__________________

__________________
"Your vision becomes clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks within, awakens."
Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961)
TaoJones is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the Forum SouthernDrawl Meets & Greets 4 09-05-2009 18:47
NEW TO FORUM BUT NEED HELP! HALLBERG BABY Cruising News & Events 31 25-08-2008 08:50
new to forum elsie&david Meets & Greets 8 08-11-2007 00:02
New to this forum spencer53 Meets & Greets 6 04-11-2007 14:05
New to the forum Hud3 Meets & Greets 14 29-09-2007 20:50



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.