Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2009, 04:20   #16

Boat: "Piscator"
Another vote for Montague

Two full size Montague folding bikes under the bow berth, 18 speeds, hybrid, good on the paved and dirt roads. I agree with the sentiment that you will use the bike on the boat about as much as the one at home. If you like to ride, a full size bike like the Montague (or others) on the boat will see enough use to make it worth the hassle. If you don't ride much when not on the boat, you probably will not use a bike on the boat very much.
Old 17-11-2009, 13:36   #17

Boat: Manta 40
Here is a pic of both the Cayne and the Dahon. Here's the story: My wife and I were cruising around Andros, DR and were swarmed by this teen-age bicycle gang. At first they were just riding with us then showing off with the wheelies then they wanted to ride our bikes. We said sure and after the first wheelie all the spokes on the Dahon popped.

Oh, *****, middle of nowhere in a kinda run down part of the town. The kid was shocked but composed himself nicely and after asking him to slow dow the rapid fire Dominican Spanish we realized he was saying he could fix it. Ya right, had nothing to lose so we followed them for at least 20 minutes through the backroads thinking we were getting led to the slaughter and the entire time the guy in the blue shirt was riding a wheelie on the Dahon and the other kids were taking turns on the Cayne. After awhile we pulled into a small driveway with abuela sitting out front and the ringleader (white shirt) goes into his house and not 2 minutes later comes out with a complete 20" wheel.

The gang breaks out the tools and has the wheel replaced in 10 minutes. They follow us back to the marina where we discuss getting the original wheel fixed, again in the rapid fire DR talk, not exactly sure what, if anything, I said got through but the next day they show up with the repaired wheel and swap it out for me at a total cost of 5 bucks.

Get a bike,it's fun.

videos:

Old 17-11-2009, 13:55   #18

Boat: a sailing boat
Bike a folding one over a considerable distance then bike a proper one.

But they are OK if all you want is bike from the dock to a place within a mile or so. Such distances I will walk.

I can see plenty of Dahon (?)make bikes here. Folding bikes in Europe about half price of a proper bike.

I use an MTB because it can take me further out with less effort and more comfort.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 14:23   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Bike a folding one over a considerable distance then bike a proper one.

But they are OK if all you want is bike from the dock to a place within a mile or so. Such distances I will walk.

I can see plenty of Dahon (?)make bikes here. Folding bikes in Europe about half price of a proper bike.

I use an MTB because it can take me further out with less effort and more comfort.

b.
have you tried montague and their full sized fold up mountain bikes yet--if you really ride, they are the one to get....full sized mountain bikes are not the clown toys the dahon small ones are--cannot go so far on those mini ones---takes a lot outta ye if you really ride bikes. if you donot ride bikes a lot--get the toy.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 14:28   #20

Boat: Schock 35
If you are already a serious bikie, get a Bike Friday. If you just want to get around the Marina the Dahons are very good.
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 15:04   #21
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
The Dahons are good bikes: the only thing rusting away are the cables for the breaks and gears. Carry spare cables and inner- & outer-tires.

But, if you like to go out bikin, get one with big wheels. They fold almost as small as the little wheels... this is why: (click on the photo for the rest!)

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 15:23   #22

Boat: Charter
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Will they fall off? Then don't fall off of a car at 60 mph.
How much does your car heel at 60mph? Remind me not to accept a ride from you!
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 21:22   #23

Boat: 40 ft Owen Easton Catamaran
Thanks for all the comments. We're really looking at the Montagues (or the cheap mountain bikes at walmart...small debate going on). Everyone keeps saying if we don't bike at home we won't bike out cruising...but i have a car at home to get to the grocery store...won't have a car on the boat. so I'm not sure how that's really apples and apples. I seem to think i might use it a bit more than at home????

Anyway, very appreciative of all your opinions, as usual. Thanks!
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 04:48   #24

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica View Post
Thanks for all the comments. We're really looking at the Montagues (or the cheap mountain bikes at walmart...small debate going on). Everyone keeps saying if we don't bike at home we won't bike out cruising...but i have a car at home to get to the grocery store...won't have a car on the boat. so I'm not sure how that's really apples and apples. I seem to think i might use it a bit more than at home????

Anyway, very appreciative of all your opinions, as usual. Thanks!
Monica,

Great point about the "need" driving the behavior (no pun intended). We biked very little before turning into cruisers. Now that we have our Bike Fridays, we bike every chance we get, but especially to make trips to the grocery/chandlery/propane refills etc. The suitcase that attaches to the back of the bike is huge (so you have to figure out where to store it), but it has been absolutely worth it to us. Heck, when we were in Maine, I walked tp the local gas station to re-fill a propane tank and pulled the suitcase on its big wheels. I might still be there lugging the tank if I didn't have that suitcase.

The big wheel bike v. little wheel bike debate is kinda like mono v. cats. For Bike Friday bikes, it is a non-issue. their bikes are designed to perform every bit as well as the big wheel cousins.

Whatever you get, storage and maintenance are the keys. Store your bike on deck and it's not worth spending any money at all. Pick up the cheapest thing you can buy and be prepared to ditch it.

Store it in a bag below decks, get some chain lube and keep some of the spare parts (cables, tubes, etc) handy and the bikes will last much longer.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 11:14   #25

Boat: a sailing boat
Agree - not biking at home = not likely to bike when cruising. People tend to stick to their ways. Will probably rent a car.

But it is not a rule, just a general pattern.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 11:29   #26

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
I think biking is one of those exceptions to the general rule that some things won't change (eg if you eat out as a dirt dweller you'll eat out as a cruiser.) It becomes sooo expensive to hire in many countries (France for example) that it quickly becomes very annoying to rely on it. It's one of the key things American's cite when swooning in shock at european prices. And if you want to be able to do quick trips etc it then becomes brain-achingly obvious to have a bicycle.

However - one of us was a regular bicycle user for years beforehand, though not the other. Also, as said above, we get them out when in a place for a substantial period, and otherwise rely on public transport and shank's ponies.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 11:37   #27

Boat: islandpacket
I found some on ebay. Full size folding. Very happy
Old 24-11-2009, 09:55   #28

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Just to get to the shops etc. I'm planning on getting a Strida folding bike, 16" wheels and folds real small to avoid storage problems.
multihullsailor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 10:46   #29

I bought a Dahon Mariner from West Marine for my first ICW trip to Fl 12 years ago. I expected it to last for 1 trip. I can't imagine how many miles I put on it that winter carrying, groceries, gas can, and my fat ass sight-seeing over all kinds of roads. I still have it, and I find it more comfortable to ride than my Cannondale.
I have a catamaran, so storage inside is easy, and probably kept it rust free
Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 10:57   #30

Boat: MJM 50 Z
Bike Friday Rocks!

We have a Bike Friday tandem, called Tandem Tuesday.
We also have two full sized tandems. Of the three, the Tandem Tuesday is the best, as long as you don't look down and see the small wheels.

The Dahons have improved, I hope, because the one I rode was dangerous, wiggly and awfull. The frame stiffness, geometry and efficiency all combined determine safety or not. The pleasure of riding is another reason to get a bike that works. One that you would be happy riding one mile or a hundred miles on.

For the boat, the tandem was a bit heavy but still lighter than two singles.

Bike Friday makes road, mountain, touring and more. All fit to you.

By the way the wheels that fail are due to lack of service. Small wheels need truing and re tensioning now and then. The stresses are higher for small wheels. Or we could all lose some pounds
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote