Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Have you ever seen a Flying Saucer when sailing?
Nope, never seen nothing. 38 42.70%
Seen some weird stuff, but it wasn't aliens 27 30.34%
Yes 9 10.11%
Yes, and I was abducted and probed too 15 16.85%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2008, 06:10   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I know its probably someone behind but the top photo looks like a Fred Flinstone car with the feet sticking out the bottom. Too funny.

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 06:55   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
As huge as the galaxy is. I can imagine life on other planets of some kind. Maybe it's a single cell organism, but maybe it's intelligence is greater than ours. I think it would be rather arrogant of us to think there may not be a possibility of another life form.

Do they fly ships across the galaxy? Whose to say what is out there, and what is not......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 07:30   #18

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
For those who want to believe, I'm told that there are regular sightings off the coast at Gulf Breeze Florida. Just google Gulf Breeze Florida UFO sightings for some entertainment if you have time to waste.

If you go, let me know if you see anything besides aircraft landing on your stern - ;=>
I lived in Gulf Breeze for several years in the mid '80s and again in the late 90's and my boyfriend lives there now. One of my neighbors in the late '80s swore he saw the aliens. I even lived on the street where they were supposedly sighted. There used to be a big X painted on the street where some locals said they saw the aliens.

I don't know if there are aliens visiting earth, but I firmly believe that there is life out there. In what form, I don't know. I hope they never visit our planet -- for their own sakes!
Old 23-10-2008, 07:48   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I don't know if there are aliens visiting earth, but I firmly believe that there is life out there. In what form, I don't know. I hope they never visit our planet -- for their own sakes!

OMG......that's just too funny, and I would have to agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 07:48   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgal View Post
I lived in Gulf Breeze for several years in the mid '80s and again in the late 90's and my boyfriend lives there now. One of my neighbors in the late '80s swore he saw the aliens. I even lived on the street where they were supposedly sighted. There used to be a big X painted on the street where some locals said they saw the aliens.

I sorta subscribe to the theory based on the movie "Contact"

They are out there but we definitely are not interesting to them...

We kill each other and destroy our planet. Anything we learn or discover is judged by it's ability to kill others - nuclear power, airplanes, submarines, space travel. You name it. If it can't kill people we don't fund it.

Our history is predominantly about discovering other cultures and invading them, bending them to our will or killing them in wars. We don't have a lot of history study based on the furtherance of the human condition. Oh, yeah. That we call science.

Any life forms that could come and visit us from beyond our known sphere would have no interest in the likes of us.

We are the exit on Galaxy's highway where you definitely don't want to get off.

How about every alien movie we have ever made. We either kill them or want to disect them. I thnk if greezlpop arrives from the trinity galaxy we will have little chance of outsmarting him - LOL. What an arrogant bunch we are - ha ha...

Sorry - got on a bit of a rant there
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 08:07   #21
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Project BlueBook on Wikipedia!

"Below is the United States Air Force's official statement regarding UFOs, as noted in USAF Fact Sheet 95-03:[19]"
From 1947 to 1969, the Air Force investigated Unidentified Flying Objects under Project Blue Book. The project, headquartered at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, was terminated December 17, 1969. Of a total of 12,618 sightings reported to Project Blue Book, 701 remained "unidentified.""
More on UFO's on Wikipedia!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 08:25   #22

Boat: we don't need no steenking boat-we walk on water...
If there are flying saucers aboard the boat it means you have done something to really irritate "The Admiral" and you need to get to port and take her somewhere to make up for whatever it is you did or believed to have done.
Old 23-10-2008, 09:02   #23
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
You are !@#$%^g lucky to only get the saucers flying, I normally cop the whole cup along with it's contents.

And just to stop the drift, no I haven't seen any UFO's at sea.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 09:37   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have not seen any little green men except for the extremely seasick.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 11:52   #25

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I sorta subscribe to the theory based on the movie "Contact"

They are out there but we definitely are not interesting to them...

We kill each other and destroy our planet. Anything we learn or discover is judged by it's ability to kill others - nuclear power, airplanes, submarines, space travel. You name it. If it can't kill people we don't fund it.

Our history is predominantly about discovering other cultures and invading them, bending them to our will or killing them in wars. We don't have a lot of history study based on the furtherance of the human condition. Oh, yeah. That we call science.

Any life forms that could come and visit us from beyond our known sphere would have no interest in the likes of us.

We are the exit on Galaxy's highway where you definitely don't want to get off.

How about every alien movie we have ever made. We either kill them or want to disect them. I thnk if greezlpop arrives from the trinity galaxy we will have little chance of outsmarting him - LOL. What an arrogant bunch we are - ha ha...

Sorry - got on a bit of a rant there
Interesting thoughts. I find it a bit puzzling myself that the universe appears to not show any obvious signs that it is teeming with life. One possibility (probably most likely) is that we're one of the first, and there simply hasn't yet been enough time for like to spread out. Another might be that the universe isn't interesting enough to justify the expense of exploration. It may turn out to be far more cost-effective to 'explore' a simulated universe. A third possibility is that this IS a simulated universe, and the relative lack of life in it (and certainly intelligence) is a way to save computer memory.
anotherT34C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 12:24   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
My belief is that life exists in other parts of the universe. It must given the billions of galaxies out there and on top of that the millions or billions of stars within a single galaxy. Then figure the number of planets that could be orbiting just one star. The numbers are just too great for there not to be life.

Our first radio transmissions are still just an almost infintesimally small distance out there compared to the size of the universe. Our sun will explode in a supernova probably before the first alien civilizations hear our first radio transmissions.

Life out there is just too far away to ever get here or even send radio messages to us.

Steven Hawkings and Carl Sagan both have some great books on the universe and its size. Its size is beyond comprehension.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 12:36   #27

Sure, but where would you expect us to be in a million years? And given that the universe is fifteen thousand million years old, where is everybody? Even if life is constrained to simply drift outwards, it should eventually manage to adapt and take hold just about everywhere. I'd be mildly interested to know what that lazy expansion rate would be, but it should be more or less exponential even from a single source.
Old 23-10-2008, 12:45   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
... I find it a bit puzzling myself that the universe appears to not show any obvious signs that it is teeming with life.
The Drake Equation was developed by Frank Drake in 1961 as a way to focus on the factors which determine how many intelligent, communicating civilizations there are in our* galaxy. The Drake Equation is:
N = N* fp ne fl fi fc fL

Do your own calculation, with your own assumptions, here:
SETI: The Drake Equation

*Our Milky Way Galaxy, contains between 100 billion and 300 billion stars, and is only one of 125 Billion to 500 Billion OBSERVABLE Galaxies, containing about 70 sextillion visible Stars, in the Universe.
There may be a total of between 100 trillion to an INFINITE number of Galaxies.

I'll leave it to others to do the arithmetic.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 13:03   #29

The Drake equation doesn't (I think) attempt to adress the question of why the universe isn't seemingly teeming with simple, adapted life that simply drifts outwards. My own guess is that enough time hasn't yet passed, but I'm not sure that guess stands up to scrutiny. Fifteen thousand million years is a long time. The galaxy is 'only' about 100k light years across.
Old 23-10-2008, 13:44   #30

I find that if on the boat the aroma from an open bottle of rum often attracts UFOs.

Has anyone else noticed that UFOs always fly in pairs?
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote