Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 12:05   #46
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
How do you get the glow sticks to show from dead ahead to 2 points abaft the beam? Got a ticket in Fernandina Beach a few years ago because I did not have a whistle.
My daughter used the whistle to call me last year (she had run the tender out of gas); couldn't hear the whistle, but it got EVERY DOG BARKING in 3 counties, and I heard that.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:32   #47

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
My daughter used the whistle to call me last year (she had run the tender out of gas); couldn't hear the whistle, but it got EVERY DOG BARKING in 3 counties, and I heard that.
I had 6 gallons of fuel so I didn't need a whistle. I can whistle louder than those little plastic things with a pea in them.
Old 15-02-2012, 11:22   #48

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: Florida Water Cops Ticketed Me

We've been looking for running lights for our new inflatable, but haven't found any easily mountable ones that are USCG certified.
These are readily available, but are not USCG certified.
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=inflatable lights.jpg Views: 271 Size: 40.3 KB ID: 37437" style="margin: 2px" />
Anyone know of any that are USCG certified? Prefer battery operated and easily removable, but can wire to a 12v batery if we have to. We're located in Florida, frequently dinghy after dark, and don't want to get zapped by the water cops.
Old 15-02-2012, 12:02   #49

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
We've been looking for running lights for our new inflatable, but haven't found any easily mountable ones that are USCG certified.
Attachment 37437
Anyone know of any that are USCG certified? Prefer battery operated and easily removable, but can wire to a 12v batery if we have to. We're located in Florida, frequently dinghy after dark, and don't want to get zapped by the water cops.
Don't worry about the USCG certification, because there is no such animal in the after market. If you read the regs you'll see that the only USCG certification of navigation lights is by the original manufacturer of the vessel. It makes some sense when you think about it. The visibility angles and distances for any light are dependent on the mounting on the boat and the particular light's mounting base. Since by definition the aftermarket lights are installed by someone other than the original boat manufacturer and in most cases are a different design than the original you can never have a USCG certified after market light. You'll see a lot of claims about USCG certification in the adverts for the more expensive lights, but what it really means is that they can meet the requirements if installed by the original manufacturer of the hull. Since any add on light to an inflatable is not likely to be installed at the factory USCG certifcation is not something you'll have to worry about. I'd buy me a nice battery powered set and not worry about it. I've never heard of a watercop asking to see the USCG certification papers of someones running lights. If course when you put them on you had better face the red to port and the green to starboard or you will probably get a ticket. If the alignment is off 2 degrees no one is going to say anything.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 12:07   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Attachment 37437
I doubt any authority would ever, ever ask to see the USCG certification for your running lights. On the rare occasions that I have been "inspected", day or night, that issue has never been mentioned and I have never heard anyone, anywhere say that this was ever a question in any encounter with any type of water police.

If you have them and they are red, green and bright enough then that's all that counts.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 12:09   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Your dinghy is a motorboat if operated with a motor and is subject to the same light requirements as other motorboats under 12 meters in length. If you were sailing or rowing, using a flashlight in time to avoid any collision would have been sufficient.
Yup.

Another one of those things about adding complexity (an outboard) means even more complexity (running lights). Rock the oars and carry a flashlight; easy as pie.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 12:11   #52

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I thought boats under 12M only show one 360 degree white light, not bow and stern white lights?
Depends on your location relative to International vs Inland rules (COLREGS Line). Assuming the OP was under Inland rules in Florida then the exemption for vessels under 12m is that they can run a combined steaming and stern light (all round white), but this is still in combination with normal side-lights.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 12:15   #53
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Tripod, I can understand why you might want "certified" lights, but are you aware that there is no requirement that your boat HAVE certified lights?

All a watercop can do is cite you for having "inadequate" lights, and then he'd have to prove that, or face charges himself. As long as the lights aren't home made, come from a "real" company and store, I'd call it extremely unlikely that you'd have a problem. Those D-cell powered lights are meant to be glued on and run without ships power, but I've never heard of someone getting a ticket for using them. Just make sure you've got good batteries in them.

Captbill-
". If you read the regs you'll see that the only USCG certification of navigation lights is by the original manufacturer of the vessel." I think youve got that wrong. Last time I looked, it was the maker of the LIGHTS, not the VESSEL, that had the option of getting a USCG certification for them. The USCG certifies compliance for a complete fixture (bulb, lens, entire assembly) as one piece being suitable for the purpose stated, and that's all, AFAIK.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 12:26   #54

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I use the above lights, and never have gotten ticketed. I also have never heard of someone getting ticketed that had a working flashlight lit, or an oil lamp on a stick. You could always add red and green lenses to the lamp.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 12:26   #55

Thanks guys. That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure as we're in an area where several agencies conduct a lot of "training" . . . not that we mind, we'd just rather the trainees see vessels that are in compliance.

Rebel - I do prefer to row, but this new dink is needed primarily for when we have guests. Also, in our new home port, we sometimes encounter tidal currents that we can't row against . . . especially whing the breeze is up.
Old 15-02-2012, 12:35   #56

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Rebels got it right ! leave the motor on the mount and ROW and carry a flash light ! Easy Peasy ! no problem! have a motor on it get some lights. The USCG regs have been this way on dingys for as long as I can remember ! Ive gotten away with it by useing a Big flash lite a couple of times but also got a ticket once for this same infraction!! ya live and learn !! maybe ya need a copy of the small boat regs ya never know ya may have some other things aboard that might get ya another ticket !! Just a thought Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 10:59   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Rebels got it right ! leave the motor on the mount and ROW and carry a flash light ! Easy Peasy ! no problem! have a motor on it get some lights. The USCG regs have been this way on dingys for as long as I can remember ! Ive gotten away with it by useing a Big flash lite a couple of times but also got a ticket once for this same infraction!! ya live and learn !! maybe ya need a copy of the small boat regs ya never know ya may have some other things aboard that might get ya another ticket !! Just a thought Bob and Connie
Of course I have the regs. Also been inspected many times and no tickets in over 40 years of boating.

There was never a question of lights or no lights for this new powered dinghy. The question was which lights and do they have to be CG certified lights. That's now been sorted and the new lights are ordered.

And Rebel did have it right. Our primary dinghy has oars, flashlight, whistle, and PFDs - much simpler, but we needed something with more capacity for guests and to use in strong currents and/or winds. We've had to get a hotel room a couple of times when we couldn't get back to the boat because the wind piped up.

Now we just have more options.
Old 23-02-2012, 12:09   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
... If you read the regs you'll see that the only USCG certification of navigation lights is by the original manufacturer of the vessel." I think youve got that wrong. Last time I looked, it was the maker of the LIGHTS, not the VESSEL, that had the option of getting a USCG certification for them. The USCG certifies compliance for a complete fixture (bulb, lens, entire assembly) as one piece being suitable for the purpose stated, and that's all, AFAIK.
Per 33 CFR 183.810:
A Nav’ Light manufacturer’s product must be certified by a laboratory listed by the Coast Guard to the standards of ABYC A–16 or equivalent ...
AND
Since about 2003, domestic manufacturers of vessels must install only certified navigation lights on all new uninspected commercial vessels and recreational vessels.

The USCG does not, itself, test & certify Nav' Lights.

33 CFR 183.810 - Navigation light certification requirements.
http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/pdf/recalls/BSC83.pdf

(a) Except as provided by paragraph (b) of this section, each navigation light must—

(1) Meet the technical standards of the applicable Navigation Rules;

(2) Be certified by a laboratory listed by the Coast Guard to the standards of ABYC A–16 (incorporated by reference, see §183.5) or equivalent, although portable battery-powered lights need only meet the requirements of the standard applicable to them; and

(3) Bear a permanent and indelible label that is visible without removing or disassembling the light and that states the following:

(i) “USCG Approval 33 CFR 183.810.”

(ii) “MEETS___.” (Insert the identification name or number of the standard under paragraph (a)(2) of this section, to which the laboratory type-tested.)

(iii) “TESTED BY___.” (Insert the name or registered certification-mark of the laboratory listed by the Coast Guard that tested the fixture to the standard under paragraph (a)(2) of this section.)

(iv) Name of manufacturer.

(v) Number of model.

(vi) Visibility of the light in nautical miles.

(vii) Date on which the light was type-tested.

(viii) Identification and specifications of the bulb used in the compliance test.

(b) If a light is too small to attach the required label—

(1) Place the information from the label in or on the package that contains the light; and

(2) Mark each light “USCG” followed by the certified range of visibility in nautical miles (nm), for example, “USCG 2nm”. Once installed, this mark must be visible without removing the light.

FWIW:
This is one of many instances wherein ABYC Standards are (defacto) Law, and not merely recommendations".

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:31   #59

". If you read the regs you'll see that the only USCG certification of navigation lights is by the original manufacturer of the vessel." I think youve got that wrong. Last time I looked, it was the maker of the LIGHTS, not the VESSEL, that had the option of getting a USCG certification for them. The USCG certifies compliance for a complete fixture (bulb, lens, entire assembly) as one piece being suitable for the purpose stated, and that's all, AFAIK."
Actually , this is not true. At the boat builder I worked for as Operations Manager, the USCG Recreational inspector arrived once a year. Last time he arrived h inspected a boat, and found that the steming lights we had installed on 3 boats being built, didnt have the latest approval numbers cast into the palstic lenses. We had to change them all!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:40   #60

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

The problem won't arise when the cops stop you. It will arise when you get run over by some idiot and try to collect on the insurance. Then they will ask "did you have CG certified lights?" If not, they won't pay because they will say everything was your fault
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida