Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 21:35   #196
cruiser

Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You think perhaps he was using a bit of hyperbole?
If you say so. By that logic, a girl could scream rape when a guy tries to kiss her.

You know what? It's not rape, and it's not a police state.

Hyperbole about a police state does not reflect on the state, and that's what I'm pointing out.
Old 13-05-2014, 02:12   #197
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

[QUOTE=Custom30;1539776
Then pay the $90 plus the court costs because it's a Florida Court and the Judge won't even be listening when you talk.

'[/QUOTE]

Lol you must have been involved in the fl court system before. Ive taken every ticket ive been issued in florida to court. Its funny, when you take it a ticket to court youre automatically found guilty but.... Ive been to courts where the judge would stand up before court and say, "if your here to plead not guilty, were offering withholding adjudication and a reduction of tickets to court cost. " Initially you have to get found guilty and appeal to get in front of a judge that you will at least have a chance to be heard. First level judge just issues guilty verdicts. The apologists here crack me up. Things are ok. checkpoints are ok. Our civil liberties arent going down the toilet. Just bend over and do what your told, everything will be handled correctly by the fair court system.
Old 13-05-2014, 02:17   #198
cruiser

It also amuses me when someone thinks that going to court a lot makes them an expert...

I once heard a guy, no kidding, say "prison is full of idiots. I know, I've been in seven of them, and the same types of idiots are in all of them."

I was barely able to keep a straight face.
Old 13-05-2014, 02:35   #199
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
It also amuses me when someone thinks that going to court a lot makes them an expert...

I once heard a guy, no kidding, say "prison is full of idiots. I know, I've been in seven of them, and the same types of idiots are in all of them."

I was barely able to keep a straight face.

Its even better when somebody wears a badge whos ignorant of laws hes supposed to enforce.

Then there are the idiots who enforce laws they know are not just, just to collect a paycheck.
Old 13-05-2014, 02:45   #200
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post

Never claimed to have been to court a lot or that I was an expert. I said Ive fought every ticket ive received. That would amount to 4 or 5 over a 50 year span.

I know you who write tickets hate having to come to court and testify. Especially when youve wrote a ticket, not because of a law, but because someone didnt bow down to your self percieved godlike image, and their wasnt any merit to the ticket that was written.
Old 13-05-2014, 03:56   #201
cruiser

Cops are experts at enforcement, not law. When someone is an expert at the law, we call them "lawyers".

I tell you this so you won't expect your plumber to re-wire your house, or consult your gardner when you get sick.

One of the things I can think of that would be a lot worse than having cops enforce the law would be having lawyers enforce the law. Makes me cringe just to think about it.

Cops get paid to go to court. Most of the cops I know prefer spending time in court to breaking up domestic disputes, or whatever else they could be called on to do.
Old 13-05-2014, 04:46   #202
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
bassdan, the moment you became obstinate is when the officer decided to write the violation. Maybe you could have been a little more respectful and only a warning would have been issued.
As far as your last statement, I call BS. Need a link to that and Microsoft Flight Simulator doesn't count.
I aviate professionally, among other things I am the accountable manager for the repair station where I work as I'm an A&P/IA as well as a Commercial pilot, as such I have a few "friends" in the FSDO from being a test pilot, A&P, IA, Accountable manager. This exact thing was brought up in conversation by FSDO primary inspector on his last visit, see the CBP and Home land security folks are harassing the flying public and the FAA does not like it anymore than us pilots.
He is absolutely correct about being stopped, but its Homeland Security and or CBP doing the inspecting.
Want to almost guarantee a stop / visit? Originate your flight in Colorado and stop a couple of times on the way home, that will get you special attention.
Old 13-05-2014, 04:53   #203
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Only ticket I have ever gotten on the water was for speeding in a no wake zone, given to me by a Game Warden. You had better not ignore a Game Warden ticket, let me assure you.
Year was 1982 (before cell phones). I was at the hwy 17 bridge between Savannah Ga and Richmond Hill, someone had had a heart attack and was being administered CPR.
I got on my jet ski and took off full throttle to the Game Wardens boat to tell him and have him use his radio to call an ambulance.
I got a ticket for this, and went to court to fight it, Judge never listened, so it's not just Fl.
I thought I had done a good thing and maybe had saved a life, sort of expected to be thanked maybe?
Old 13-05-2014, 05:09   #204
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

It seems to me that there are boaters that have multiple negative encounters with marine enforcement officers. My guess is that these are the people with repeat offenses and great complaint claiming that the police are operating unfairly.

Other boaters have rare encounters with these same marine enforcement officers. My guess is these are the people that generally respect authority and interact with enforcement officers without threat. They rarely commit offenses and rarely receive citations.

There may be exceptions; however, most of us would agree that the laws enforced by the Florida Wildlife Commission regarding safety & the environment are valid. I won't discount that mistakes and misunderstandings may sometimes occur, but I can't respect the complaints from people who have habitual problems with law enforcement authorities.
Old 13-05-2014, 05:10   #205

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB

You think perhaps he was using a bit of hyperbole? A small ticket given, whether merited or not, based on a concern for safety. Then, the horrors, he had the audacity to ask for identification. And does seem the boater got a bit argumentative.

Police state would have been hauled away to jail, no phone calls, taken before a judge who immediately said guilty and taken to prison and made to perform hard labor while living on a bowl or rice a day.
Police states exist when the population waits for it to be this bad before calling it a police state.
Old 13-05-2014, 05:12   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Or there may be that time a routine stop of some sort results in a very non routine result because of them all.
Yep. Good possibility that one day karma will smack this person up-side the head with a 2x4. And when it happens, I will laugh. Perhaps even a "vindictive" laugh.
Old 13-05-2014, 05:14   #207
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Link (from a reputable source) of pilots being harassed
AOPA demands answers on aircraft searches - AOPA
Old 13-05-2014, 05:40   #208
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
It seems to me that there are boaters that have multiple negative encounters with marine enforcement officers. My guess is that these are the people with repeat offenses and great complaint claiming that the police are operating unfairly.
It also seems some people aren't trainable at all if they keep doing the same things over and over again, getting the same tickets over and over!

Then they brag about it

But it isn't them because somehow the world has them targeted.
Old 13-05-2014, 06:06   #209

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
SNIP

There may be exceptions; however, most of us would agree that the laws enforced by the Florida Wildlife Commission regarding safety & the environment are valid.

SNIP
Some of the laws are valid, probably most. I tend to think there are way too many laws in general.

But in this case I am not sure what law/laws were violated. While there are general prohibitions about unsafe operation of a boat that are judgement calls to some extent, and acting like a fool will often cause the LEO to make a judgement that you are violating that law I am not sure that is the case here.

My first question, asked earlier and not addressed, was about PDFs. At any time most LEOs have authority to ask if you have a PDF you can quickly put on. If you go to the bow of the boat with out a PDF LEOs have authority to detain you and confirm you have PDFs. If you cop a 'tude you proceed at your own risk. If there is any hint of alcohol you proceed at your own risk. There are also a lot of no wake zones that many boaters violate.

All of us should agree that there should be PDFs for every one aboard and you should not be drinking while driving a boat, especially if you are going too fast.

Bottom line for me is until I know the exact violation I am unable to assess who is at fault.
Old 13-05-2014, 06:11   #210

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Hmm....trying to pay attention to this thread.

I assume you are referring to the life-saving Personal Floatation Devices (PFDs) and not Adobe Acrobat files known as PDF...???
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, men