Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 07:24   #181

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

Thanks for the caution. That's why I'm not on Facebook. Only one of my exes lives in Texas. Here's a sample of me n some kinfolk pickin': I'm the one on the banjo.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:44   #182
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Honnychild, I'm actually related to about half the folks in Glenville, GA, just up the road a bit from Ludowici. A little convoluted in that family tree. My daddy was from the sticks, where Glenville was the big town.

I'm a transplanted Georgia girl living for the moment on the left coast.
I KNEW IT !!!!

Thoroughly enjoyed the subsequent evolution of the thread... WAAAAY too many good comments to quote...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 11-02-2014, 07:46   #183
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well it finally comes to light. Since he lives in FL we now can safety say that it is Skips' fault!

Who would have thought in the beginning.
Guilty. But since we are all related then I get a pass if I get pulled over while my cousin Billybob the local shirif grabs the tourists and issues them a high dollar citation for pollutin' the state with their foul excretions.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:48   #184
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I once took my young Nephew to my Aunt & Uncle's 50th wedding anniversary celebration, and I had to explain to him that he was related by blood to almost everyone there, so it was not a good place to find a date.
In some places this would not be an impediment to finding a date.
Old 12-05-2014, 16:23   #185

After being harassed by FWCC officials last weekend I searched for other incidents and found your blog. I have also lived in Florida most of my life, and up to recently have had little problem with the FWCC. Last weekend on Lake Santa Fe, I was in a 22' Catalina sailboat with a couple friends when a FWCC boat sped around us and drew up alongside. They asked for my ID and said I was in violation because I was on the bow with the engine running. I will add it was glass smooth, there is a bow pulpit, and we were barely idling. The boat has a 5 hp outboard. They asked for my ID, and I asked them why they want it. They told my I was in violation and must produce it. They then took my driver's license and ran a check over the radio! I imagine if I had left my ID in the truck I probably would have been arrested for such an egregious offense. The Captain was given a $90 violation, which I will pay for him. This is ridiculous, and I will report this to the Governor and legislature, for what it is worth. It's sad to see the country revert to such a police state. I am a private pilot, and have been reading about over 50 incidents in the last year about private pilots being pulled over on runways and harassed by police for things such as "making too many stops".
Old 12-05-2014, 16:29   #186
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassdan View Post
It's sad to see the country revert to such a police state.
That simply tells me you've never seen a police state.
Old 12-05-2014, 16:43   #187

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I was on the bow with the engine running == $90 fine ???

Huh? How is that not 'legal'?
Old 12-05-2014, 16:44   #188

Boat: O'Day 28

Thanks for posting Dan. I think we're in big trouble from here on out. We really can't beat em nor can we join em.

We need a youngish strong leader to fix a number of issues in the US. This next election will tell the tale.

I'm not giving them my gun but may well have to leave the country. Folks who see this attitude as extreme have already handed over their autonomy IMO.

Homeland "Security" will be taking over. The actual armed forces will just all of a sudden no longer be funded. The brass may jump up and down but the foot soldiers will make their way home as best they can to protect families.

Why? I don't effing know but I feel it in my old yet still perceptive bones.

China will sit and wait. They're good at that.
Old 12-05-2014, 16:54   #189

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
That simply tells me you've never seen a police state.
You think perhaps he was using a bit of hyperbole? A small ticket given, whether merited or not, based on a concern for safety. Then, the horrors, he had the audacity to ask for identification. And does seem the boater got a bit argumentative.

Police state would have been hauled away to jail, no phone calls, taken before a judge who immediately said guilty and taken to prison and made to perform hard labor while living on a bowl or rice a day.
Old 12-05-2014, 17:00   #190

Boat: Carter offshore 35

I already had a go around with them about ID. Tried to say I was drinking because I wasn't rowing my dingy in a straight line. I don't carry my drivers license with me. I had to remind him that I don't need it to operate a boat, its not an ID it's a license and only need it to drive a car so that is where I keep it. I didn't make a friend that night but I didn't like him either. No ticket.
Old 12-05-2014, 17:21   #191

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
I was on the bow with the engine running == $90 fine ???

Huh? How is that not 'legal'?
I have the same question.

How are you suppose to pull an anchor if you have a leeward shore and waves are piling up without someone at the helm steering with the notify running whilst your raising the anchor manually?

It would highly irresponsible and potentially dangerous to do anything else.

What law and what section were you charged under?
Old 12-05-2014, 17:33   #192

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
After being harassed by FWCC officials last weekend I searched for other incidents and found your blog. I have also lived in Florida most of my life, and up to recently have had little problem with the FWCC. Last weekend on Lake Santa Fe, I was in a 22' Catalina sailboat with a couple friends when a FWCC boat sped around us and drew up alongside. They asked for my ID and said I was in violation because I was on the bow with the engine running. I will add it was glass smooth, there is a bow pulpit, and we were barely idling. The boat has a 5 hp outboard. They asked for my ID, and I asked them why they want it. They told my I was in violation and must produce it. They then took my driver's license and ran a check over the radio! I imagine if I had left my ID in the truck I probably would have been arrested for such an egregious offense. The Captain was given a $90 violation, which I will pay for him. This is ridiculous, and I will report this to the Governor and legislature, for what it is worth. It's sad to see the country revert to such a police state. I am a private pilot, and have been reading about over 50 incidents in the last year about private pilots being pulled over on runways and harassed by police for things such as "making too many stops".
I am wondering what the specific violation was. Just speculation but it may be the violation was for PDF.
Old 12-05-2014, 17:37   #193

Boat: csy 37

when sailing you often have to go up to the bow, maybe to change a headsail or unjam a furler. i think i would go before the judge with a sailing book and instruct him, and the nazi, that since they know nothing about sailing they should refrain from applying inapplicable laws until they do learn something.
Old 12-05-2014, 17:42   #194

Boat: Custom 30

It is illegal to ride on the bow of a powerboat, unless specifically designed (bowrider) for bow passengers. This is a cool idea because idiots get bounced off the bow all the time.

You were motoring, so he decided technically you are a powerboat.

If it is worth $90 to you or you feel strongly, go to court with photos and argue that due to the pulpit and lifelines the boat is designed for it.

Then pay the $90 plus the court costs because it's a Florida Court and the Judge won't even be listening when you talk.

'
Old 12-05-2014, 20:07   #195

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
...They asked for my ID, and I asked them why they want it. They told my I was in violation and must produce it. They then took my driver's license and ran a check over the radio! I imagine if I had left my ID in the truck I probably would have been arrested for such an egregious offense. The Captain was given a $90 violation, which I will pay for him. This is ridiculous, and I will report this to the Governor and legislature, for what it is worth. It's sad to see the country revert to such a police state. I am a private pilot, and have been reading about over 50 incidents in the last year about private pilots being pulled over on runways and harassed by police for things such as "making too many stops".
bassdan, the moment you became obstinate is when the officer decided to write the violation. Maybe you could have been a little more respectful and only a warning would have been issued.
As far as your last statement, I call BS. Need a link to that and Microsoft Flight Simulator doesn't count.

Tags
florida, men