Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 19:10   #151

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom30 View Post
Different prohibitions. The Sheriff's Department has been discouraging anchorers in exactly the spot DotDun marked on the chart, which was my original choice. They are being told if their anchor marks the bottom in the fork there, they will get a hefty fine. They are "warned" that they will get frequent visits.
Searching Monroe County ordinances, I found nothing about this location. I can't find any special designation at the state level. It would be interesting to know what ordinance/statute they use to disallow anchoring here.

If in fact there are political favors going on, the only way to stop it is in court. The only way to get to court is being charged with a violation. LEOs understand this more than anyone.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:10   #152

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Searching Monroe County ordinances, I found nothing about this location. I can't find any special designation at the state level. It would be interesting to know what ordinance/statute they use to disallow anchoring here.

If in fact there are political favors going on, the only way to stop it is in court. The only way to get to court is being charged with a violation. LEOs understand this more than anyone.
Apparently local LEOs are protecting and serving more than law enforcing. Even the FWC jockeys are "local" in the sense that when off work, they're not having sundowners with transient boaters. I admire the folks who can and do fight these injustices in court even though it appears quixotic.

I don't see it as conspiracy as much as corruption, part of the slippery slope of social rot. Regardless, let's not be Pollyannas about it by grabbing our ankles: Refuse a boarding if you can, be compliant when you must, and always have yer act together.

Wonder if a real obvious cockpit-mounted video camera would help? No threats or drama, just turn it on as water cops approach, just as you might turn it on in the evening at anchor.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:35   #153

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Aircraft fuels and engines are some of the cleanest burning devices. Fuels are honest without a mess of additives. Better burning engines than most autos and all small engines. Jets burn kerosine - same as we burn in a portable heater as emergency heat in the house. You can't even smell it. Products of combustion are CO2 and water - nothing else. There is real conspiracy but this is not it.
I'm afraid that this is false information. Jet engines emit not only CO2 and H2O but also various oxides of nitrogen, unburned hydrocarbons, oxides of sulfur, carbon monoxide, carbon soot. Of these, oxides of nitrogen present the biggest problem, and jet aircraft operations are a significant source of these. See: http://adg.stanford.edu/aa241/emissi...primer2005.pdf

Nor is it true that jet fuels are "honest without a mess of additives." On the contrary, jet fuel typically contains antioxidants, antistatic agents, corrosion inhibitors, biocides, metal deactivators, and fuel system deicing inhibitors. Some of these are pretty nasty -- for example, jet fuel antioxidants are usually made of alkylated phenols, which are highly toxic and which accumulate in tissues. See: Jet fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But you don't need additives to produce emissions. Air is mostly nitrogen; and petroleum contains small amounts of sulfur. So burning petroleum fuels always produces a certain amount of oxides of nitrogen as the nitrogen in the air is oxidized in the combustion reaction, and the sulfur in petroleum fuels produces nasty combustion products. Besides that, no combustion process is ever completely perfect, and so some hydrocarbons also come out unburned, and some carbon comes out as soot.

So, in sum, there's nothing all that special about jet engines, where emissions are concerned. They produce all the same stuff that diesel and otto cycle engines do -- to varying degrees -- and present many of the same challenges.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:27   #154

Boat: Custom 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Wonder if a real obvious cockpit-mounted video camera would help? No threats or drama, just turn it on as water cops approach, just as you might turn it on in the evening at anchor.
That is a great idea. It wouldn't even really have to work (the camera). It's watchful eye might serve to keep someone honest.

It is different dealing with LEA's on the water. When you are pulled over in a car, there is other traffic, other eyes. When you are stopped on the water there may be no one around for miles or hundreds of miles, and all parties are aware of that fact.

BTW, I'm not going to play the "Take the Citation to court" game either. As a cruiser, I don't plan to spend months in one spot to have a Judge maybe (if he feels like it) listen to my side before he tells me to pay the Clerk.

Besides, there were no Citations issued, that is not the tactic. The tactic is legal (kinda) harassment by inspection, by alternating Agencies if necessary, to send the clear message that you are unwanted and that it will turn bad sooner or later. This is not new, been going on on the Fl west coast for too long.

'
Old 10-02-2014, 05:41   #155
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Ah Ludowici, Now your getting close to sailorchic land. They had the magic traffic light with the switch controlling it in the barber shop on the corner of highway 301. They also had their radar guns taken away for a bit. The sheriff was caught voting the graveyard. That is casting votes for the dearly departed, because they would have voted for him if alive (a direct quote too). Lovely town....

I still remember the trucker pulled over by the infamous traffic light, hopping up and down mad.
You know Ludowici? I thought you were a California girl. You from around there? I was born up the road in Statesboro and still have family there.

Many years ago I was pulled over in Ludowici and didn't get a ticket. Maybe the only person in history that happened to. They have cleaned up since the old speed trap days and are now just another strip mall looking spot on 301.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:24   #156

I think a camera really might help. If real long term cruisers did this, word would spread around quickly I'd think. Might want a real sensitive directional sound pickup as well. At least then the various agencies we're funding to harass protect us would know that they'd have to kill us to keep us quiet.

Oh wait ...

Just kidding, hopefully. The camera would also be more valuable than a watchdog for nights and times when off the boat. Bound to be an app for that. And the cost wouldn't even be a blip in the average cruiser's $5K monthly budget. I'm going to put mine on the windgen pole so I can adjust the angle depending on where the badges and guns authorities decide to attempt to board.

Sure as shinola, the one thing I've noticed is that authorities hate to hear that they work for us. Why's dat?

As a poster noted above, it's funny that the FWC was involved. I guess they can focus on sea grasses but that old oolite isn't the kind of living coral we want them protecting.

No conspiracy; I think this really is an illustrative case of local big money talks, and cruisers walk. It's been adjudicated. It's the law being lawless.

Does anyone know the outcome of the homeowner who'd play the real loud music off his waterfront porch to harrass anchored boats? I think it was in Miami Beach or maybe Palm Beach several years back.

How about one of you local lawyers down that way taking it upon yourself to remind the local badges and guns that integrity is also a part of their job?
Old 10-02-2014, 06:29   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
You know Ludowici? ... They have cleaned up since the old speed trap days and are now just another strip mall looking spot on 301.
You mean like the long ugly strip mall from Key Largo to Key West?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:05   #158

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
You mean like the long ugly strip mall from Key Largo to Key West?
Or the longer uglier strip mall from Homestead to West Palm Beach.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:13   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Or the longer uglier strip mall from Homestead to West Palm Beach.

^^^^ wot he said!
Old 10-02-2014, 10:13   #160
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
You know Ludowici? I thought you were a California girl. You from around there? I was born up the road in Statesboro and still have family there.

Many years ago I was pulled over in Ludowici and didn't get a ticket. Maybe the only person in history that happened to. They have cleaned up since the old speed trap days and are now just another strip mall looking spot on 301.
Honnychild, I'm actually related to about half the folks in Glenville, GA, just up the road a bit from Ludowici. A little convoluted in that family tree. My daddy was from the sticks, where Glenville was the big town.

I'm a transplanted Georgia girl living for the moment on the left coast.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:52   #161
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Honnychild, I'm actually related to about half the folks in Glenville, GA,

not really sure if I would admit being related to half a southern town
Old 10-02-2014, 10:59   #162

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
At least she's not related to the other half.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:17   #163
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
At least she's not related to the other half.

wait, before going down this path further we need to be sure we all are using the same definition of "related"
Old 10-02-2014, 11:54   #164
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Honnychild, I'm actually related to about half the folks in Glenville, GA, just up the road a bit from Ludowici. A little convoluted in that family tree. My daddy was from the sticks, where Glenville was the big town.

I'm a transplanted Georgia girl living for the moment on the left coast.
Oh gee. We might be distant cousins. Our family also came from the sticks, south Bulloch county but also have some relatives from Claxton (you know, the place just up the road from Glenville where they make fruitcakes that resemble iron bars). I'm definitely related to most of the old families in that part of the country.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:56   #165
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well, it's pretty common in these small, rural towns. If you aren't related to someone by blood then you probably are by marriage.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, men