Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 12:00   #91
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

Goats living in the land of the sheeple and doing nothing but saying baaaa because they feel a goat is higher up should just move to a new pasture. Otherwise they should just admit they are part of herd.

Don't be blaming the sheeple for conditions if you chose to remain with them. Move out and into Goatland.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:16   #92

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Sounds like a change of states is in order!! we don't have these problems down the Bayou ! But then we do slow down for the no wake zones !!
Old 07-02-2014, 12:16   #93

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

It's sure easy to tell when the chemtrails website goes down...
Old 07-02-2014, 12:20   #94
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
It's sure easy to tell when the chemtrails website goes down...
I had to look it up (seems I'm way behind for being informed) so to save others the trouble:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The chemtrail conspiracy theory posits that some trails left by aircraft are chemical or biological agents deliberately sprayed in the sky for purposes undisclosed to the general public and directed by various government officials.[1] This theory has been refuted by the scientific community: such trails are simply normal contrails (condensation trails).[2]
Because of the popularity of the conspiracy theory, official agencies have received many inquiries from people demanding an explanation.[1][3] Scientists and government officials around the world have repeatedly needed to respond, repeating that supposed chemtrails are in fact nothing but normal contrails.[4]
The term chemtrail is a portmanteau of the words "chemical" and "trail", just as contrail is a contraction of "condensation trail".[5] The term does not refer to other forms of aerial spraying such as agricultural spraying ('crop dusting'), cloud seeding, skywriting, or aerial firefighting[6]—the term specifically refers to aerial trails allegedly caused by the systematic high-altitude release of chemical substances not found in ordinary contrails, resulting in the appearance of characteristic sky tracks. Supporters of this conspiracy theory speculate that the purpose of the chemical release may be for solar radiation management, psychological manipulation, human population control,[1] weather modification,[3] or biological or chemical warfare, and that these trails are causing respiratory illnesses and other health problems.[7][8]
Old 07-02-2014, 14:20   #95

Boat: Skookum 53'

I knew those darn skywriters were up to no good!
Old 07-02-2014, 14:40   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
What I found interesting is he was offended over being stopped for speeding but never once stated he wasn't speeding. I don't know the location or the speed but I do know that you can speed in some areas with a 7' dinghy and a 4 hp motor. In a no wake zone, it's capable of making a wake. He also didn't state he was ticketed. So if you're just warned or asked to watch your speed, then what is wrong with that?
True. but - It is nearly impossible to run a RIB no wake. They plow a pile of water UNTIL they plane. My Jon is zero wake at 25 knots. My 58 CAMPER NICHOLSON is zero wake at 10 knots. The local cops ticket PWCs for wake violation at idle. On the other hand harbor cops at a MOTH demo ticketed the factory driver for wake violation while up on the foil. Give an ordinary city cop a gun, uniform and 900 HP and he will become a jerk. Don't suppose a prop guard changes things in the Manatee zone?
Old 07-02-2014, 14:48   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I had to look it up (seems I'm way behind for being informed) so to save others the trouble:

Supporters of this conspiracy theory speculate that the purpose of the chemical release may be for solar radiation management, psychological manipulation, human population control,[1] weather modification,[3] or biological or chemical warfare, and that these trails are causing respiratory illnesses and other health problems.[7][8]
Aircraft fuels and engines are some of the cleanest burning devices. Fuels are honest without a mess of additives. Better burning engines than most autos and all small engines. Jets burn kerosine - same as we burn in a portable heater as emergency heat in the house. You can't even smell it. Products of combustion are CO2 and water - nothing else. There is real conspiracy but this is not it.
Old 07-02-2014, 14:56   #98

Boat: Morgan 383

I have to agree with woodymr's attitude, if not all of his comments. Oh well.
Local law enforcement, especially since all of the Patriot Act BS has been enacted, is under a lot of pressure. They have been given enormous amounts of money and have cowboyed up with big rigs. Sure, in southern FL they need the big stuff. Here in the north we are under the impression that the Canadians are massing at the border and getting ready to invade. (I kinda hope so; they party hard.)
There isn't a lot of critical thinking going on at times when stops are made.
Yup, they can stop and search you anywhere. Dat's da law as they say. I further agree that a good, cooperative attitude is the best (nearly the only) defense. If you are clean, be nice. If you have a minor violation, admit it, ask what you can do better, and be nice. Bad mouth them when you get to the bar.
As stated in another reply, they are (usually) kids with guns and broad authority. What would you do when you were 19?
Old 07-02-2014, 15:01   #99

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Funny the crap we are willing to put up with in name of "protection".
Give some idiot a gun and badge, and now all of a sudden he is supposed to be respected?
Old 07-02-2014, 15:14   #100

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
True. but - It is nearly impossible to run a RIB no wake. They plow a pile of water UNTIL they plane. My Jon is zero wake at 25 knots. My 58 CAMPER NICHOLSON is zero wake at 10 knots. The local cops ticket PWCs for wake violation at idle. On the other hand harbor cops at a MOTH demo ticketed the factory driver for wake violation while up on the foil. Give an ordinary city cop a gun, uniform and 900 HP and he will become a jerk. Don't suppose a prop guard changes things in the Manatee zone?
Most no-wake zones I've seen also have a maximum speed associated with them of 5mph or something around that. So, even though you can go 25mph with no wake issues, you'd be breaking the speed limit part of it. I've got a RIB with a 30hp motor on it as my dinghy and can't count the times I've violated both the no wake zone and speed limits, mostly on the edge of the zone, but I wouldn't call anyone who called me on it a jerk, after all I'm breaking the rule. It's not like I go blasting through a mooring field up on plane, but around the edges of a big harbor or in the off season when the boats are almost all gone, I've bent both of those rules a little, actually more than a little but apparently the local authorities haven't minded when I did it because I've never gotten in any trouble or even had a written warning. If you're in a harbor or section of river for awhile you get used to how the local harbor cop or harbormaster interprets the rule and modify your speed accordingly. No big deal.
Old 07-02-2014, 15:18   #101

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Does anybody really think a 50,000 lb boat moving 10 knots (=1.46 x sqrt LWL) is not making a wake?
Old 07-02-2014, 15:25   #102

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Hedtke View Post
Here in the north we are under the impression that the Canadians are massing at the border and getting ready to invade. (I kinda hope so; they party hard.)
Damn! We've been spotted boys. Call of the invasion, and retreat back to the hockey rinks .

To be somewhat serious, I am quite disturbed by the increasing police state our two states (US and Canada) are becoming. Fear is the operating principle now. And when people are scared, they'll acquiesce to all sorts of attacks on their rights.

The US is a bit further along the track than us up here in Canada, but we're not far behind. Unfortunately, we seem to import every bad idea you guys get, just five to 10 years later. We tend to ignore the good ones .
Old 07-02-2014, 16:00   #103

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Damn!Unfortunately, we seem to import every bad idea you guys get, just five to 10 years later. We tend to ignore the good ones .

It's not like our good ideas come along very often. :Viking:
Old 07-02-2014, 18:46   #104
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymr View Post
I spent 13 mos. in a private prison in Az. while they made money off me, for possession of marijuana ( well actually for ignoring thier dumb ass money making probation oppurtunity)
So, you're a felon?
Old 08-02-2014, 04:44   #105

Boat: Skookum 53'

Unless it was possession with intent to distribute, it is a misdemeanor .

Tags
florida, men