Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 14:46   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to woodymr
Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

1/15/14 - While waiting on south side of Hallandale Beach Blvd. bridge on ICW in Broward County, Fl. I observed FWC officers holding posistion on north side of bridge in the channel for a good 15-20 minutes as I waited for an opening. They proceeded south and passed me port to port south of the draw. As I was navigating to go through the draw they approached my 32' sailboat as if to tie up to me and ignored the shiny registration sticker posted on the bow as required and asked me if I had current registration. I said yes but you can see me on the other side of this bridge! Well they got their attitude on and said we dictate how this is gonna go! I said I am a vessel of limited manueverability and need to proceed! One of the three smarted off Are you moving? I replied yes and he said well keep moving! So they followed me through the draw and once on the north side they came alongside, tying thier boat to mine and proceeded to show me who is the boss. When I had to go into the cabin to retrieve my paperwork one of officers stepped on my binoculars coming aboard my boat like he was affraid I was getting a weapon to use to defend me and my vessel from their harrasment! So while seeing my vessel out of control with these yahoos alongside I had to back down to stay in the channel. Well they didn't like that either! When they had enough goading me (was really angry and let em know it for putting me and my vessel in jeopardy) they finally untied their boat from mine but not before my boat touched bottom! I cursed those SOB's like any proper sailor would and backed off the bottom into the channel an "steamed" on my way north bound. I called the Broward County main office and registered a complaint and actually recieved a call back from a Lt. supervisor who took my report. Now I know there are far more worse horror stories of abuse by these misguided souls but I am ex Coast Guard and tug captain now disabled and on a oxygen breathing tank... and really? WTF? What a state Florida (or this country even) has become since was a kid in "the hammocks" on the Matanzas River Peace be with us all.
Old 15-01-2014, 14:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

FWC..??

FLOLKIN WANKA COPS.....???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 15-01-2014, 14:57   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

They need some training. I've always been polite when approached but they seem to be a bit over the top. The poop police.
Old 15-01-2014, 14:59   #4

Thanks Boatman61 for enjoying my tirade. I regret not labeling thread Florida boater abuse or something, oh well I enjoyed writing this and as you suggested a while back I will post more stories of my lurid life adroad, on a broad, damn aboard! Oh yea get this...Florida Wildlife and Conservation!
Old 15-01-2014, 15:01   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

You hit bottom , might wanna ask their Lt Supervisor whos paying for the haulout and inspection and any subsequent lost paint thanks to them stopping you where they did. > Funny they wont come out at night when you have a drunk boater hit your boat, they are rarely there when you truly need them but they have all the time to bother a sailboater in a narrow waterway. Whos displaying current registration .
Old 15-01-2014, 15:04   #6

I am totally in sync with ya Vasco, but at my age and state of health...I am a super hero for justus! I agree more training needed but not at our expense. Can't they use monkies or something? LOL
Old 15-01-2014, 15:12   #7

Whoa not even gonna try to spell ya but thanks for reply, If I had any thought of actually getting somewhere with a claim, I do need new bottom paint. BTW the Lt. did ask how I got off the bottom and I said I backed off, knowing, at least better than to tell him that I have lot of experience from previous grounding adventures!
Old 15-01-2014, 15:17   #8

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I just lost my wife unexpectedly. When the police showed up after calling 911, I explained that she had been in pain management for 10 years due to an unfortunate accident. Instead of compassion, it became a drug investigation. I was able to provide proof, dates of scripts, Drs, etc, all while waiting for the Medical Examiner. We live in a small town, and are well known. I think the Law Enforcement people watch too much TV, or suffer from some sort of complex, or some other unexplained syndrome. What ever happened to "Protect and Serve"?
It just appears as we are heading to just the kind of militaristic society that mimic the countries that we invade because they are too militaristic. Law enforcement today has no sense of community.
Old 15-01-2014, 15:21   #9

Boat: Tayana 37

Unfortunately, this is just one more reason why, once I get the boat I'm buying out of Florida, we won't ever be going back. Way too many horror stories about the FWC.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-01-2014, 15:22   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

That's what happens when you mess with the Taliban.. its contagious..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 15-01-2014, 15:42   #11

Oh my, I figured I'd open a can o worms, but what good worms! So sorry for your loss and mistreatment. I spent 13 mos. in a private prison in Az. while they made money off me, for possession of marijuana ( well actually for ignoring thier dumb ass money making probation oppurtunity) Just goes to show ya...we come in this world alone and we leave it alone....lost mine of 14yrs due to house fire in '96 ...speaking of "Poop Police) I'm sorry but it's fun to say....say it .... poop police.....I met with Green Cove Springs, Fl. city manager Danielle Judd when filing a complaint against chief of police and officers illegaly trying to charge us liveaboards at anchor, 10.00 for just bringing our dinghy to the city public dock. She asked me (mind you, nevermind my complaint) what do you all do with your "affluent" ? I about died trying to keep from laughing in her face!
Old 15-01-2014, 15:47   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I've run into brain damaged water cops everywhere. Worse since 911 and NSA with unlimited FED fund subsidies of boarder states. County and city cops with 900 HP outboards, big guns, big attitudes and little or no training. The only professionals are CG. In Cleveland, city cops tried to 'pull everyone over' 5 minutes into a Cleveland race week regatta for inspections. We told them it was a sanctioned race event. They said, 'don't care'. We collectively fold them how & where to get ******. I had a county Sheriff on Long Lake try to stop me on my Tornado Cat while flying a hull, jib, main & kite. I told him he could see my life jacket (on me). I told him to buzz off or follow and talk from a safe distance because I wasn't stopping. Moron Sheriff on a small inland lake up here drove over a ski tow rope, dragged the vessel backwards and swamped it. Ohio finally enacted a law to prevent harassment by non-fed enforcement. Mostly here in Michigan, they leave the big guys alone. There are plenty of small boats with too many passengers and too few jackets. They also finally learned (most of them) that documented vessels may not display state numbers. That took a while.

I guess, as per the rules etc. I would not stop, hove to if it put the vessel or crew at risk or created a navigational hazard to others. Just tell them what you intend to do and do it decisively and without hesitation or permission. The locals will have to deal
with it and the CG will understand. I wonder what would happen if you called the county supervisor first off?
Old 15-01-2014, 15:49   #13

Oh by the way, the "label" of my boat (which is not painted on the boat, drives bridge tenders batty) is "42" The answer to the Ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything. I can tell you what is really going on but you would'nt believe me so....onward thru the fog...
Old 15-01-2014, 15:53   #14

Great story! You know I actually considered calling the CG but figured they have more important things to do and the fact that feds won't turn on feds !
Old 15-01-2014, 15:56   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Hey, I had an FWC officer caution me about me Tartan 33 throwing an excessive wake. Keep in mind, my aging T-33 has an original engine, so we never turn over 2500. When I asked if he was joking, I got "the stare". Dropped her to 2300 rpm.

I have a deep respect for all LEOs. But some seem to have suffered greatly from the closing of so many donut shops.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, men