Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 06:00   #136

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom30 View Post
There is no marked channel.

There are no daymarks on the river between the bridge and the bay entrance, and only 2 reds at that end a mile away.

No need for a channel, the river is 400-600ft wide, deep from bank to bank, and used by pleasure craft and the CG.
I believe that is a marked channel between red #8 and #10.

Quote:

He didn't show me anything except that he was wearing a gun and badge.

He didn't ask for ID, Registration, didn't want to board or check anything. He didn't care whether I was a felon or a Congresscrook. He didn't care if I had weapons, or if the boat was loaded with pot. He didn't care if I had a boatload of baby lobsters that had been speared (his real job). He was very polite, and truthful.

He just firmly made it clear that I would be moving, with a sense of urgency that suggested the phone might already be ringing. I feel sorry for him in a very tiny sliver of a way, as he understands his role in the situation.

Don't even bother with the "just doing his job" stuff, as the same applies to hookers and hit men. He chooses to do the job and play that role, every day when he climbs aboard.

I was no more or less "in the Navigation Channel" than the homeowner's boats tied to the sea wall on the other side.
Property owners have riparian/littoral rights to use the water adjacent to their titled land.

Quote:

I have no interest in fighting it, as it is obvious by the actions of several of the State's sworn official representatives that the battle is already over. The privileged waterfront homeowners now decide who and what will use the water, and for what purpose. I have every confidence in his ability to create a reason to make me move, at whatever level of escalation I force him up to.

'
The time to fight it is not when talking to the officer, accept the ticket and take it to court.

IMO, legally you could have anchored just past the fork in the river (yellow arrow).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SnakeCreek.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	75579  
Old 09-02-2014, 06:05   #137

Boat: Skookum 53'

Why does everyone pick on hookers and hit men? They both provide a much needed service.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:15   #138

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
We decided to stop and visit some friends on our way to the islands this year. Their boat is in a marina at Snake River, Islamorada (Fl Keys).

The traditional anchorage for boats there is in the southern fork of the river on the bay end. I had planned to anchor there.

The Admiral went ahead from Marathon to start her visit while I singlehanded the boat up from Marathon (I skipped JackBoot Key this time).

Quote:

He didn't show me anything except that he was wearing a gun and badge.

He didn't ask for ID, Registration, didn't want to board or check anything. He didn't care whether I was a felon or a Congresscrook. He didn't care if I had weapons, or if the boat was loaded with pot. He didn't care if I had a boatload of baby lobsters that had been speared (his real job). He was very polite, and truthful ...

Doesn't sound like you skipped "Jackboot Key" after all.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:45   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I don't get this whole world going to h... in a kettle or whatever. The thread started with one person upset over an overzealous TWC crew. If as described, that was wrong. But holy crap how one small action like that by three individuals becomes cause for all the angst in the rest of the thread, I don't get.

I mean, like for real, fill your life with the good and let the bad float by. I mean we've been stopped when I think the only reason was a bunch of us girls with very skimpy bikinis and the dudes wanted to see closer up. I don't know. Don't care. People in power do abuse it sometimes but hopefully not in ways to cause us real harm. Drive a red Porsche and you're more likely to get the ticket than the dude in the grey Buick.

I don't know. I just feel for those of you who have the angry, the angst, the fear. But all these things you think are new and experienced for the first time in history, they're not all that new and the fears you have, people have felt before. I just hope you're not letting all the negatives prevent you from having happiness in your lives.

Don't be like McCarthy. He saw a commie behind every bush. Don't see every little screw up as part of some great conspiracy. Ok, end of speech. Now this hot girl going to tell my hubby how much I love him. Off for now.
BandB

No kidding... My thoughts exactly... Try and keep the McCarthy/Doomsdayer/Conspiracy contributions to a minimum... It really detracts from the posts... AND... enjoyment of reading...

Been meaning to say for a bit that you guys are a fun comment team... Thanks for the posts...

PS: Only car I never got a ticket in is a red turbo Porsche... *knock wood* Defies logic... Maybe I should sell before my luck runs out...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 09-02-2014, 07:06   #140

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Custom30, are you sure it was an FWC officer? Since the FWC doesn't answer to the Monroe county sheriff I would be surprised that they would be enforcing his edicts. Are you sure the guy wasn't from the Sheriff's department?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:24   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Aircraft fuels and engines are some of the cleanest burning devices. Fuels are honest without a mess of additives. Better burning engines than most autos and all small engines. Jets burn kerosine - same as we burn in a portable heater as emergency heat in the house. You can't even smell it. Products of combustion are CO2 and water - nothing else. There is real conspiracy but this is not it.
This is a joke right? You don't honestly think Jet Fuel doesn't have any additives do you? You don't really think jets don't pollute anything other than water vapor and CO2?

Sorry, I just had to check. Sometimes hard to know when people on the internet are goofing around. Back to topic.
Old 09-02-2014, 16:23   #142

Boat: Custom 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Custom30, are you sure it was an FWC officer? Since the FWC doesn't answer to the Monroe county sheriff I would be surprised that they would be enforcing his edicts. Are you sure the guy wasn't from the Sheriff's department?
Different prohibitions. The Sheriff's Department has been discouraging anchorers in exactly the spot DotDun marked on the chart, which was my original choice. They are being told if their anchor marks the bottom in the fork there, they will get a hefty fine. They are "warned" that they will get frequent visits.

It was an FWC Officer who said I couldn't anchor around the bend from from the CG Station.

There is not a single marker on that side of the bridge, except those marking the approach to the River at the Bay end. I was out of the 250' wide or so of deeper water toward the middle. Vessels have recently been anchored there for lengthy stays without incident.

If we are going to start declaring rivers and waterways as channels from bank to bank and prohibiting anchoring, guess that would be the end of the Great Loopers.

I didn't question the homeowner's right to have their boat there, I merely pointed out that I was no more in the "channel" than they are.

'
Old 09-02-2014, 16:41   #143

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
SNIP

They are being told if their anchor marks the bottom in the fork there, they will get a hefty fine. They are "warned" that they will get frequent visits.

SNIP
FWC is charged with enforcing environmental regulations relating to boats destroying sea grass and coral by running aground or with ground tackle. Also think there are some restrictions about mangroves.

The fines are based on the amount, by area, of sea grass destroyed and can run into six figures easily.
Old 09-02-2014, 17:13   #144
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Looking at that chart it clearly is a channel. I assumed you were just along some stretch of waterway that boats went thru, so they were calling it a channel.

I was threatened with arrest and a weekend in jail in Ft Myers several years ago if I didn't pull anchor. I was aboard with my wife and 10 month old son. So there are greater and lesser degrees of intimidation. The officer went so far as to suggest I might have a rough time in the jail over the weekend until I would apparently go to court on Monday morning.
Old 09-02-2014, 17:24   #145

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
My policy is to politely say no. I was approached 3 times in one week during my transport back and forth to a job I was doing. 3 separate agencies. All said they were going to board. I politely said "I respectfully decline your offer to board my boat" None boarded. I think theres some caveat or policy that is given that if you dont refuse , your giving consent. This doesnt apply to the coast guard. Ive been boarded by them almost annually. No problem, Im issued a white paper that has never failed to ward off boardings for the next year. They have been professional and polite and did the standard equipment check without digging thru personal belongings or treating you like a criminal. My hats off to their training and professionalism. i wish the rest of the many agencies operated with the same conduct.
Coasties have something the others do not - Training & professionalism.
Old 09-02-2014, 17:27   #146

Boat: Custom 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
FWC is charged with enforcing environmental regulations relating to boats destroying sea grass and coral by running aground or with ground tackle. Also think there are some restrictions about mangroves.

The fines are based on the amount, by area, of sea grass destroyed and can run into six figures easily.
Been over this area in the dinghy several times now. No coral, no grass in the anchoring part of the fork. I did see a Turtle lounging on the bottom where it shoals farther down.

What makes this bottom special is that when anchored above it you can be seen by residents of Bay Isle Drive, Villa Bella Drive, and Severino Dr..

The masses of corals that were excavated to make their venetian canals was bad coral and needed to be destroyed. Good thing they are protecting coral a few hundred feet away that doesn't yet exist.

On the other hand, the Bay where I was directed to anchor is 70% sea grass. That sea grass is not so special, as you can't see it from any of the above named locations.

'
Old 09-02-2014, 17:32   #147

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Looking at that chart it clearly is a channel. I assumed you were just along some stretch of waterway that boats went thru, so they were calling it a channel.

I was threatened with arrest and a weekend in jail in Ft Myers several years ago if I didn't pull anchor. I was aboard with my wife and 10 month old son. So there are greater and lesser degrees of intimidation. The officer went so far as to suggest I might have a rough time in the jail over the weekend until I would apparently go to court on Monday morning.
When I was a kid, we were driving through a small town in SC. As we approached an interception, suddenly the light went to all three colors as a policeman was by the control box and flipped it (old type controls). We continued and said policeman got in his car and followed and stopped us. The policeman said, "I'm sorry but I have a wife and three kids and I just have to produce." The gist was plead guilty and pay then or come back on Tuesday (this was Saturday) for traffic court (we, as were most were traveling through on way to Florida). So you pay. Now interesting thing, the ticket never showed up on driving record in any way. Just a small town collecting revenue. Clearly wrong, but the cost of righting the wrong far exceeded the cost of just paying and continuing.

There was once a town in Georgia where the Governor put up signs to the entrances warning people that it was a speed trap.

But you know what, there are far worse injustices in this world than over zealous FWC or local policemen. I keep that in mind when a situation is about to anger me. First reaction: Poor me, I'm in my boat and was stopped for no reason. Reminder: Poor me? What? I'm in a boat. There are homeless people, starving people, sick people, war torn people. Are they receiving justice? New thought: Ok, that was annoying, but I'm so lucky I'm just going to go on and enjoy things.
Old 09-02-2014, 17:37   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

There was once a town in Georgia where the Governor put up signs to the entrances warning people that it was a speed trap.

Lester Maddox and it was Ludowici
http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/misc/ludowici.htm

Hey, at least he was trying to clean things up
Old 09-02-2014, 18:47   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Lester Maddox and it was Ludowici
Lester Goes To Ludowici - 45rpm

Hey, at least he was trying to clean things up
Ah Ludowici, Now your getting close to sailorchic land. They had the magic traffic light with the switch controlling it in the barber shop on the corner of highway 301. They also had their radar guns taken away for a bit. The sheriff was caught voting the graveyard. That is casting votes for the dearly departed, because they would have voted for him if alive (a direct quote too). Lovely town....

I still remember the trucker pulled over by the infamous traffic light, hopping up and down mad.
Old 09-02-2014, 19:01   #150

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Cops everywhere in the US are really out of control. I'm glad that I now live where there's one cop and he hangs out in the marina's guard shack eating. He's a good guy, we've had him over for dinner. He had never been on a boat before.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, men