Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2013, 05:35   #16

Re: FCC and In Flight calls

I used to ride on trains to New York a lot. They finally had to make "No cell phone" sections. I was seated behind a guy on one trip in the cell phone section. I could have told you everything about his life, by the time we got there from Baltimore.
Old 14-12-2013, 05:43   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
If cell phones dont effect other electronic devises why is it that just prier to my phone ringing my computer screen compresses slightly and a sound is heard in the speakers then the phone rings? this does not always happen but sometimes
Your computer is just crap, that's why ; LOL , that's what u get when you pay $ 300

Dave
Old 14-12-2013, 06:32   #18

I knew that! but my phone is good! Ha Ha
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 06:46   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

There isn't any law against or interference problem with talking on your cell phone in the movies! I still don't what to listen to your conversion during the movie and I don't want to know about your dinner plan with "Julie" on the plane.
Old 14-12-2013, 14:10   #20

Boat: Valiant 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
If cell phones dont effect other electronic devises why is it that just prier to my phone ringing my computer screen compresses slightly and a sound is heard in the speakers then the phone rings? this does not always happen but sometimes
In fact cell phones do interfere with other electronics. And other electronics interfere with cell phones.

Your screen and speakers are hearing the pulsed RF from your phone. While the average power out of a phone is low the peak ERP can be double digit watts to reach distant cell towers. If your phone is interfering then move it further away from the computer and try to place it where it gets maximum bars. That reduces the power and extends battery life.

If airlines use microcells that will reduce the chance of interference on board because the cell phones can operate at greatly reduced power.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 16:28   #21

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

What I don't understand are all the hideously loud buffoons who don't realize that if they got a cellphone they wouldn't have to yell so much.

-Sven
Old 14-12-2013, 16:52   #22

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Forget the interference argument. Who wants to go on a flight pinned next to some yahoo that is engaged in an argument with his or her spouse or have to sit through some discussion on a business proposition. Or listen to a long discourse on how beautiful their children are. Sheesh. I have yet to see a situation where I could not be out of phone contact for three or four hours while on a flight. Are we really that addicted to the #@!!$&% electronic world?
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 17:07   #23

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrad View Post
Forget the interference argument. Who wants to go on a flight pinned next to some yahoo that is engaged in an argument with his or her spouse or have to sit through some discussion on a business proposition. Or listen to a long discourse on how beautiful their children are. Sheesh. I have yet to see a situation where I could not be out of phone contact for three or four hours while on a flight. Are we really that addicted to the #@!!$&% electronic world?
yes
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 18:58   #24

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I used to ride on trains to New York a lot. They finally had to make "No cell phone" sections. I was seated behind a guy on one trip in the cell phone section. I could have told you everything about his life, by the time we got there from Baltimore.
Exactly! All I want is my 3 rum and sprites, lay back in my seat and fall asleep. I don't care how important your sales meeting is.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 19:09   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
It's coming whether you like it or not I'm Afraid

Dave
Old 14-12-2013, 19:16   #26

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It's coming whether you like it or not I'm Afraid

Dave
Like many things in life eh?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 20:14   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jim-

"I travel a lot too. I've been on many flights that had the in-flight phones with the credit card slots on them. They almost never got used."
And at $5/minute, IIRC, there was a reason for that.

"Even if the FCC allows the use of cell phones, the airlines will still have the ability to ban their use as a point of policy."
Ah, not quite. Under the Federal Communications Act of 1934, the FCC has the sole power to regulate anything to do with radio transmitters. Your cell phone is not a phone, it is a radio, and if the FCC didn't give the airlines any discretion in the matter--they wouldn't have any. If the FCC doesn't say the use of a radio may be regulated, or regulated by some other body, then you can use it anyway you please. As a courtesy, they have allowed the airlines to determine the use of radio transmitters aboard aircraft. They don't have to extend that courtesy, and if they don't, TFB, the airlines have no say in the matter.

Rude passengers, kids kicking the seatback, loudmouths on phones...all one and the same.

Of course, you can always do like Miss Emily Latella (late of Saturday Night Live) used to do. Loudmouth gets on the phone, you stick your hands on your ears and go "LA LA LA LA LA" until the noise stops.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 20:53   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think the airlines will look at this as a marketing opportunity to satisfy everyone.

Back of the plane by the toilets can be a voice call zone….
Seats sold at a small surcharge,
calls made only while seated.
Noise barrier bulkhead in front.

Would be popular on short commuter flights and I imagine, those toilets would be popular with the Scottish commuter
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 01:09   #29

Many years ago there were smoking and non-smoking sections. Probably the same thing can be done with cell phone talkers.

We can be pretty well assured they will not allow cell phone talkers to congregate near the restrooms or any other place. Passengers on US carriers and many others have not been allowed to congregate anywhere on board since 9/11.

I agree with Dave, this is coming whether we like it or not. There are many people who lose out on business because they cannot make contact.

If passenger comfort were the major driving force in airline travel today things would be a lot different. Cell phones are another revenue stream for the airlines. They will do just about anything to get more revenue.
Old 15-12-2013, 01:16   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Jim-
"Even if the FCC allows the use of cell phones, the airlines will still have the ability to ban their use as a point of policy."
Ah, not quite. Under the Federal Communications Act of 1934, the FCC has the sole power to regulate anything to do with radio transmitters.
Airline pilots will be able to control cell phone use on board because there must be a micro cell system on board. At cruising altitude regular cell phones are not able to reliably connect to ground based cells. The airline will be able to control when the micro cell is active just as they can do with WiFi today. A pilot has huge discretion as to what equipment operates on a flight and the FCC will not override that.

Neither can the FCC override an FAA directive regarding safety. If the FAA issues safety regulations regarding cell phone use on US carriers and foreign carriers operating in US air space there is nothing the FCC can do about it.

Tags
cal