Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 15:35   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Fake Windows Virus Protection!

If any CF members get a warning of a virus attack using the Windows "shield"
do not try to open it or delete it.....my computer has been in the shop for two days getting fixed because of this....the preliminary reports was that my unit was attacked by a combo of 240 worm/trojans/etc that originated from e-mails.....this was what my virus scan told me.....BEWARE
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 16:29   #2

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
Only one sure fire way to protect a windows computer from viruses...

...buy a mac!

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 17:02   #3

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
That sucks,Chief. I have had more than one problem using Mcaffee and Norton. NEVER AGAIN! Switched to PC Tools Spyware Doctor with Virus protection. No problems at all for two years. IMHO, Chris

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 17:34   #4

Boat: Island Packet 370
Hi Chief:

You might want to consider the free home addition of Avast anti-virus.
The professional addition, which costs $$$, has some extra features which
are nice but unnecessary.
Download FREE antivirus software - avast! Home Edition

Also consider Sunbelt Personal Firewall free edition. You actually download
the professional addition. After 30 days it automatically switches to the free
addition. Again, the professional addition does have some nice extra features
but you don't need them.
Personal Firewall by Sunbelt Software - Full Version & FREE Firewall - Kerio
Why pay $$$ when its all free ?
I've used this stuff lots of years without any problem.

Respectfully,
Paul
BeenThereAteIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 18:17   #5

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
We use AVG (free of course), supplemented with Spybot/Search and Destry with Spywareblaster, also free....God, I am one cheap b_____d!....Allan
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 18:24   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Sorry to hear it Chief.

There is so much good freeware for stopping malware out there that you don't need to pay for any of it. Not mentioned so far is ZoneAlarm firewall software.

Never click on any window that pops up that says you have something bad, no matter how legitimate it looks. Go directly to the malware software already installed on your computer instead.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 19:36   #7

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
I've also got spybot & avg on my windows pc and no probs with viruses or malware/spyware.

Granted, it's got Vista so the system has enough problems functioning without any outside attacks...how I miss my little mac

Sure, you can't play games, but there's something to be said for knowing that the computer will do exactly what it's supposed to do every time...also something about being able to have just about every program open at once and the machine never coughing about it.

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 21:48   #8

Boat: Wants to build 42'Horstman Trimaran
If a mac is additional expense you don't wish to bear, then try a different operating system...Ubuntu Linux, it COSTS NOTHING!! Download the iso image and burn it to a CD, boot Ubuntu disc without having to install and use straight away, go online.

Ubuntu Linux has no spy/malware/viruses (Microsoft 1 million viruses/spyware can't run on Linux), the operating system is years ahead of even Windows7, if fact any Windows OS is a joke...tongaboys

Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu
Ubuntu Forums

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1200215
tongaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:47   #9

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
I've had attacks from this same source and on one occasions was tricked into downloading it.

The problem is the wording in the pop up where if you hit cancel it is actually saying YES. The pop up keeps popping up until you shut down.

It seems several "free" websites have ads that have a virus in them that will kick this thing off. I have 3 different virus systems on my 3 computers... none seem to actually stop this thing. Control Alt Delete then a virus scan seems to work best but if you get the thing like I also did once, I had to call an IT guy and it cost $90.00 to remove the problem.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:13   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
A browser with a popup blocker will stop many of them. I like the popup blocker in Firefox.

Yes, its a form of extortion, they infect you and then offer to remove the infection for a price. I have read about some people who had to resort to zeroing out their hard drive and then reinstalling the OS in order to remove it. I would do that before considering paying an extortionist...as if an extortionist can be trusted to keep their word?

If you practice the principles of safe computing when using any Microsoft OS, you do not need to resort to an alternate OS.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:08   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I think David has hit the nail on the head. I use McAfee and have customers who use McAfee and Norton and have had no problems. I also use Firefox and use the add on popup blocker. I have McAfee set to install updates when they are available which is sometimes three times a day. A little intrusive at times but I have had no problems with virus, nor have my customers. I also have friends that use the free A/V software and they also have not had any problems.

I also would recommend Linux. There are a number of very good Linux systems available, free. The learning curve is steep though and I have found the documentation is confusing because most of it is not version controlled. I would be running Linux (did for about 8 years) but found that my Windows skills were getting rusty.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 07:36   #12

Boat: Wants to build 42'Horstman Trimaran
If you have to use Microsoft OS, this is what I would do. First don't use Internet Explorer, download Firefox and install as a browser.

1. Open Firefox/tools/preferences/ select privacy tab/untick cookies (enable only when you need to or when asked to, ie banking, signing on to CF etc) and select 'keep cookies until I close firefox'/ tick 'clear history when firefox closes'

2. When generally surfing the internet, disable java script.../Select content tab/ untick both java boxes(this can stop your problem 'Reality Check'), only activate java if required, ie banking or signing on to CF etc.

3. Never open email you don't know who it's comes from, delete it unopen, even better open your email at your IP's site (MS email downloader I would never trust). Anything you download, ie programs always scan with your anti-spy/virus,'Reality Check' don't 'push/click here' on any web page!!..... Gee, sorry but this is only the basics I used to keep control, (last used Windozes 3 years ago).

David M + DeepFrz and all you Windozes lovers, all the best with your 1 million viruses, Mirco$oft lololol what a crackup, not skin off my nose mate tongaboys

Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	8920   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	8921  

tongaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 08:42   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I had problems with Norton. Switched to Avast and have been trouble free for months now.

I am sure I just jinxed myself...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 10:32   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The Windows Shield?

Chief, are you talking about Windows Defender, or confusing that with a third-party product, or perhaps...Did you simply get a bogus message courtesy of some other pop-up that was just impersonating Defender?

If you are getting hammered that badly by malware in your EMAIL, you may need to change your email settings so that your software opens email as TEXT ONLY and does not open attachments. If you don't run HTML code, and don't automatically run attachments, your email can't hurt you. Even with no antivirus software at all.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 10:39   #15
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
get AVG and you will be happy (without buying a mac). the xp provided program should be ignored and not used.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote