Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-02-2014, 17:53   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Re: Extricating Yourself From Google's Tentacles

I had a bunch of that ad blocker, ghoster (or whatever you call it) stuff and it slowed so much stuff down I did not put it on my new computer.

Old 23-02-2014, 17:56   #77

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

I am getting so pissed off at all the aps and website that want ALL my contacts! How dare they! my mums private phone number is NOT for every bastard on the internet!
I once ran a business from home, some other business I dealt with had my number associated with my business in their contacts list and presumably sold that database. Even though I have had an office for 12 years, I still get calls at home from people who found my business in an internet search. Try as I might I cant erase that info, it keeps circulating between business information providers who host websites, get more info and sell it on again, steal from each other, whatever. I give a false number now.

Old 23-02-2014, 23:46   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I once ran a business from home, some other business I dealt with had my number associated with my business in their contacts list and presumably sold that database. Even though I have had an office for 12 years, I still get calls at home from people who found my business in an internet search. Try as I might I cant erase that info, it keeps circulating between business information providers who host websites, get more info and sell it on again, steal from each other, whatever. I give a false number now.
Probably the only effective way to maintain your privacy today. Give them BAD information. Always.
Old 24-02-2014, 01:19   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Google is transmogrifying itself into something like the Matrix. Here's a good article on what is going on: Google+ isn't a social network; it's The Matrix | Technology | theguardian.com

What Google is doing is trying to connect the dots between all your contacts, your browsing habits, your social networks. I find it extremely intrusive. Some time ago, I was forced to open a Google+ account in order to even access my many years-old Youtube account. I refused to give it my real name -- I don't want my name associated with my Youtube account, and don't want any of this information to be easily findable by Google searches. Now I get reports that my regular email address (the one registered with my Youtube account) pops up with the fake name which I gave then. And when I go into that Google+ account, there is no way to change the name.

So I have deleted the account altogether, which means 10 years of Youtube videos are gone (but I have them stored in other places and can repost them).

Has anyone else been through this? I am now trying to migrate out of this mess and into less intrusive systems. I need some place to put videos which does not associate my name or email address with them; I need a search engine which does not track and analyze my browsing habits; I need a good old fashioned mail system which does not share my contacts or suggest me to random people as a "friend".

Anyone else been through this? Any useful experience to share?
Back to the original posting, I had (have) this same problem with Youtube. Seems as though it started a little over a year ago or so, that everytime I go to view a youtube presentation a pop-up window appears asking me my youtube name (or something like that). It keeps trying to get me to link my gmail accounts and youtube and name. I tried writing to google on several occasions telling them I DID NOT want to link those items, but of course I got no answer. Now I just have to double click on the youtube presentation to ignore this pop--up window each time....quite annoying though

I'm an older guy, so please help explain a couple of other items, as I don't understand a lot of the 'computer talk' on this subject thread.

I was looking around for photo hosting sites as some of the forums I participate in do not have software that lets you directly post a photo,...rather you must post it on a site, then link it to that forum posting. I wondered, 'how do all of these photo hosting sites make their money to maintain their sites?'. What am I giving up to them for their hosting my photos? When I looked into the Google photo hosting site, Picasa, I believe I remember it was stated that a condition for the use of their site was that you gave them the right to take every photo off of your hard drive if you elected to download any? Is that correct? I rejected using their site as a result. I just felt that was too intrusive.

I hate to say it, but I've become addicted to gmail. I actually have 3 different accounts dealing with different subject matters I'm involved with. Again my memory at my age is not what it use to be, and I find I can go back and drag out an older email that dealt with a subject I might be dealing with several years later. That 'one-word search' capability is just fantastic. Does anyone have an alternative email client to this capability to bring up past discussions, topics, etc??
Old 24-02-2014, 05:32   #80

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I'd like to see an EFF project, or a hacker project, that created a "random cookie exchange" online. You log in, it looks at whose cookies are on your computer, and it randomly exchanges them with other cookies, collected from other users, so that whoever is reading the cookies for marketing and tracking? Gets results scrambled as thoroughly as eggs.
This is a great idea. Making an active countermeasure, rather than just blocking cookies, is funny.

Here's another idea for an active countermeasure: I worked in ad analytics and optimization (its how I retired in my thirties), and, easily the most effective way to mess with the algorithms is to send false positives: click on a few random ads. There is so little signal in the data, since so few people click, that very low numbers of people adding noise by clicking randomly will make most ad algorithms useless. So it would be funny to make a plugin that adds this noise automatically.

But I guess that's not the point. The problem is that advertisers are stuck on the Idea of big data collection enabling highly targeted ads. For example, last year, being able to track someone from their web browser to their phone to when they walk into the store and make a purchase, and linking that purchase all the way back to individual ads that person saw, was way sexy to them. But reality is that most companies are doing an awful job of tracking ideas like this, the algorithms and math they use are mostly garbage-- technobabble to put in their marketing-- and so these capabilities are fake, anyways. Making them more fake won't fix anything, since few people are paying attention if they work.

I totally agree with the other folks who say that there is nothing to fear from Google, Amazon, or etc, and that the problem is their data is shared with government entities who can take away freedoms. Being an enemy of the state is probably a worse choice now than it ever was. My problem, as a non enemy of the state, is that if the government is as sloppy as ad companies are, we will have a lot of innocent people caught up in false positives. As I've read about the no fly list, or the purged voter rolls in Florida, or etc.

Maybe that's why Google and etc are pushing for more transparency. Because its fine to use their data to order drone strikes on terrorists, I trust that good science is used in those cases, but we don't want the local politically motivated DA or tax collector to start prosecuting people wholesale based on a half baked big data experiment.
Old 24-02-2014, 05:57   #81

Boat: sunk by irma

Link below to article about how the terrorists will go to a meeting, throw all their SIM cards into a bag, then randomly draw SIM cards at the end of a meeting in an effort to confuse observers. Doesn't sound like fun to be the guy to draw the short stick!

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/a...s-secret-role/
Old 24-02-2014, 06:07   #82

Boat: sunk by irma

Quote:
"The danger is when the MIB start recruiting from Google. "
Why would they start recruiting from a wholly owned subsidiary? Confused. (G)
What? Crazy talk! Businesses and governments never ever collaborate! There has never ever in history been an occasion when a corrupt business or a corrupt government had influence over the other! Never!

Think about it. Business interests couldn't be more at odds with the government. Google, for example, wants to totally dominate the world's marketplace, whereas the government wants to totally dominate the world's marketplace. See, totally different!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	76654  
Old 24-02-2014, 09:06   #83

I would like to see someone prove that google, and facebook are not government projects. And who is "american megatrends inc."

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-02-2014, 09:23   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Firefox has a "Private Browsing" mode. It's intended to permit browsing without leaving any history or cache on the user's computer when the private session is closed. I'm not certain whether it also starts you off with zero cookies.
That's true.

I also recently installed cClear, which allows you to eliminate the cookies you don't want very easily.

Step-by-step, not that it'll help very much.

They're coming to take me away, ta ha, tee hee...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 11:19   #85

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellin View Post
I would like to see someone prove that google, and facebook are not government projects.
The fact that they continue to innovate?

Well, Google, anyways. Facebook has probably peaked; the question is can they remain the de facto managed social hub, or will something newer knock them off their perch?
Old 24-02-2014, 14:07   #86
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Google is pushing for transparency? "Homey don't think so", not in anything except the lens of a GoogleGlass. Try asking them a question, any question. First, there's no one to ask. Then, there's no one to answer. Transparent, just like the emperor's new clothes?

American Megatrends Inc., aka "AMI" used to be THE alternative name in BIOS (Phoenix BIOS) and processors. Still are the big #2 as far as I know.

I have nothing against invasive finely tuned marketing--as long as that's an "OPT-IN" option only, not an "OPT-OUT". If folks want to opt in, fine for them. For the rest of us...put the ad in the newspaper, I'll find it there if I want to.

Web pages are great, but once you've read them, there's just no way to wrap fish in them, is there?
Old 24-02-2014, 14:47   #87

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Google is pushing for transparency?
Transparency in government requests for their data. I agree they are otherwise a black box.
Old 24-02-2014, 16:06   #88
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Transparency in requests...Hmmm, as opposed to behaving as a business which respects the integrity of their customers, and saying "Gee, that's nice, but we'll need to see a warrant, issued by a court, for specific information relating to a specific party. You know, like that Fourth Amendment thing says?"

And in Google's case, they've got the bucks to do the ethical thing without any complaints about what it might cost.

Google = Persons In Need of Adult Supervision
Old 06-03-2014, 13:59   #89

Boat: Irwin, Sloop, 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yup, I'm increasingly concerned. But the attacks on privacy are everywhere, and the worst thing is, most of us are willing accomplices. Wave a few bobbles in front of us in the form of card "points", "air miles", Facebook "friends" or your own video/photo channels, and most of us willingly hand over our all manner of private information. On their own, no single transaction is a problem. The danger, as others have already said, is that this information can all be linked now. In an analog world it was hard to connect all the dots. In a digital world where increasingly all systems are connected to each other, dot-connection is inevitable.

The problem is that it is nearly impossibly to exist in our modern first-world countries without being part of this privacy market. Just like it is virtually impossible to limit your eco-footprint while living a first-world existence, so too with the trade in your privacy. It's the price we pay -- whether we want to or not.

Turning off your computer is one major way to stop it all, but unfortunately that is the easy part. The problems run much deeper than that. You got to turn off all electronics, stop using digital money (credit and debit cards) and only use cash, disengage from telephone services (they are collecting and selling your info as well). Heck, I bet even your gas and oil companies are collecting and selling data about your energy usage. The problem is that once their is a market for something, companies cannot help but take part in it. There is a huge market for your identity. And all of this likely pales in comparison to the state-sponsored snooping our westerner countries are all involved in.

In other words, it's virtually impossible for most of us to get out. The system(s) do not allow that level of freedom.

I don't believe resistance is futile. As Dockhead, hellosailor, twistedtree and others have said, there are things we can all do to push back. Run through a VPN, use blockers, don't use the obvious grabbers like Google+, Facebook, etc. And use blockers for places like CF (Ghostery is showing multiple snoopers active right now on this page.)

So what's the ultimate answer? Go cruising ... off to some remote mystical land where the digital world does not yet exist . In the meantime, everyone install basic blockers, say no to Facebook, etc. and push back where you can.
Still satellite lol

Sent from my C6916 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-03-2014, 16:23   #90

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Tags
google

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: