Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2012, 18:16   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Exactly 100 times cheaper and easier

Buying a plane ticket is almost exactly 100 times cheaper, easier, less time consuming, more comfortable, less stressful, and arguably more fun than buying a world cruising sailboat and getting it and yourself to a given destination.

I just think this is worth noting.
Old 15-06-2012, 18:26   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Exactly 100 times cheaper and easier

Its all about the journey, not the destination , but I hear you and as they say, nothing goes to windward like a 747.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 18:28   #3

Boat: 1978 Prout Quest 31

It's the journey and life rather than the ultimate destination
tybee22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 18:30   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Only if you are into a 100k rtw budget!

Why not rtw on a quarter of that and have a 4 years' vacation?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 18:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

All too true, but when you get there you can anchor off a world class beach for free or spend hundreds per night on a hotel. Stay a month or so and the economics start looking a little better.

Plus I like sleeping in my berth on the boat a whole lot better than sitting in the modified straight jacket that passes for a seat on commercial jets these days. I would gladly take 10 days in a gale at sea on my boat vs a 10 hour overnight flight on a 747.

Or you could spend $5,000 for a first class seat and fly in comfort but then the economics on the boat start looking even better.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 18:43   #6

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Depends on the distance. I am pretty sure sailing across the harbor is easier than trying to find an airline that could make the trip somehow shorter.
Old 15-06-2012, 18:49   #7

Having spent most of my working life commuting to work and back on planes, i can honestly say i would rather spend six months in a leaky boat than six hours on a plane.....

Bugger the expense.....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 19:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
All too true, but when you get there you can anchor off a world class beach for free or spend hundreds per night on a hotel. Stay a month or so and the economics start looking a little better.

Plus I like sleeping in my berth on the boat a whole lot better than sitting in the modified straight jacket that passes for a seat on commercial jets these days. I would gladly take 10 days in a gale at sea on my boat vs a 10 hour overnight flight on a 747.
I couldn't agree more with these words. I travel overseas quite a bit more than the average American, all for pleasure. I hate being cooped up in an airborne aluminum tube, and would much prefer transiting by sea. So far, the only way I've done that in my life is on board a nuclear powered floating airport, but I've already decided that my next Pacific crossing will be via ground transport (freighter, most likely).

Last year, during a 2-month stay in Japan, I spent over $9,000 on round trip airfare for two, ground transport, and lodging (two weeks in hotels with female that accompanied me, remaining time in youth hostels on my own). It would have been much cheaper via boat.

I started boat shopping last week, and take my first sailing lesson at a club this weekend. Can't wait to join your ranks!
Jassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 19:53   #9

Boat: Leopard 47 Catamaran

Maybe for some.

I'm just completing a 40 year stint as an airline pilot, the last 23 spent in the international arena.

This past February I took my boat from South Carolina, US. to Puerto Rico via Bermuda. The trip was far better than any I have had during the past 20 years, or so, of my airline career. Unfettered by governmental bureaucracy and unsupported by an industry of helpers smelled of freedom.

My wife and 5yr old child joined the adventure in PR where we spent 2 months sailing/motoring no where. To my surprise the wife elected to stay on the boat on the return trip to SC.

The child's ready to go again, anywhere, the wife likes where we go but not so excited about getting there (the trip).

Keep buying those airline tickets, my retirement dole depends on your choice.

Almost 4000 nm and don't regret a yard/fathom/meter.
jim767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 20:04   #10

Or just sit your ass on the couch with a sixer of Budlite and your remote and wait for death...
KnuckleDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 20:11   #11

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I prefer the sailboat to the airplane flight, especially with the all the nonsense that goes on at airports before you even get on the plane.

When I sailed from Turkey to Trinidad over a six month period, I stayed in a marina for zero nights. Quite affordable, and a lot better than feeling like a sardine in a cramped airline seat.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 20:18   #12

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I just think back to anchoring off of fancy Hotels all over the Pacific, and watching folks paying big bucks in those hotels watching us relaxing with our sundowners in the cockpit! and dinkin into the hotel for a fancy dinner, and havin folks ask all those silly questions LOL always make us smile !!
Old 15-06-2012, 20:24   #13

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
I've crossed the Atlantic ten times - planes seven times, the Queen Mary 2 the other times. No contest, and the QM2 is usually cheaper than the flights - with a balcony. Let's see, body cavity search by the TSA, seven hours of torture in a metal tube that stinks like a locker room, or a week of luxury on the ocean. Not much of a close call. (and even if I couldn't do the Queen Mary, i'd still rather cross the ocean clinging to a 55 gallon drum and have screaming albatrosses peck at my liver than fly on a plane.)
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 20:26   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassen View Post
I hate being cooped up in an airborne aluminum tube, and would much prefer transiting by sea. So far, the only way I've done that in my life is on board a nuclear powered floating airport,
Bet the nuclear airport was a lot more comfortable than the aluminum tube but on the other hand bet you couldn't take your girlfriend along.

Quote:
Last year, during a 2-month stay in Japan, I spent over $9,000 on round trip airfare for two, ground transport, and lodging (two weeks in hotels with female that accompanied me, remaining time in youth hostels on my own). It would have been much cheaper via boat.
The longer you stay, the better the math works for a boat.

Quote:
I started boat shopping last week, and take my first sailing lesson at a club this weekend. Can't wait to join your ranks!
Come on in. I think there's still a couple of boats left unsold for the new guys.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 20:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Bet the nuclear airport was a lot more comfortable than the aluminum tube but on the other hand bet you couldn't take your girlfriend along.
An aircraft carrier is actually a pretty comfortable ride/home. I lived on board for a year in port, and it was still awesome. But I'm weird like that. And, my ship had a 10% female crew...Booyah.

Quote:
The longer you stay, the better the math works for a boat.
With the math I've been doing, it makes MUCH more sense, even here in the States, actually. The only problem I have with my Japan/Australia dream is getting a boat there safely and cheaply. The seagoing drydock transporters seem a little pricey for my blood.

Quote:
Come on in. I think there's still a couple of boats left unsold for the new guys.
Thanks for the welcome! And yes, the waters seem good if you're on the buyer side of the boat equation these days.
Jassen is offline   Reply With Quote