Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-07-2012, 02:39   #61

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Exactly 100 times cheaper and easier

Oh, is that stuff food? I usually eat the tray, safer and tastier.

And I like the little complimentary hot towel for a catwash, but getting undressed in the cramped seat is too much of a struggle so I use the aisle. Travel is never boring for me....

Old 22-07-2012, 22:23   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Here's some cold truth. We are putting our boat on the hard. We have purchased two tickets to Moscow, taking the Trans Siberian across two continents, then spending the winter in Thailand.

The other trip we budgeted for was going to be down the East Coast of the USA to the Bahamas (see expensive places to visit). Don't get me wrong Maryland in November sounds amazing and exotic, but I think I am getting way more bang for my buck with trip A.

In contrast if I wanted to sail to Thailand (safely) I would literally be spending 5 to 10 times what we are planning to spend on this trip.

I'm not saying I hate cruising on a sail boat, I don't, I love it. I'm just saying that many people use their sailing dreams as a way to stall. If you want to travel then you have have to leave and you have to do it sooner rather than later because later doesn't come for many of us.

Old 22-07-2012, 22:24   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

PS I secretly like airline food and I have a hard time not crying at the end of "Operation Dumbo Drop", which they seem to show every frigging flight I am on.
Old 22-07-2012, 23:19   #64

Boat: Freedom 45 hull#1

I suppose you need to join a tour bus forum Ben.
I don't sail as a way to get from A to B, I sail to enjoy the freedom and challenge. The dynamics and romance of sailing is timeless.
I don't have to justify how much it cost, I am doing what I want to do.

Chuck
Old 23-07-2012, 20:16   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom45 View Post
I suppose you need to join a tour bus forum Ben.

Chuck
unnecessary
Old 21-11-2012, 17:55   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, I feel it necessary to check in on this topic since we are now 2 months into a 3 month trip and are currently visiting Southern Laos after visiting Russia, China, Mongolia, and Thailand.

Is it still cheaper and easier? Yes definitely. As with all things there are limitations. Often on a sailboat you are relegated to the coastal regions and it is difficult to see anything inland. It gets very expensive to stay in urban areas so I tend to hang out in rural anchorages.

Backpacking also has its limitations. For one, unless you are very adventurous, you tend to be limited to the tourist trail. Been there done that. I would also say that getting yourself around a third world country on public transportation can have the same risk factor as say base jumping.

One way that backpacking greatly rivals cruising is in demographics. Now I have no problem with retired people, in fact I love them. But when you cruise in your thirties it can be a little tiresome to always be around people 30 years your senior. Backpacking is a young persons activity and we have benefited from the excitement and action of being around other people our age.

Do I like flying, training, driving better than sailing? No, not really. It is all adventure. Is it cheaper in the long run? Provided you are "backpacking" ie staying in hostels and guesthouses and not at 4 star hotels, definitely.

I will say this, train travel is, in my opinion, superior to all other forms of travel. Taking the train has the same level of romance for as sailing. It is far more comfortable, less dangerous and more relaxing. Plus it is very hard to get lost on a train!
Old 21-11-2012, 18:11   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
How much does that waterfront accommodation with separate lounge dining room, ability to step off the balcony and slide into the cool clear water and fantastic water views cost you/night on arrival?
$300- $1000?
Ahhh about $10 a night where I am.
Old 21-11-2012, 19:09   #68

Comparing flying to sailing is like bragging you didn't have to read a book because you watched the movie. Knowing the cost of things doesn't mean you know the value.
Old 21-11-2012, 20:36   #69

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Just noticed this thread and must say I'm more in the unbusted67 camp than not. I love my cruising boat but planes and especially trains are great too. I'm finding that there is so much you can't see from the boat or it's just too difficult. For example, in May we are going to Spain to hike the Camino de Santiago, a 800km hike across northern Spain. Then we've been thinking about the Trans-Siberian train trip the OP mentioned. And there are other trips on the radar most of which don't involve a boat.

No, for me there's just too much to do and see to limit myself to the cruising boat. It's just one of several modes of travel.
Old 21-11-2012, 21:09   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67
Buying a plane ticket is almost exactly 100 times cheaper, easier, less time consuming, more comfortable, less stressful, and arguably more fun than buying a world cruising sailboat and getting it and yourself to a given destination.

I just think this is worth noting.
I think you are exactly 100% wrong and on the wrong forum.

If you wanted to go to one place and come back, great. but try flying all over the world for a few years, staying in hotels and hostels, eating out 3X a day and see how much you spend.
If you want to see the world, I don't think there is a more cost effective, or more enjoyable way to do it then buyinig a reasonably priced sailboat and living on it.
Old 21-11-2012, 21:21   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
I think you are exactly 100% wrong and on the wrong forum.

If you wanted to go to one place and come back, great. but try flying all over the world for a few years, staying in hotels and hostels, eating out 3X a day and see how much you spend.
If you want to see the world, I don't think there is a more cost effective, or more enjoyable way to do it then buyinig a reasonably priced sailboat and living on it.
Really! He has a cruising boat and has posted the topic under "Off Topic Forum" so I think it's entirely appropriate. You are of course free to disagree with the OP but I think out of line to say he's on the wrong forum.
Old 21-11-2012, 21:31   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles

Really! He has a cruising boat and has posted the topic under "Off Topic Forum" so I think it's entirely appropriate. You are of course free to disagree with the OP but I think out of line to say he's on the wrong forum.
Good point, thanks
Old 21-11-2012, 21:34   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Ha ha thanks Doodles, I think a lot of people are reading this as me being some outsider just saying, "don't buy a boat, it's not a good way to travel". On the contrary I own and actively cruise my sailboat.

I also don't want to be misrepresented when I am talking about types of travel. I do not think taking around trip flight to a Club Med and returning home only to jet off to another place is an efficient or pleasant means of travel. The type of travel Doodles and I are familiar with would best be described as long term "backpacking" or the cruising of land based travel.

I do like that this has sparked such a debate, people are kind of freaking out and I think its kind of funny when "laid back" cruisers yell at me when I suggest there might be an alternative form of travel to the almighty sailing.

I mean the idea is to see the world right? And if your boat gets in the way of that then it's not doing its job.

With the amount of money we saved to see SE Asia, Mongolia and China we would not have even come close to being able to fit out our boat to reach these same places. So we stuck it on the hard and went cruising....with our feet.
Old 21-11-2012, 21:55   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67
Ha ha thanks Doodles, I think a lot of people are reading this as me being some outsider just saying, "don't buy a boat, it's not a good way to travel". On the contrary I own and actively cruise my sailboat.

I also don't want to be misrepresented when I am talking about types of travel. I do not think taking around trip place to a Club Med and returning home only to jet off to another place is an efficient or pleasant means of travel. The type of travel Doodles and I are familiar with would best be described as long term "backpacking" or the cruising of land based travel.

I do like that this has sparked such a debate, people are kind of freaking out and I think its kind of funny when "laid back" cruisers yell at me when I suggest there might be an alternative form of travel to the almighty sailing.

I mean the idea is to see the world right? and if your boat gets in the way of that then it's not doing its job.
I completely agree.

But if it had to be one or the other, I think you'd be able to see more places for a longer time on a given budget on a boat.

The low costs might be more a function of a strong $ than anything else?? It probably depends more on where you want to go.
Old 22-11-2012, 01:05   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
I completely agree.

But if it had to be one or the other, I think you'd be able to see more places for a longer time on a given budget on a boat.

The low costs might be more a function of a strong $ than anything else?? It probably depends more on where you want to go.
But is it really ever a "one of the other" proposition? I don't think so. Sometimes we cruisers get stuck in this mind set that cruising is the best and cheapest way to see the world. Sometimes it is and sometimes not. If you say I'm on this budget and therefore any only afford to see the water and the coastline then I think you close your mind to all the other possibilities like the train travel and backpacking the OP mentioned. Don't forget most of the things we all want to see some day are on land and not right on the coast. I'm thinking about things like the Great Wall, the Pyramids, Machu Picchu, the Amazon, the Himalayas, etc. If we think "budget travel" and not just "budget cruising" we open up to so much more.

After all, how many gorgeous sunsets in some secluded anchorage and one stand?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: