Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-06-2012, 22:41   #46

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Unbusted, I don't disagree that flying is a technological marvel, and it could be an exhilarating experience - but you obviously were not on my last flight from JFK to Heathrow in coach on Virgin. I'd rather take a ten hour bus ride in Mumbai on a hot summer day with chickens in the overhead.

Old 16-06-2012, 22:49   #47

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Re: Exactly 100 times cheaper and easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Really guys?

1 round the world equipped and fitted out sailboat $40,000-$200,000

1 round the world plane ticket with Euro rail passes and intra-continental jumper flights $12,000.

I think you guys are deluding yourselves to the actual cost of sailing a boat long distances.

How much is that SSB radio install going to cost you? How far would that get you in air/train fare? Already have a SSB? How bout that water maker? How about that bottom paint, safety harness, new standing rigging, new running rigging, sails? Really guys, there is no comparison.
Perhaps flying is for you. Maybe you should sell your boat, cash in, buy plane tickets and report back to us how great it is.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 23:11   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:

I never really understood people on airplanes. They are so jaded.
Could it be that they are in a middle seat, so cannot see anything, surrounded by two fat people burping and scratching, who keep pushing their elbows into your sides. Plus the seats behind have two children who keep kicking the back of your seat whilst screaming at the top of their lungs, and a football team at the back of the plane, drunk, yelling out abuse or singing inane songs. 600 mph in those conditions feels like you are going backwards from your destination, not getting nearer.

Coops.
Old 16-06-2012, 23:56   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I travel for a living sometimes, weeks at a time on the road. Some folks check their itinerary to figure out where they're going; sometimes I check it to figure out where I am. All airports blur into one.

But stress or discomfort? Not really. I generally sleep. Flying a few time zones is little more difficult or stressful than driving to the marina. Just boring.
+1

I am on, I guess, 50+ international flights a year. It's no big deal after you get used to it. The more you fly, the less stressful it is. It's slightly worse in places like certain airports in Siberia where the arrivals terminal is a gap in the fence. In Western Europe or the US, it's no discomfort at all.

For anyone who finds air travel stressful, I have one hot tip which should solve any problems - just plan to get to the airport 2 1/2 hours before the nominal flight time, and plan to spend the extra time in a restaurant airside. Bring a good book. Now, if you get stuck in traffic, or forget something, or something goes wrong, you have a big margin of error. Presto, no stress.
Old 17-06-2012, 00:34   #50

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

If not-yet-busted wants a more accurate comparison with cruising a sailboat around the world, it would be the cost of becoming an instrument- and commercially-rated pilot for a higher-performance private aircraft, then buying and maintaining an aircraft capable of circling the globe in reasonable comfort and safety. THAT won't be so cheap. And the silly plane still can't hove-to so you can get some sleep ... unless you have co-pilots on board and a big enough fuselage to rig a place to sleep ... THAT's even less cheap.
Old 17-06-2012, 00:51   #51

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Really guys?

1 round the world equipped and fitted out sailboat $40,000-$200,000
Lets say $100,000 to make it easy

Quote:
1 round the world plane ticket with Euro rail passes and intra-continental jumper flights $12,000.
x two is $24,000 (got to take the partner right?)
Cheap waterfront suite (to be comparable) $200 a night x 365 = $73000
Meals for 2 (no galley, have to eat out) 3 daily about $120 a day x 365 = $43800

Total for the year is $140,800 Whoops

No comparison really is there.

At least after a year of cruising I can sell the boat and get most of the money back.
Try selling your used plane tickets and accommodation
Old 17-06-2012, 00:54   #52
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Thank you! During a Philippine tyohoon we put two 747s in the hanger. Under the wings were packed in the training aircraft including twin turboprops. I have been doing aviation for 30 years and as I looked at the mother duck and her ducklings I refelected again that the 747 takes of at 800,000 pounds. It is an awesome human achievement and I am lucky to be in an industry that still leaves me in awe 30 years in.

In terms of travel ai spent over 210 nights on the road last year. Crossed the pacific 5 times and probably took another dozen rounds trips in the region.
Yes, the technology is great, much more clever than floating a log with some cotton sails....
And being at the business end of things can be a joy but at the other end, well not so much. 40 years back, it seemed nicer to fly than now. Not sure what changed, me or the rest of the world. It seems everyone can afford to fly now and while is probably a good thing, it has lowered the standards .

Add the post 911 bit and it just isn't an enjoyable experience like it once was. On good days, just OK; on bad days, almost unbearable. Whereas sailing on good days is a joy like no other and on bad days, still almost unbearable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Would I rather be sitting on the boat, hell yes! But ai can't deny that air travel is for getting stuff done. I call it time travel.
I see it the other way around. Flying is space travel - covering vast amounts of space in no time at all; Sailing is time travel - using vast amounts of time and hardly moving in space. Not my original idea, stole it from Richard Bach
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 04:02   #53
Armchair Bucketeer

When you go "foreign" it is not compulsory to stay in any Hotels, let alone 5 star ones.....they usually do have other accomdation available .

I remember once I stayed in a beach front resort (the full Palm trees and tropical whatevers) - so close to the beach and sea that the waves rolling in kept me awake at night. and they were not big waves ........ couple of bucks a night (electric and a Khazi!). I didn't make that mistake again .

Appreciate that the beach and sea thing may be a bit different for me (growing up on an island) than for some others - I lived 10 years or so litterally a stones throw from the beach. I never went on it, let alone into the sea! At the moment I live 10 minutes walk away from a beach - which over here is called "fuggin miles away" . I ain't been to that beach either .

But for $100k a year someone could even live here and have plenty of change left - and we have the 6th (I think) highest per Capita GDP in the world - with the cost of living to match (albeit is great when you can get away to spend ). With the figures quoted maybe some folks need to cut down on the crack habit.........

Just sayin'
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 04:52   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
When you go "foreign" it is not compulsory to stay in any Hotels, let alone 5 star ones.....they usually do have other accomdation available .
Try comparing like for like
If you have a less than 5 star boat then use similar accoms
If you have 5 star boat then surely we should compare the same accommodation.

The op said euro pass, so I figured that wasn't Thailand, Phillipines, Viet, Cambo or similar.
They tell me prices in Europe are a bit more expensive.
Old 17-06-2012, 05:13   #55
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Try comparing like for like
If you have a less than 5 star boat then use similar accoms
If you have 5 star boat then surely we should compare the same accommodation.

The op said euro pass, so I figured that wasn't Thailand, Phillipines, Viet, Cambo or similar.
They tell me prices in Europe are a bit more expensive.
I don't think anyone here has a boat that compares to a 5 star hotel! - easy way to tell is if you have staff (excluding crew).

To be honest I wasn't thinking tin shack style and also was thinking bigger than the floorplan of even a "big" private boat, which in reality has less room than even a small 1 bed condo / apartment / timeshare.

Of course there are places in the world (both Europe and the 3rd world) where that $100k a year budget would be peanuts - hell, some places that a week would be peanuts . The trick is to choose how and where you spend your money wisely - that way the "value" comes.....you don't always need to spend lots of cash to live like a King, that simplistic approach is what keeps the Nouveau Riche (Moneyed Chavs ) happy .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 06:00   #56
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

I haven't found too many hotels that will let me keep my fish in their freezer. Also I have found most hotel staff object to me wandering in the lobby nude.
Old 17-06-2012, 14:59   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I don't think anyone here has a boat that compares to a 5 star hotel! -
Your the one who brought up 5 star
Even 3 star hotel suites with water views, lounge, pool cost around $200 a night, 5 star costs a lot more
Quote:
easy way to tell is if you have staff (excluding crew).
Even no star hotels have staff

Quote:
Of course there are places in the world (both Europe and the 3rd world) where that $100k a year budget would be peanuts
Dont forget the water-views
Kitchen
Pool
And it needs to be a hotel because I will be moving every week

Comparing like for like remember
Old 17-06-2012, 15:13   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

What about the thread about not trusting engines? Keep the sail covers off and the anchor ready? Now Ben you wanna fly around the world?

make it a glider
Old 17-06-2012, 19:23   #59

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I haven't found too many hotels that will let me keep my fish in their freezer. Also I have found most hotel staff object to me wandering in the lobby nude.
They get really upset about that for some reason, Must be prudes.
Old 17-06-2012, 19:42   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Bundaberg Queensland/Lake Bolac Victoria, Australia
Boat: 45ft Ketch

And let's not forget that delicious mouth watering airline cuisine.............mmmmm puréed food....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: