Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-08-2010, 20:33   #1

Escapism: Perhaps Not the Most Practical Word

Is it common to view sailing as an escape? And I don't mean a temporary escape, but perhaps a more permanent one. I am in my mid 20's and am at a crossroads in my life. I did very well in university, earning both a BA and MA from a prestigious university in the the northern United States. And then, after graduation - following a year within the school system - I fell apart. I withdrew from an academic program, been strung along by Navy OCS, no employment and broke up with my girlfriend. The list goes on.

And so here I am - becoming increasingly involved in sailing with a lead on an excellent caribbean vessel.

After outfitting the boat, I have half-a-mind to sail off to the Caribbean and start my life over. I know it's more difficult than simply saying "I want a do over," but I might as well try. Other than this, I don't know what else. Is this possible? Can an American citizen with a sizable kitty begin fresh? Perhaps this is romanticizing the whole "off to the wild blue" notion, but I haven't heard otherwise. I want the adventure, I want the experience.

Perhaps this is just a way of seeing if anyone else on these forums has felt similarly and what they have done about it.

Old 15-08-2010, 21:01   #2
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Welcome to CF Marmubon.

You are asking a very deep philosophical question in your first post which does not lend itself to a quick answer. …(I hope they get easier…lol)

In my opinion, every step is a crossroad and you can make them large or small, tentative or bold, forwards or backwards depending on your mindset (or “half-mind) at the moment.

Escapism implies you are running away from something….best to identify first what that is and do not bring that psychological baggage along with you.

Sailing is not one dimensional or the panacea for what disenchants you presently.

It can be a sport, a weekend hobby, an expensive mistress or a test of ones determination to sail away from the confines of Society’s (read US in your case) fabricated breakwaters.

Like anything else where you plan for the outcome to become a successful and happy experience…. It must be based on inherently positive reasons within your own psyche, so that any actual shortcomings are not labeled as a wrong lifestyle choice on your part…. but only a set-back.

Good luck sorting it out

Old 15-08-2010, 21:24   #3

Boat: Island Packet Cat, 35 ft, Knotty Cat
You're young, you have an education (which can never be taken from you), and you want to do something that's not the 'norm'.
So do it.
Really.
Sailing isn't necessarily an escape; for some it's a way of life. I could go on ad nauseum about how just existing on a boat and living day to day is an adventure in itself but I won't, you need to find this out for yourself. And if it doesn't work out, you sell your boat and do something else!
I'm 50 years old and finally figuring out that not everyone's cut out to live in suburbia!!
Happy Sailing!
Hans and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 21:33   #4
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
marmubon - it's not uncommon for people of your age or a bit older to want to take time out or reinvent themselves. Just like in finance, you are at a great point in life where taking risks such as going sailing is quite fine and maybe even necessary to get ahead. If you find something works for you on the road then great, or if you find you want to return, there is plenty of opportunity for a younger person to reintegrate themselves - permanently or even just for a while.

Have the money and the boat, then get out there.
Old 15-08-2010, 22:22   #5

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Since you education is out of the way, you have some money, the job market is not the greatest, and it's going time for the economy to turn around, I say why not see what's on the other side of the mountain. Going off on an adventure doesn't mean you have to do that forever, just as long as it works for you. One things for sure though, if you never take off you'll always wonder what it would have been like.
Old 15-08-2010, 23:54   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
"both a BA and MA "

You might get bored. You may need to do something additionally that keeps your brain ticking.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 03:01   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
A BA and MA from a prestigious school, no student debts (presumably) and a "sizeable" kitty?

Unless you mean you have a large cat I vote you take some time off. You deserve it.

Having no idea of your profession or aspirations a year off to collect yourself won't hurt your career at all.

Go the islands, get a boat, meet some girls and if you get bored come on back and get a job.

Wish I was in your predicament.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 03:54   #8

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Go the islands, get a boat, meet some girls and if you get bored........
You've got to be kiddin'........... right??

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 06:43   #9
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hmmm..... sizable kitty, you say?
Got a phone number? And photo of course.... (but don't tell my husband).

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 08:08   #10

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
It's only an escape if you don't bring your problems with you. I was reading one 42yo woman's blog with envy. She was able to retire early, got a great boat, was living what to me seemed the perfect, stress-free life.

However, the posts started detoriating as she let the same people and problems she left behind eat away at her. As of last week she was giving the boat away and planning suicide.

So yeah, there's no escaping your inner turmoil. As for the rat race, that's no problem.
Old 16-08-2010, 08:45   #11
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
"both a BA and MA "

You might get bored. You may need to do something additionally that keeps your brain ticking.
HAM Radio and chess
Old 16-08-2010, 09:44   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Go the islands, get a boat, meet some girls and if you get bored come on back and get a job.

Wish I was in your predicament.

You ARE in his predicament! You live on an island in the tropics! You do have a boat! You even better him by having a girlfriend (well, at last count). What more could you want?

Quote:
HAM Radio and chess
Maybe, for me, more like rock radio and draughts

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 10:15   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Why the hell not? I'll go with you...
Old 16-08-2010, 10:26   #14

Boat: 1984 CS 36
i've been thinking about the "escapism" idea alot since the rich people thread...

i think there's a large and important difference between sailing away to escape your problems (which will probably never work as people here have pointed out) and sailing off in search of something more meaningful or fulfilling. i'm guessing you'll have much more success with the latter.

you said "I want the adventure, I want the experience." that to me is a search, not an escape.

i for one will be interested not only to see how your plans form, but what sorts of insights you come across

good luck.
Old 16-08-2010, 10:27   #15

I'm here. Reading all of the replies. Y'all are great, really a standout crowd. I'll write more later today. Really, thanks for this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: