Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 13:26   #226

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
It's generally the land that sinks a boat.
True for the boat but not generally the crew.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 13:30   #227
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Nahhh, is not the land, is the fools who don't prepare well for the conditions, or its to expensive or to complex, my ex CSY survive Lenny, Gonzalo, Georges, Earl, I dodge Luis, thx god.... get your numbers straight and count how many cruising boats dodge Canes at sea please.... and how many are missing in the attempt.
You appear to have the facts at your finger tips. Care to enlighten us?
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 13:36   #228

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
True for the boat but not generally the crew.
Exactly, but you know what, is really funy to expect a beautiful summer sailing seasong in hurricane alley and don't pretend prepare the boat for a storm, like late booking in a boatyard when the yard is full ,,but ohh well a hurricane mooring can be enough, or I don't want to pull my mast , or jesus my whole season straped to the ground , nah nah...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 13:43   #229

Quote:
You appear to have the facts at your finger tips. Care to enlighten us?
I don't know how many , I know for sure a good bunch who just vanish, we loose a friend in Hugo, I have no idea who and where survive a big Hurricane in the navigable side of a storm, that's why I ask you...
Old 10-10-2016, 13:57   #230
cruiser

Well, that sounds like scientifically and statistically based fact.
Old 10-10-2016, 14:00   #231

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Seaman or land lubber 50/50
Not hardly. More like 01/99. Maybe you are the only real seaman on here Cappy.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 14:37   #232

Boat: Chamberlin 12.4m

Quote:
Seaman or land lubber 50/50
And calling people fools for staying put. Maybe while you were making money out of them? Sounds like you had a great excuse not to go hey. I'm sure you'll get a chance to prove me wrong one day.Ill be watching this summer. The met guys reckon more cyclones than normal.
Oh, one more reason to be cautious. What about the folks who have to go out in appalling conditions to rescue someone who got it wrong?

Right. I've got my helmet on. Fire away😜
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 14:45   #233
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaskip View Post
And calling people fools for staying put. Maybe while you were making money out of them? Sounds like you had a great excuse not to go hey. I'm sure you'll get a chance to prove me wrong one day.Ill be watching this summer. The met guys reckon more cyclones than normal.
Oh, one more reason to be cautious. What about the folks who have to go out in appalling conditions to rescue someone who got it wrong?

Right. I've got my helmet on. Fire away😜
You do me a grave disservice. We actually lost money due to the fact that most were uninsured and didn't have the money to pay for salvage but somebody had to clean up the mess. At the end of the day we lost 60% of our client base and had to re-invent our market because of the fools who chose to stay in the path of a Cat 5 storm. But feel free to continue writing ill informed untruths about me.
Old 10-10-2016, 14:51   #234

Haaaa, I get it, so all this fuzzzz is about personal interest...
Old 10-10-2016, 15:38   #235

Quote:
You do me a grave disservice. We actually lost money due to the fact that most were uninsured and didn't have the money to pay for salvage but somebody had to clean up the mess. At the end of the day we lost 60% of our client base and had to re-invent our market because of the fools who chose to stay in the path of a Cat 5 storm. But feel free to continue writing ill informed untruths about me.
I don't need to write another thing. I wasn't there. I'll think the best of my fellow human beings , and assume you helped a bunch of people some of whom had just lost everything. But calling them fools for making a mistake ( in your estimation) and not taking their crews and boats to sea, sounds much too nasty to me.
Good luck to you.
Old 10-10-2016, 15:57   #236
cruiser

Calling people fools is possibly less offensive than insinuating I was being predatory with cyclone victims. Reprehensible accusation.
Old 10-10-2016, 16:10   #237

Fair enough. I retract and apologise.
Old 10-10-2016, 16:33   #238

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
How many hurricanes have curved around and come back south in the last 20 years? I'm willing to bet VERY few.

That portion of the forecast was just way off base. Would have had to have been a really powerful driving force coming across the US, or a very powerful high out in the Atlantic to have steered it that way.

If I had had my nice new 65' cat in St Augustine I'd have already had a proper parachute anchor system onboard, and I would have tried to recruit one other person to go with me to as far east as I could have made it. Then set the anchor before things got really bad, and rode the storm out pointed into the storm. I would have wanted to be in open ocean with no obstacles around as opposed to trying to fend off god only knows what at an inshore location.

If you bother to read those MULTIPLE successful accounts of vessels surviving horrendous conditions while tethered to a proper sea anchor then you have to come away believing it really is doable and good seamanship.

I spent 2 days in 65-70 knots of wind (an intense low pressure system) between Va beach and Bermuda in a winter time Atlantic storm,...some running with the storm and finely some hove-to. The most comfortable time was hove to, And I think it might have been even more comfortable anchored bow to the sea.

PS: The Navy doesn't send its ships to sea in big approaching storms for nothing.....get them away from the docks and other obstacles, and grounding.
Yes. I am 100% with you on what you say.

To curve I said, not to make a loop. I mean - they all curve rather than go in a straight line. Curved tracks are always more difficult to predict and the prediction always have bigger expected error than for the portion before and after re-curving.

Navy does and navy has a good reason - big power ships that can cover good miles even in adverse conditions.

Sailors in small boats with just aux power should think twice before they act as navy does!

Nice exchange here I am not sure why so many posters get into that ugly fighting mode. There is nothing to fight about.

Big hug,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 16:35   #239
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Have not read all the posts once it started to devolve....

But to answer the OP....it all depends on your location.

For example in the Philippines, you only need to head south below 10° to escape a Typhoon.....which generally approaches from the East.

So if you are in a bad and unprotected location..... general advice would be to head south.

That is why Borneo is a good place to wait out the Typhoon season.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 17:47   #240

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
With a early departure plenty of time, Chub Cay in the Berry,s , pass the cut to the bank and gun cay, I cross the bank in nighttime on a couple of occasions with full moon and fine weather , not recommended if you don't know well the cut entrance....
Can be a overnight in Chub Cay , cross the bank early morning and if you still have sun cross the cut entrance in gun cay and voila, the gulf stream.... Ohh and I forgot to mention out of topic , I spend one of the most beautiful nights in my life anchored in the middle of the bank....
George Town to Chub Cay must be about 180 miles, in the same direction the hurricane is going, at twice your speed. Kinda goes against the prevailing wisdom, but it's a valid strategy done early enough. I'd bet a full moon and fine weather don't normally precede a hurricane.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head