Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2008, 17:36   #1

Boat: 15' wetboat named 'the boat'
Embarassing confession...

I don't eat fish. My husband has asked me to try to overcome my aversion. He has visions of catching dinner once we get the 'real' boat. I was partially raised in Charleston, SC, so it isn't like I didn't have a lot of exposure to fish. A LOT of exposure...like my mother tried to make me eat it til I was old enough to argue my way out of it. Oddly, I like shark and tuna and some shrimp. A friend was telling me I should try mahi mahi cause it isn't super fishy tasting.

Do you guys have any suggestions for ways to ease myself into fish eating? Or should I just stick with chicken and let my husband catch his own dinner??
isbolick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 18:18   #2

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Except for salmon and tuna, I don't care for it either.

I use hot sauce.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 18:25   #3

I will eat fish, hell I will eat about anything but it isn't my 1st choice and I fish a lot. My tastes run to any type of shellfish or crustacean. Oysters, clams, crab, lobster crawfish, etc, etc..

To answer your question though. Filet completely, make sure you go back and cut out all the dark meat. The fresher you eat it the better.

If you are grilling it, leave the skin on, put skin down on grill and cook it.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 18:51   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
<snip>
If you are grilling it, leave the skin on, put skin down on grill and cook it.
That way, when you're finished eating and have to expend a lot of elbow grease trying to clean the burned-on skin off your grill, you'll have an excuse to say, "I'm never gonna eat !@#$% fish again!"

TaoJones
Old 16-06-2008, 19:02   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
My wife will eat Tuna but only if it comes from a can. Aside from that she refers to it all as "stinky fish". People are as you find them.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 22:25   #6

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I like all fish and seafood, in fact I like all food...I think the only thing I don't like is poi.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 23:33   #7

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Start of with a firm fleshed white fish that doesn't have a strong "fish" flavour. Around here, I would suggest blue-eye trevalla or stripey trumpeter, but I wouldn't know what to recommend elsewhere on the planet. Initially, try serving it cooked simply (grilled maybe), but with a fairly strong flavoured sauce that you know you like.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 00:41   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
isbolick - I agree with Weyalan. Stick with "fish" steaks - grilled.

Tuna, mahi-mahi (also called dorado and dolphin fish), swordfish and marlin are all good eating. You might try grilled with teriyaki glaze.

For small fish. Stick to white flatfish like dory. I don't eat any fish with it's mouth on the bottom, which is a good indicator of where it feeds.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 01:53   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
A fish fresh out of the ocean is the best eating anywhere. Just slice it thin and eat with soy sauce and wasabi paste, ono!!!!! Our favorite for grilling is Ahi (yellow fin) or Albacore Tuna marinated in equal parts soy sauce, olive oil and Red wind vinegar.

Biggest problem with fish, is it's often overcooked. Turns dry and leathery if just a little too done.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 02:40   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Wait until the fish is CAUGHT (it may never happen), then try it. If you don't like it and are over 18, eat chicken - hubby gets twice as much fish - win win situation
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 05:48   #11
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Good suggestions above. Grilled, it should be cooked medium to medium rare. Cooked that way, Tuna that way is more like an amazingly tender veal. No fish texture and no fishy taste. Salmon is wonderful if cooked that way, as well. My Dad quotes a chef he talked to as saying that the best way to cook fish is to give it to a slow waiter in a hot kitchen.

My real passion lies with roverhi, though. I hate to see good sushi ruined by cooking it. But the best cooked fish is obtained by starting with the freshest, best grade of fish you can buy. When I grill tuna steaks, I buy sushi grade tuna. At $20-$30/lb it ain't cheap, but it sure does make a difference.

You want a good two-zone fire in the grill. Times, of course depend on the fire. Sear it on the hot side of the grill for 10-15 seconds. Then move it to the medium side. For a 1 inch thick steak, NO MORE than 2 minutes per side. 1 minute per side is more like it for me. Then, important, let it sit on a pre-warmed plate for at least another 2-3 minutes before eating. At 1-2 minutes cooking per side, the center will still be cool and uncooked. During the 2-3 minutes on the plate, the center will lightly cook just right. A soy based dipping sauce can be used to good effect. Something like soy sauce, mirin and rice wine vinegar. Go easy on the mirin. It's sweet. Just don't spoil a good tuna steak by covering it up with Teriyaki sauce.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 06:53   #12

Give the truly fresh fish a try. Most of the stuff you buy is relatively old and often has been sitting around for a couple of days or been frozen. I find it to be a lot less 'fishy' smelling and tasting when you take it out of the ocean and eat it within a couple of hours. Lightly poached, or steamed, is my favorite. With a little lemon dill sauce.
It's like venison, usually the people who think they don't like it just had it prepared poorly or the meat was not properly soaked, cured, and handled.
I'm getting hungry just typeing this stuff!
Old 17-06-2008, 07:05   #13

Boat: Privilege 37
Make a fish and egg fix up - White fish, white sauce, grated cheddar cheese, sliced up boiled egg, and fresh peas. All cooked into a glutinous mess. Served with boiled or baked potatoes or french fries - very tasty.
Old 17-06-2008, 07:25   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Good tasting fish must either be: FRESH - as in caught TODAY, or FLASH FROZEN. Most sushi fish is actually frozen as soon as it can be from when it was caught - we're talking MINUTES. When you buy fish at the store, ask for it STILL FROZEN. That way, you know it's going to be good when thawed. Fish in the seafood case can be sitting for days...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 09:49   #15

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Fishspearit said it exactly. If it tastes or smells "fishy" it's because it's not fresh.

While I was cruising, I'd spear a fish in the morning for dinner that day. If I wanted another fish the next day, I'd go shoot another fish that day.
If it sits more than one day in the fridge, you can tell the difference.

I wasn't much of an adventurous cook, so I'd just squeeze a half a lime over the filet and cook it for a short time on the bbq. If it was a large fish or certain others which were easy to skin, I'd cook the filet skinless.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote