Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-06-2008, 11:16   #16

Boat: 34' 1973 Grampian ketch
If it tastes like fish it aint fresh!
after a few decades of being a comercial fiserman i opened a market with that motto.
Youd be surprised how many pepole didntt like fish that turned out to only know fish from the super market OR recreational fishermen!
Most dont know how to care for thier catch hence the fishy taste/smell.
invest in a good cooler- fill it 1/2 ice and just enough sea water to wet ice- put still flopping fish in it it will stop wiggiling.
Never Ever let a dead fish get warm.

Old 17-06-2008, 11:46   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

I come from a small island and unsurprisingly fish is a big thing here. And from what I understand - also really good stuff.

But me not overkeen

Ok not strictly true. I like Tuna from a can And surprisingly also fish soup. But Shellfish is a wayyyyyy bigger no no for me - same as eating (underwater) bugs

It's a real p#sser cos' I would really love to tuck into a Seafood platter for 2 piled high with everything under the sun (water?!).....or good old fashioned Moules and Chips........but not really what I like

And the funny thing is that did a lot of mackerel fishing as a kid from the boat and quite happy to gut 'em, cook 'em and then eat 'em, but now.....???

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 16:25   #18

I regularly have fresh fish, never freeze it. It is fine on the second day ie after say up to 32 hours, if on ice and then in gladwrap in the frig.
I agree that there should be no fish smell or it is not fresh.
The other point is that there is a major difference if it is killed instantly with an iki. Often my fishing companion will miss the brain and the fish is still alive an hour or two later. You can tell the difference.
I also prefer to break a gill and let it bleed, which gives a whiter flesh.
Cooking it properly is quite difficult. You want to avoid overcooking but just have the final fraction cooked on the plate. (Tuna and other seared fish excepted.) Usually for a fillet this will be 45-60 sec per side, but this depends on heat and thickness. You can watch until the whitened part reaches the almost centre then turn. I prefer canola or olive oil with a minimal hint of butter.
Most recipes give much longer times which is wrong.
There is also a catch to grilling or barbecuing whole fish because the thickness varies. I prefer to leave the skin and scales on because it acts as a seal and then peels off in one piece.
I will never have fish in a restaurant because it is inevitably disappointing - usually not very fresh and overcooked. In fact at best it is likely to be some days old since the boats don't come in every night.
My sister was like the OP and didn't like fish until she had it really fresh and not overcooked.
Old 18-06-2008, 00:12   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Before I go fishing, I make Ice from Saltwater. It takes a lot longer to freeze than freshwater. But it means you end up with colder ice. I place that in the bottom of a chilly bin (esky for some) and the fish get put in straight off the hook. I also kill the fish first. I don't like the idea of them struggling for air. Yeah call me a softy.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 16:38   #20

Don't eat fish.

They swim where they poo.
Old 19-06-2008, 18:14   #21

I grew up in MD and, although I enjoyed crabbing as a younster, I didn't eat my first crab until in my 20s. Somehow the sight and sounds of them trying to claw their way out of the steaming pot completely turned me off wanting to eat them. As an adult, I was invited on a 3-day sailing adverture and wanted to participate with the others in eating crabs at the Crab Claw restaurant in St. Michaels. So I skipped lunch that day and had a few drinks before dinner. As a result I was hungry and just a little tipsy enough to eat my first crab. I've been addicted ever since.
Old 19-06-2008, 19:23   #22

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Try some wahoo or cobia steaks sprinkled with blackening seasoning, don't blacken but and grill or panfried in a bit of butter. Don't overcook! squeeze a bit of key lime on it. If you don't like that then give up and stick with the steak or chicken. More fish for the rest of us!
Bon apetit!
Steve
Old 19-06-2008, 21:35   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I know people who only eat

fish in steak or filet form...but are dead set against eating it with bones.

Try foil wrapping some filet with some sliced lemon and a little pepper.

bake it until opaque 20 minutes @ 350 I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by isbolick View Post
I don't eat fish. My husband has asked me to try to overcome my aversion. He has visions of catching dinner once we get the 'real' boat. I was partially raised in Charleston, SC, so it isn't like I didn't have a lot of exposure to fish. A LOT of exposure...like my mother tried to make me eat it til I was old enough to argue my way out of it. Oddly, I like shark and tuna and some shrimp. A friend was telling me I should try mahi mahi cause it isn't super fishy tasting.

Do you guys have any suggestions for ways to ease myself into fish eating? Or should I just stick with chicken and let my husband catch his own dinner??
Old 19-06-2008, 23:25   #24

Boat: 44 footer
Take Mahi Mahi, and wrap a strip of maple pepper bacon around it. Then set it on the grill... cook it till the bacon is done. A little bit tougher than how I cook mahi alone, but golly its good.

Also, rockfish, chilean seabass, and black seabass are about the best eating fish I've had. White and flaky, but doesn't taste like "fish."

My favorite however, deep fried bluefish. Small ones, cooked for dinner the same afternoon that they were caught. Cut them in cubes and deep fry... hush puppies too.

All of a sudden I'm starving.
Old 21-06-2008, 13:32   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Never been a great fan of whitefish unless it is supplemented. Tended to manage without except for shell fish (especially scollops) until recently.

Howevr I am now eating fish up to 3 times a week - cause salmon is cheaper than meat in Norway!
Old 21-06-2008, 15:36   #26
Den

Boat: Dreaming of one day owning a 25-30 footer.....
I was born on the East Coast. People here think it strange when they hear that and also hear that I generally HATE fish! HAHA. They also think we all grew up on "fishing boats" and "squid jigging" etc.

um. Yeah sure we did!

The only "fishing" I did was walking 20 miles into the bush with my Dad to "the ponds" like any kid here in Ontario would!

Mostly. I hate Salt fish. Can't stand the stuff. Probably comes from having to choke it down as a kid.

I'm not a fish fan although I DO love fried trout freshly caught. Love shrimp and other seafoods but in general still don't like fish though as an adult I am willing to try.

If you don't like it, you don't like it. Period. I know my tastes have changed over the decades but what I don't like I don't like and I highly doubt I'll EVER like salt cod!

"Life's a gas."-The Ramones.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 07:19   #27

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
When tuna fishing, we had to catch small bait fish to throw to the tuna to keep them biting. Invariably a fair few of these baitfish would get gilled in the net. We used to pull there heads off to get them out of the net and then eat them straight away, or sometimes would grill them over some sweat and sour bread with home grown peppers and garlic. Sometimes we would pickle them in vinegar, onion, and dill, and snack on them while up in the crows nest while spotting for tuna. Very fresh Sashimi skipjack tuna went down well also
Old 26-06-2008, 10:54   #28

Old trick I'd learned when trying to eat catfish**. Try a mustard dip before breading. Choose your favorite mustard, thin it if necessary to provide a thin coating before dipping it in your dry breading material. It seems to cover up almost any fish flavor that remains. Give it a go and you might be surprised. Even works with the .99 cent bottle of Frenches yellow.

Don't give up,
CQ

**(which I will only eat if more than a week has passed without eating anything else and I'm starting to get weak)
Old 26-06-2008, 14:06   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
If all else fails, create a light batter, but using a bit of beer (only a bit!!!! - drink the rest) and deep fry. If you use a tempura technique to make the batter light and build up a reasonably thick crusty coating, the end result is that the fish actuall cooks in its own steam and is really good. The contrast in taste sensation between the crispy batter and the succulent fish makes this a true delight.

soggy batter is a disaster!

Best eaten with french fries
Old 26-06-2008, 15:14   #30
Den

Boat: Dreaming of one day owning a 25-30 footer.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
(only a bit!!!! - drink the rest)
Maybe it's just the way it's written, but this made me laugh out loud!! Thanks!

"Life's a gas."-The Ramones.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: