Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2012, 17:17   #31

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Don't You Wish That...

[QUOTE=haiqu;1021199]Multi-quoting is simple but needs some organization before starting.

1. Open a second browser window at the same page so you can copy/paste to the editor.
2. Embed each quote inside the proper tags.

The opening tag will look like this: [QUOTE=David_Old_Jersey;1020672]

It gives the author of the original and the message number.

The simpler version is just:
Quote:

The closing quote is the word /QUOTE inside square brackets. (But if I type that, it will look weird because the above quotes will be closed.)

Rob
Sure.

But some are in "white" and some are in the original quote blue. From the true masters I suppose.

If I cut and paste from the first to the second browser it does not have the poster in it.

Ack!
Old 25-08-2012, 17:20   #32

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
People would stick to the OP and not some later question like "how to multi quote"

but for the sake of some decent thread drift why don't you use the multi quote button (just to the right of the quote button) rather than hold the computer screen upside down.

So while holding my hand, please press the multi quote button on every post you want to quote except for the last one where you press the quote button instead. Hey presto, you have now learnt how to multi quote.

Now if this works for you, please stop holding my hand and press the thanks button on this post instead.

Sorry about all the paragraphs .
Yea, you say.......
OK, I'll try it ............sometime.

PS Best post of the week.
Old 25-08-2012, 17:28   #33
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Multi-quoting is simple but needs some organization before starting.

1. Open a second browser window at the same page so you can copy/paste to the editor.
2. Embed each quote inside the proper tags.

The opening tag will look like this:

QUOTE=David_Old_Jersey;1020672]

It gives the author of the original and the message number.

The simpler version is just:

Sure.

But some are in "white" and some are in the original quote blue. From the true masters I suppose.

If I cut and paste from the first to the second browser it does not have the poster in it.

Ack!
Quote:
Yea, you say.......
OK, I'll try it ............sometime.

PS Best post of the week.

Thanks
See - it works
Next week we will move onto altering / editing the quoted bits
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 17:31   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
people would stick to the OP and not some later question like how to multi quote but for the sake of some decent thread drift why don't you use the multi quote button just to the right of the quote button rather than hold the computer screen upside down so while holding my hand please press the multi quote button on every post you want to quote except for the last one where you press the quote button instead hey presto you have now learnt how to multi quote now if this works for you please stop holding my hand and press the thanks button on this post instead sorry about all the paragraphs .
fixed that annoying punctuation thingie for ya...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 17:34   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Although I have seen posts well into a thread that addressed the topic of the thread and not the content of the thread.

Now, back on topic.

Don't you wish that ... people would learn how to do a proper search before posting questions that have already been answered many times.

Quote:
Nope.

What is stupid is when someone starts a new thread without searching...

There is noting wrong with asking questinos (of course, that is why there are discussion forums). But how about when someone comes along and posts something like "Should I carry a gun to defend my boat while cruinsg the ICW?" The question is not even the problem it is that you know who is going to answer, and what they are going to say in advance.

And what is this about cruinsg any way. A new club?

Quote:
Sorry guys if this has been asked here before, but after an hour of searching this forum, I just couldn't find the definitive answer I was looking for. Here are the "givens" in my situation:

HaHa.

If you do a search you will find it has been done before.

NOtice how the poster is not there. Anononomitity (ore whatever) for them. (accidental though)
Old 25-08-2012, 17:41   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
fixed that annoying punctuation thingie for ya...
Hey thanks, now howdidya do that?????????
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-08-2012, 17:43   #37

Quote:
See - it works
Next week we will move onto altering / editing the quoted bits
When I quote it looks like this.

I have seen it look like this -

QUOTE=Wotname;1021645]See - it works
Next week we will move onto altering / editing the quoted bits [/QUOTE

Argg.

Part two I know about. It is like typing, sort of, only with a mindset your mama would use a wooden spoon on.
Old 25-08-2012, 17:46   #38

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
Although I have seen posts well into a thread that addressed the topic of the thread and not the content of the thread.

Now, back on topic.

Don't you wish that ... people would learn how to do a proper search before posting questions that have already been answered many times.

Quote:
Nope.

What is stupid is when someone starts a new thread without searching...

There is noting wrong with asking questinos (of course, that is why there are discussion forums). But how about when someone comes along and posts something like "Should I carry a gun to defend my boat while cruinsg the ICW?" The question is not even the problem it is that you know who is going to answer, and what they are going to say in advance.

Quote:
Sorry guys if this has been asked here before, but after an hour of searching this forum, I just couldn't find the definitive answer I was looking for. Here are the "givens" in my situation:

HaHa.

If you do a search you will find it has been done before.

NOtice how the poster is not there. Anononomitity (ore whatever) for them. (accidental though)
You are the man
Old 25-08-2012, 17:49   #39

people wouldn't get involved in their own ping pong posts in the the middle of the thread;especially when it has nothing to do with the OP's topic
Old 25-08-2012, 17:50   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hey thanks, now howdidya do that?????????
Hold my hand and I'll tell ya' -

It's the Internet Explorer 12.0 beta "auto-unpunctuate" key...
Old 25-08-2012, 18:05   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Quote:
Don't You Wish That... People would read threads before posting. Assuming that most people on CF can read that is...People would learn how to quote a few lines properly...[QUOE=DeepFrz;102059] ple would learn how to quote a few line perly.../UOTE] I don't see the problem. Hahahaha...exactly. Come on now you have been here a while and know that after around the 12 post the replies are about the posts prior, not the asked about topic question. Yes, I know that Don. Sometimes even by the fourth post. No, I don't think that the early Rocnas (Canadian and NZ made) should be replaced. They're fine as is. My pet peeve is people who quote a hundred lines of text, only to comment on one small point or utter, "Yeah, I think so too." Grrrr.The "Cruising on $500 a month" thread is a case in point. Rob Although I have seen posts well into a thread that addressed the topic of the thread and not the content of the thread. Now, back on topic. Don't you wish that ... people would learn how to do a proper search before posting questions that have already been answered many times. what about post whoring with many quotes instead of editing..... Indeed. I need someone to show me (lead me by the hand ) step by step how to multi quote. I think it would be cool to whack-a-bash a whole bunch of stuff in one post instead of adressing each post individually.No, because I forgot what the answer was and need to be reminded. There are two plausible arguments here; first being that there could be someone out there who didn't answer the first time around and will not go look for an old thread just because they feel they may be able to add to a topic that may or may not have been discussed previously. Then there’s also the probability of being flamed for resurfacing a retired topic Starting a new thread on a previously discussed topic can bring new blood into an old topic. The second argument is that sometime threads will need to be repeated otherwise there will be no new threads and that would be a forum killer. As hard as it is to believe the amount of topics that can be discussed here is finite unless forum drift will be tolerated. I have seen some fairly rude responses to posts requesting previously discussed topics, I fail to understand wYes, couldnt aggree more....What was the question? hy these people don't ignore the post and move on. I don't agree
Quote:
d all of you are wrong. Cuz I went sailing in 1963 when wind wasn't even invented yet...Ooooh, multi-quoting master! It's pretty hard to read through dozens of posts... especially when many of them are off topic and some are heated arguments on "who knows best". I just read the original if it's my first look and go from there.... OK here is a real wish...I wish some folks would spend a little time "editing" their posts. Why say in 5000 words what can be said in 50? Most of these posts I scan or TLDR (Too long didn't read) especially when...People don't put in paragraph breaks. When I see a 1000 word post with no line breaks I cringe. Maybe great things to say but almost unreadable.^^^^^| | | | |... See? Carriage return + line space. Two little key presses for sanity's sake... yeah, me too. I've been coming here for 3 years and not figured that one out yet Multi-quoting is simple but needs some organization before starting.1. Open a second browser window at the same page so you can copy/paste to the editor.2. Embed each quote inside the proper tags.COLOR=black]The opening tag will look like this: [QOTE=David_Old_Jersey;1020672[/CLOR]It gives the author of the original and the message number.The simpler version is just: [QUOT]The closing quote is the word /QUTE inside square brackets. (But if I type that, it will look weird because the above quotes will be closed.)Rob I think it involves something to do with turning your computer upside down..........If i turn my computer upside down it's knickers fall off.Coops. People would stick to the OP and not some later question like "how to multi quote"but for the sake of some decent thread drift why don't you use the multi quote button (just to the right of the quote button) rather than hold the computer screen upside down.So while holding my hand, please press the multi quote button on every post you want to quote except for the last one where you press the quote button instead. Hey presto, you have now learnt how to multi quote.Now if this works for you, please stop holding my hand and press the thanks button on this post instead.Sorry about all the paragraphs . That only works if you're multiquoting from the one message. The method I described earlier allows multiquotes from multiple messages. You'll also find many forums that don't have a multiquote button.Turning your monitor upside down only works in the southern hemisphere, and may cause problems with your compass.Rob I think we may be looking at a different internet In mine (CF excepting) most don't have any knickers to fall off . The methodical organized person in me goes bonkers when I see posts that ignore the OP or even the slight normal thread drift that occurs (read the one I started about getting tot he top of the mast of a fractional rig).The humorist in me who subscribes to The Darwin Awards and was a Far Side cartoon fan enjoys reading some of the more "eccentric" responses.Bill [UOTE=haiqu;1021199]Multi-quoting is simple but needs some organization before starting.[/QUOE][QOTE=haiqu;1021199]1. Open a second browser window at the same page so you can copy/paste to the editor.2. Embed each quote inside the propr tags.The opening tag will look like thQOTE=David_Old_Jersey;1020672It gives the author of the original and the message number.The simpler version is just: Sure.But some are in "white" and some are in the original quote blue. From the true masters I suppose.If I cut and paste from the first to the second browser it does not have the poster in it.Ack! Yea, you say.......OK, I'll try it ............sometime.PS Best post of the week. See - it works Next week we will move onto altering / editing the quoted bits fixed that annoying punctuation thingie for ya... Nope.What is stupid is when someone starts a new thread without searching... There is noting wrong with asking questinos (of course, that is why there are discussion forums). But how about when someone comes along and posts something like "Should I carry a gun to defend my boat while cruinsg the ICW?" The question is not even the problem it is that you know who is going to answer, and what they are going to say in advance. And what is this about cruinsg any way. A new club?Quote:Sorry guys if this has been asked here before, but after an hour of searching this forum, I just couldn't find the definitive answer I was looking for. Here are the "givens" in my situation:HaHa.If you do a search you will find it has been done before.NOtice how the poster is not there. Anononomitity (ore whatever) for them. (accidental though)Hey thanks, now howdidya do that????????? When I quote it looks like this.I have seen it look like this - QUOT=Wotname;1021645See - it works Next week we will move onto altering / editing the quoted bits [/QUOEArgg.Part two I know about. It is like typing, sort of, only with a mindset your mama would use a wooden spoon on.
You are the man people wouldn't get involved in their own ping pong posts in the the middle of the thread;especially when it has nothing to do with the OP's topic Hold my hand and I'll tell ya' - It's the Internet Explorer 12.0 beta "auto-unpunctuate" key...

For ease of future reference I have distilled all the posts in this thread into one paragraph Maybe the Mods could make it a sticky? and we could refer Newbies to it - could really help them

Tommorow I am going to organise the words alphabettically
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 18:12   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Said...

A whole boatload of stuff I didn't have the patience to read...
TLDR

(This bit added cuz TLDR is too short a post for CF to handle... Maybe CF needs a bot to say - "Sorry, Your post is too long to have any chance of being interesting. Please be more succinct and exciting and try again..loser)
Old 25-08-2012, 18:21   #43
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
TLDR

(This bit added cuz TLDR is too short a post for CF to handle... Maybe CF needs a bot to say - "Sorry, Your post is too long to have any chance of being interesting. Please be more succinct and exciting and try again..loser)
But it had lots of smileys : whistling:

But only the permitted 20
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 18:25   #44

Quote:
For ease of future reference I have distilled all the posts in this thread into one paragraph Maybe the Mods could make it a sticky? and we could refer Newbies to it - could really help them
Must be a quiet Saturday night in Old Jersey.
Not sure what Ex-C is up to, probably avoiding going to work on the hardstand or nursing a hangover
and as for me, I am just wasting Sunday morning trying to push the posts to 3K - quantity always beats quality on the Webbie thingy.
Quote:
Tommorow I am going to organise the words alphabettically
Try organising the letters first and then use Ex's Internet Explorer 12.0 beta "auto-unpunctuate" key...

That will get you started

BTW, a big thank you to the OP (whoever he/she was) for starting this interesting thread
Old 25-08-2012, 18:29   #45

TLDR.