Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2008, 06:57   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
DOLPHINS

I was sent this today by a fellow sailor. It reminded me of the 2 times when dolphins held me in complete awe. Once was this photo I took from Frolic of 2 dolphins passing my bow in a complete calm.

2 years earlier a group much larger than this passed me going north as I sailed south. Almost in the exact same location. It was blowing around 25knots, and some of the group were swimming from wave top to wave top like missles. It went on for nearly 20 minutes, and on a few came by to visit me. They were definatley on a mission to accomplish something, or get somewhere.

Dolphins always amaze me, but these 2 times were fantastic

i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FROLICING.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	6497  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 09:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
THAT made my morning! Cannot wait till my daughter gets her carcass out of her bunk to show her this clip!

Thanks!!

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 09:39   #3

Boat: San Juan 28
The Catalina Capri 22 I was sailing was joined by a half dozen porpoises for a couple hundred yards in Budd Inlet a couple months ago. It made my whole week! :-)
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 09:56   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Dolphins are amazing creatures. I saw something similar to the "dolphin stampede" in the video. We were southwest of Bermuda, on the way to the BVI from Virginia. Just at sundown, hundreds of dolphins came directly at us from all different directions, leaping out of the water. It seemed like they spent more time in the air than in the water. They circled our boat, checked us out thoroughly, and then left as quickly as they had appeared.

Here's another dolphin story, one that moved me greatly.

Friends of ours on the creek where we lived in Virginia were great sailors--they both absolutely loved to sail. She developed cancer, and after a long battle, she succumbed to the disease. Her wish was to be cremated and her ashes sprinkled on the Bay. Her family honored her wish.

As their boat motored out of the mouth of our little creek into the Bay, a pod of dolphins appeared, and took up station on each side of the bow. They stayed with the boat until it reached the spot several miles out, at which the ashes were to be committed to the Bay. When the boat slowed, they disappeared.

We almost never see dolphins that close to shore, but they were there on that day. Who knows why...
Old 30-12-2008, 14:31   #5

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
I watched an excellent documentary called "Dolphin Army" where several thousand gather on the way to the South African coast sardine shoals. Very cool, a lot of the shots looked like that video.

Awesome post, thanks.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 05:41   #6
Eternal Member

When using South Beach as a hub while travelling. I met a man whose sister worked for the dolphin show on Islamorada. She claimed when they would allow disabled kids in the water with dolphins. The dolphins would zero in on the disabled areas immediatley, and nuzzle the spot.

Hud,

That's the kind of story an honory old cuss like myself. Well my eyes start to weep because it's so heartwarming. The lady must have been smiling down!....i2f
Old 31-12-2008, 08:23   #7

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
I went to work this morning with no pleasantness to look forward to and not in the greatest of moods at all. I always get to work a little early to set up for the day.
While sitting here thinking about what I have planned for the day and looking at my emails and my daily look at Cruisers Forums I saw this video of the Dolphins.
Now I have a smile on my face that will last all day
Thanks for sharing this amazing video!

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 11:40   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
I2F:

Thanks. I showed the video to my almost teenage daughter and she condescended to look at the video. It started off as. "That's cool." then went to "Wow that is even more than we saw!!" and escalated to "Oh My Gosh. That is SOOO Cool. Can you save it to show my friends."

I remeber racing down the CA Coast in an Express 27. Somewhere is So Cal on a midnight watch with a bright Full moon we were surrounded by dolphins. Four dolphins jumped out of the water. They were all about the same height. Then they did it again and one was obviously lower. Three jumped out and two were obviously higher. Finally Two jumped out and one of them was way higher. That one got out of the water again and then did a tail stand as a celebration. Real Cool.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 13:15   #9
Eternal Member

Charlie,

Great for the young one. My stepdad wanted to sell the house, and move to Mexico when I was 12. My mother said ABSOLUTELY not. This started my sailing vision. I imagined myself playing with the fish, and no school. She killed his dream of sailing. He was very proud of me when I took it up, and kept a photo of Frolic on his desk until his time came.

HEY! maybe next year will be your time. My fingers are crossed for you, and yours.

Keep the dolphin stories coming. They seem to be giving inspiration!!!!!!!......i2f
Old 01-01-2009, 09:22   #10

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Amazing footage!.When I returned to sailing 5 years ago,I was relocating boat from Powell River B.C. to Squamish in a February northwesterly gale with 40 kts.It was supposed to be only small craft warning.I was solo (plus one dog),slightly nervous,as boat was new to me.Off Texada Is. I was surrounded by dolphins,I felt like they were welcoming me back to the sea,suddenly I was relaxed,and had the best sail in many years.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 14:34   #11

Boat: Bristol 30
Amazing!!!!
Thanks for posting that.
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphins