Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-03-2014, 15:03   #121

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Now Now Coops don't be saying things that are not true. I didn't recall using the word lunatic and looked through my posts and couldn't find if I did. I seemed to have upset you and maybe its time to swallow your pride here. Stating you were all on crack is generally accepted as a friendly joking phrase since I would have no idea if any of you are on crack. I was defending my side of the argument and only insulted those that insulted me.

I respect the opinions of others but don't always agree. Its time to lighten up!!!

Old 19-03-2014, 15:07   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Merely to correct your wording, if you read my last post I did not say that you used the word lunatic.

PS. I cannot see that I actually have any pride in copy and pasting a video. Simply light entertainment was all it intended to be.

Coops.

Old 19-03-2014, 15:15   #123

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post

PS. I cannot see that I actually have any pride in copy and pasting a video. Simply light entertainment was all it intended to be.

Coops.

I've tried staying out of the argument, I may even have been an instigator, if so I didn't mean to do that

Anyway I enjoyed seeing it again, thanks,
nothing wrong with someone sharing some of the good things in life, everything doesn't have to be about disasters, deaths and murders.
Old 19-03-2014, 15:19   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Totally agree. Don't see any reason to be so negative, so much.

Coops.
Old 19-03-2014, 15:31   #125

Old 19-03-2014, 15:37   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great example of human reasoning there. Bloody funny.

Coops
Old 19-03-2014, 15:50   #127

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

we've come full circle haha
Old 19-03-2014, 15:56   #128

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Stating you were all on crack is generally accepted as a friendly joking phrase since I would have no idea if any of you are on crack. I was defending my side of the argument and only insulted those that insulted me.

I respect the opinions of others but don't always agree. Its time to lighten up!!!
I don't think many here took the crack statement as humor, but more condescending and belligerent. You have been defending your side of the "argument" by implying that anyone who does not believe as you do is crazy.

Nor have you provided any rational defense as to why you believe that only humans can reason. Just saying that only humans can reason, is a belief, a statement without any supportive evidence.

It would be nice if you could substantiate your claim with a few references to papers supportive of your belief. What little research I've done in support of your belief, seems to basically come down to: "because God made only man in his on image". Not really scientific at all.

Here is another link supporting intelligence in Cetaceans.

Cetacean intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As Dolphins and humans are vastly different in both mental structure and environment, It is fairly obvious that dolphin reasoning will be somewhat different from man. But to say that only man can reason, really has little scientific support. In fact, outside various religious websites, I find much support for Cetacean intelligence. They communicate with each other and some have also learned to understand human sign language. We on the other had have yet to decipher any of the Cetaceans voice patterns.

Who knows, they may even have their own religion.
Old 19-03-2014, 17:44   #129

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Right on, Sailorchic34, and from what I've seen here, I still think mottseng meets all the choreographic requirements to run for congress (lunging, sidestepping, backpedalling, you name it)...
Old 19-03-2014, 20:10   #130

Coops, despite the negativity, or perhaps because of it you have definitely provided some relief from this winter of our discontent. Thank you
Old 19-03-2014, 21:10   #131

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

mottseng for congress!!!! For all of Neeltje's reasons.
Old 19-03-2014, 22:45   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
Coops, despite the negativity, or perhaps because of it you have definitely provided some relief from this winter of our discontent. Thank you
That reminds me of a camping shop that was having an end of season sale in Sydney. Outside the shop was a sign, "Now, is the winter of our discount tents." Inspired I thought.

Coops.
Old 20-03-2014, 02:27   #133

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Fun discussion of unreasonable reasoning.

Despite the banality I reason this discussion to be above the reasoning of dolphins and dolphins too intelligent to engage in such nonsense.
Old 20-03-2014, 02:38   #134

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
That reminds me of a camping shop that was having an end of season sale in Sydney. Outside the shop was a sign, "Now, is the winter of our discount tents." Inspired I thought.

Coops.
Almost as good as the Thai restaurant I once saw in Sydney's Oxford St district called "Thai Mii Up"

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-03-2014, 06:44   #135

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

It would be near impossible to cut and paste the many scientific publications that make reference to animals having the ability to reason or not. Science continues to study this and articles continue to get published in scientific journals. I for one am on the side of animals not having the same reasoning ability as humans and never will. As Sailorchic34 mentions, there is the creation and God aspect to the belief of only humans can reason however, I discount that and have never brought that aspect into this debate. Below I have pasted one small scientific view as well as a list of references supporting and discounting my side of this debate.

Finally, John Searle (1994) has argued that since animals lack certain linguistic abilities, they cannot think or reasons about institutional facts (for example, facts about money or marriages), facts about the distant past (for example, facts about matters before their birth), logically complex facts (for example, subjunctive facts or facts that involve mixed quantifies), or facts that can only be represented via some symbolic system (for example, facts pertaining to the days of the week). In addition, and more interesting, Searle (2001) has argued that since animals cannot perform certain speech acts such as asserting, they cannot have desire-independent reasons for action. According to this argument, animals act only for the sake of satisfying some non-rationally assessable desire (for example, the satisfaction of hunger) and never out of a sense of commitment. Consequently, if acts of courage, fidelity, loyalty, and parental commitment involve desire-independent reasons for action, as they arguably do, then on Searle’s argument here, no animal is or can be courageous, faithful, loyal, or a committed parent.

References
  • Allen, C. & Bekoff, M. (1997). Species of Mind. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
  • Armstrong, D. (1973). Belief, Truth and Knowledge. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Armstrong. D. (1997). What Is Consciousness? In N. Block, O. Flanagan & G. GŘzledere (Eds.) The Nature of Consciousness: Philosophical Debates. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
  • Beisecker, D. (2002). Some More Thoughts About Thought and Talk: Davidson and Fellows on Animal Belief. Philosophy 77: 115-124.
  • Bekoff, M. & Jamieson, D. (1996). Readings in Animal Cognition. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
  • Bekoff, M., Allen, C. & Burghardt, G. (2002). The Cognitive Animal: Empirical and Theoretical Perspectives on Animal Cognition. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
  • Bennett, J. (1964/1989). Rationality: An Essay Towards and Analysis. Indianapolis: Hackett.
  • Bennett, J. (1966). Kant’s Analytic. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Bennett, J. (1976). Linguistic Behaviour. Indianapolis: Hackett.
  • Bennett, J. (1988). Thoughtful Brutes. Proceedings and Addresses of the American Philosophical Association 62: 197-210.
  • Berm˙dez, J. L. (2003a). Thinking Without Words. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
  • Berm˙dez, J. L. (2003b). Ascribing Thoughts to Non-linguistic Creatures. Facta Philosophica 5: 313-334.
  • Boden, M. A. (1984). Animal Perception from an Artificial Intelligence Viewpoint. In C. Hookway (Ed.) Minds, Machines and Evolution. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Braddon-Mitchell, D. & Jackson, F. (2007). Philosophy of Mind and Cognition: An Introduction (2nd edition). Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
  • Camp, E. (2009). Putting Thoughts to Work: Concepts, Stimulus Independence, and the Generality Constraint. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 78 (2): 275-311.
  • Carruthers, P. (1992). The Animal Issue: Moral Theory in Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Carruthers, P. (1996). Language, Thought and Consciousness. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Carruthers, P. (2000) Phenomenal Consciousness: A naturalistic Theory. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Carruthers, P. (2004). On Being Simple Minded. American Philosophical Quarterly 41: 205-220.
  • Carruthers, P. (2005). Why the Question of Animal Consciousness Might Not Matter Very Much. Philosophical Psychology 17: 83-102.
  • Carruthers, P. (2006). The Architecture of the Mind. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
  • Carruthers, P. (2008). Meta-Cognition in Animals: A Skeptical Look. Mind and Language 23: 58-89.
  • Carruthers, P. (2009). Invertebrate concepts confront the Generality Constraint (and win). In R. Lurz (Ed.) Philosophy of Animal Minds. Cambridge: Cambridge University press.
  • Cottingham, J. (1978). A Brute to the Brutes?: Descartes Treatment of Animals. Philosophy 53: 551-561.
  • Clayton, N., Bussey, N. & Dickinson, A. (2003). Can Animals Recall the Past and Plan for the Future?Nature Reviews of Neuroscience 4: 685-691.
  • Clayton, N., Emery, N. & Dickinson, A. (2006). The Rationality of Animal Memory: Complex Caching Strategies of Western Scrub Jays. In S. Hurley and M. Nudds (Eds.) Rational Animals? Oxford: Oxford University Press.
  • Daston, L. & Mitman, G. (2005). Thinking With Animals: New Perspectives on Anthropomorphism. New York: Columbia University Press.
  • Davidson, D. (1984). Thought and Talk. In Inquiries into Truth and Interpretation (pp. 155-179). Oxford: Clarendon Press.
  • Davidson, D. (1985). Rational Animals. In E. Lepore & B. McLaughlin (Eds.) Actions and Events: Perspectives on the Philosophy of Donald Davidson. New York: Basil Blackwell.
  • Davidson, D. (1997). The Emergence of Thought. Erkenntnis 51: 7-17.
  • DeGrazia, D. (1994). Wittgenstein and the Mental Life of Animals. History of Philosophy Quarterly11: 121-137.
  • Dennett, D. (1987) The Intentional Stance. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
  • Dennett, D. (1991). Consciousness Explained. Boston: Little, Brown and Company.
  • Dennett, D. (1995). Do Animals Have Beliefs? In H. Roitblat (Ed.) Comparative Approaches to Cognitive Science. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press
  • Dennett, D. (1997) Kinds of Minds: Towards an Understanding of Consciousness New York: Basic Books (Science Masters Series).
  • Descartes, R. (1637/1988). Discourse on the Method. In Cottingham, Stoothoff, and Murdoch (Trans.) Descartes: Selected Philosophical Writings. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Descartes, R. (1649/1970). Letter to Henry More (5 February 1649). In A. Kenny (Trans.)Philosophical Letters. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
  • Dretske, F. (1988). Explaining Behavior: Reasons in a World of Causes. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
  • Dretske, F. (1995) Naturalizing the Mind. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
  • Dretske. F. (2000). Perception, Knowledge and Belief. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Dretske, F. (2006). Perception without Awareness. In T. Gendler & J. Hawthorne (Eds.) Perceptual Experience. Oxford: Oxford University Press
  • Dummett, M. (1993). The Origins of Analytic Philosophy. London: Duckworth.
  • Evans, G. (1982). The Varieties of Reference. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
  • Fellows, R. (2000). Animal Belief. Philosophy 75: 587-598.
  • Fitzpatrick, S. (2007). Doing Away with Morgan’s Canon. Mind and Language.
  • Fitzpatrick, S. (2009). Simplicity and Methodology in Animal Psychology: A Case Study. In R. Lurz (Ed.) The Philosophy of Animal Minds. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Fodor, J. (1975). The Language of Thought.
  • Fodor, J. (1987). Psychosemantics: The Problem of Meaning in Philosophy of Mind. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
  • Fodor, J. (1991). A Theory of Content and Other Essays. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
  • Fodor, J. & Lepore, E. (1992). Holism: A Shopper’s Guide. Oxford: Blackwell.
  • Fodor, J. (2003). More Peanuts. London Review of Books 25.
  • Gennaro, R. (2004). Higher-order thoughts, animal consciousness, and misrepresentation: A reply to Carruthers and Levine. In R. Gennaro (Ed.) Higher-Order Theories of Consciousness. Amsterdam & Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
  • Gennaro, R. (2009). Animals, Consciousness, and I-thoughts. In R. Lurz (Ed.) The Philosophy of Animal Minds. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Giurfa, M., Zhang, S., Jenett, A., Menzel, R. & Srinivasan, M. (2001). The Concept of “Sameness” and “Difference” in an Insect. Nature 410: 930-933.
  • Glock, H. (2000). Animals, Thoughts and Concepts. Synthese 123: 35-64.
  • Griffin, D. (1976). The Question of Animal Awareness. New York: Rockefeller University Press.
  • Griffin, D. (1984). Animal Thinking. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
  • Griffin, D. (2001). Animal Minds: Beyond Cognition to Consciousness. Chicago: Chicago University Press.
  • Griffin, D. & Speck, G. (2007). New Evidence of Animal Consciousness. Animal Cognition 7:5-18.
  • Griffiths, P. (1997). What Emotions Really Are: The Problem of Psychological Categories.Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
  • Hare, B., Call, J., Agnetta, B. & Tomasello, M.(2000) Chimpanzees Know what Conspecifics Do and Do Not See. Animal Behavior 59: 771-785.
  • Hare, B. Call, J. & Tomasello, M. (2001). Do Chimpanzees Know What Conspecifics Do and Do Not See? Animal Behavior 59:771-785.
  • Hauser, M. (2000). Wild Minds. New York: Henry Holt and Co.
  • Hauser, M., Chomsky, N. & Fitch, W. T. (2002). The Faculty of Language: What Is It, Who Has It, and How Did It Evolve? Science 298: 1569-1579.
  • Hampton, R., Zivin, A., & Murray, E. (2004). Rhesus Monkeys (Macaca mulatta) Discriminate Between Knowing and not Knowing and Collect Information as Needed Before Acting. Animal Cognition, 7, 239-246.
  • Heinrich, B. (2000). Testing Insight in Ravens. In C. Heyes & L. Huber (Eds.) The Evolution of Cognition. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press.
  • Hume, D. (1739/1978). A Treatise of Human Nature. Edited by P. H. Nidditch, 2nd Ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
  • Humphrey, N. (1976). The Social Function of Intellect. In P. P. G. Bateson & R. A. Hinde (Eds.)Growing Points in Ethology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Hurley, S. & Nudds, M. (2006). Rational Animals? Oxford: Oxford University Press.
  • Kennedy, J. (1992). The New Anthropomorphism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • K÷hler, W. (1925). The Mentality of Apes. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
  • Kornblith, H. (2002). Knowledge and its Place in Nature. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
  • Lurz, R. (1998). Animal Minds: The Possibility of Second-Order Beliefs in Non- Linguistic Animals. (Doctoral dissertation Temple University, 1998). Dissertation Abstracts International,59, no. 03A.
  • Lurz, R. (1999). Animal Consciousness. Journal of Philosophical Research 24: 149-168.
  • Lurz, R. (2002a). Reducing Consciousness by Making it HOT: A Commentary on Carruthers’Phenomenal Consciousness, Psyche 8.
  • Lurz, R. (2002b). Neither HOT nor COLD: An Alternative Account of Consciousness. Psyche 9.
  • Lurz, R. (2003). Advancing the Debate Between HOT and FO Theories of Consciousness. Journal of Philosophical Research 28: 23-44.
  • Lurz, R. (2004). Either FOR or HOR: A False Dichotomy, in R. Gennaro (Ed.) Higher- Order Theories of Consciousness, John Benjamins, Amsterdam, 2004, pp. 226- 54.
  • Lurz, R. (2007). In Defense of Wordless Thoughts about Thoughts. Mind and Language 22 : 270-296.
  • Lurz. R. (2006). Conscious Beliefs and Desires: A Same-Order Approach, in U. Kriegel and K. Williford (Eds.) Self-Representational Approaches to Consciousness, MIT Press.
  • Lurz, R. (2009). Philosophy of Animal Minds : New Essays on Animal Thought and Consciousness. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
  • Lurz, R. (2011). Mindreading Animals: The Debate over What Animals Know about Other Minds. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
  • Lycan, W. (1996). Consciousness and Experience. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
  • Malcolm, N. (1977). Thoughtless Brutes. In Thought and Knowledge. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
  • Marcel , A. (1983). Conscious and unconscious perception. Cognitive Psychology, 15: 197-237
  • Menzel, E. (1974). A Group of Chimpanzees in a 1-Acre Field: Leadership and Communication. In A. M. Shrier & F. Stollnitz (Eds.) Behaviour of Nonhuman Primates. New York: Academic Press.
  • McGinn, C. (1982). The Character of Mind. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
  • Mitchell, R., Thompson, N. & Miles, H. (1997). Anthropomorphism, Anecdotes, and Animals. New York: SUNY Press.
  • Moser, P. (1983). Rationality without Surprise: Davidson on Rational Belief. Dialectica 37: 221-226.
  • Nussbaum, M. (2001). Upheavals of Thought: The Intelligence of Emotions. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Panksepp, J. & Burgdorf, J. (2003). “Laughing Rats and the Evolutionary Antecedents of Human Joy?Physiology and Behavior 79:533-547.
  • Parker, S. T., Mitchell, R. & Boccia, M. (1994). Self-Awareness in Animals and Humans: Developmental Perspectives. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Penn, D. & Povinelli, D. (2007). On the Lack of Evidence that Non-Human Animals Possess Anything Remotely Resembling a “Theory of Mind.” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B362: 731-744.
  • Pepperberg, E. (1999). The Alex Studies: Cognitive and Communicative Abilities of Grey Parrots.Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
  • Povinelli, D & Vonk, J. (2004). We don’t need a microscope to explore the chimpanzee’s mind.Mind and language 19: 1-28. Reprinted in Hurley and Nudds (Eds.) Rational Animals? 2006. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
  • Premack, D. & Woodruff, G. (1978). Does the Chimpanzee have a Theory of Mind? Behaviorial and Brain Sciences 1: 515-526.
  • Proust, J. (2009). Metacognitive states in non-human animals: a defense. In R. Lurz (Ed.) The Philosophy of Animal Minds. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Quine, W. V. O. (1995). From Stimulus to Science. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
  • Radner, D. and Radner, M. (1989). Animal Consciousness. Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books.
  • Rey, G. & Tetzlaff, M. (forthcoming). Systematicity in Honeybee Navigation. In Lurz Ed.) Philosophy of Animal Minds. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Roberts, R. (1996). Propositions and Animal Emotion. Philosophy 71:147-156.
  • Roberts, R. (2009). The Sophistication of Non-Human Emotion. In R. Lurz (Ed.) The Philosophy of Animal Minds. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Rosenthal, D. (1986). Two Concepts of Consciousness. Philosophical Studies 49: 329-359.
  • Santos, L., Nissen, A., & Ferrugia, J. (2006). Rhesus Monkeys, Macca mulatta, Know What Others Can and Cannot Hear. Animal Behavior 71:1175-1181.
  • Savage-Rumbaugh, S., Shanker, S. and Taylor, T. (1998). Apes, Language, and the Human Mind. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
  • Seager, W. (2004). A Cold Look at HOT Theory. In R. Gennaro (Ed.) Higher-Order Theories of Consciousness. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
  • Searle, J. (1983). Intentionality. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Searle, J. (1992). The Rediscovery of Mind. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
  • Searle, J. (1994). Animal Minds. Midwest Studies in Philosophy 19: 206-219.
  • Searle. J. (2001). Rationality in Action. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press. Shoemaker, S. (1996). Self-Knowledge and “Inner Sense.” Lecture I: The Object Perception Model. In The First-Person Perspective and Other Essays. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Stich, S. (1978). Belief and Subdoxastic States. Philosophy of Science 45: 499-518.
  • Stich, S. (1979). Do Animals Have Beliefs? Australasian Journal of Philosophy 57: 15- 28.
  • Stalnaker, R. (1999). Mental Content and Linguistic Form. In Context and Content. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
  • Smith, J., Shields, W., & Washburn, D. (2003). The Comparative Psychology of Uncertainty Monitoring and Meta-Cognition. Behavioral and Brain Sciences 26, 317-373.
  • Sober, E. (1998). Morgan’s Canon. In C. Allen and D. Cummins (Eds.) The Evolution of Mind. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
  • Sober, E. (2001a). Simplicity. In W.H. Newton-Smith (Ed.), Companion to the Philosophy of Science. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
  • Sober, E. (2001b). The Principle of Conservatism in Cognitive Ethology. In D. Walsh (Ed.)Naturalism, Evolution, and Mind. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Sober, E. (2005). Comparative Psychology Meets Evolutionary Biology: Morgan’s Canon and Cladistic Parsimony. In L. Daston & G. Mitman (Eds.) Thinking With Animals: New Perspectives on Anthropomorphism. New York. Columbia University Press.
  • Sorabji, R. (1993). Animal Minds and Human Morals: The Origins of the Western Debate. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
  • Tetzlaff, M. & Rey, G. (2009). Systematicity in Honeybee Navigation. In R. Lurz (Ed.) Philosophy of Animal Minds. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Tschudin , A.J-P.C. (2001). “Mindreading” mammals? Attribution of belief tasks with dolphins . Animal Welfare , 10 , 119-127 .
  • Tye, M. (1995). Ten Problems of Consciousness. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
  • Tye, M. (1997). The Problem of Simple Minds: Is There Anything it is Like to be a Honey Bee?Philosophical Studies 88: 289-317.
  • Wilson, M. D. (1995). Animal Ideas. Proceedings and Addresses of the American Philosophical Association 69:7-25.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: