Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2014, 07:06   #91

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Well duh. Has anyone claimed to know exactly what any animal is thinking? No. Nonetheless, it is still possible for them to demonstrate cognitive reasoning abilities. That has nothing to do with knowing "exactly what they are thinking."
Give me an example of an animal demonstrating cognitive reasoning ability?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 07:14   #92

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Dolphins have sex for pleasure...

I would call that good reasoning.
Dolphins are also guilty of pack rape (of other dolphins of course. )

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-03-2014, 09:46   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Is it funny or sad that I ask that you substantiate your statement with evidence.
It's both, considering that you have yet to substantiate a single one of your statements. You just say ridiculous things and expect everyone else to accept them on blind faith (as you appear to have done).

If you were REALLY open to scientific evidence and being proven wrong (as you very clearly are not) then you would spend 30 seconds on google, educate yourself a little bit, and acknowledge that the ability to reason exists outside of humans.

That's what makes your comments both sad, and funny. Paraphrasing the dolphins from "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy," so long and thanks for all the laughs.

Now please feel free to have the last word, as I intend to take Mark Twain's advice on this matter.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 09:54   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
It's both, considering that you have yet to substantiate a single one of your statements. You just say ridiculous things and expect everyone else to accept them on blind faith (as you appear to have done).

If you were REALLY open to scientific evidence and being proven wrong (as you very clearly are not) then you would spend 30 seconds on google, educate yourself a little bit, and acknowledge that the ability to reason exists outside of humans.

That's what makes your comments both sad, and funny. Paraphrasing the dolphins from "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy," so long and thanks for all the laughs.

Now please feel free to have the last word, as I intend to take Mark Twain's advice on this matter.
Re-read your post and look in the mirror. You have not substantiated any of your claims and google is not a substantial authority. I reason that you are unreasonable. As stated in an earlier post of mine we can agree to disagree. Move on !!!!
Old 18-03-2014, 10:21   #95

Blind Faith is a term usually associated with people who believe in sky Gods.

I love animals as much as anyone and some of them are sure bright. Dolphins are certainly some of the smarter animals we have. Do you think they would beach themselves even after being saved and pointed out to sea if they could reason? Why wouldn't gophers just stay down in their hole when they see their fellow gophers being shot by the farmer? Why does your dog great you with the same enthusiasm whether you leave your home for 2 days or 10 minutes?I could go on all night, science has been doing some serious studies on them and to my knowledge there has been no reputable scientist that believes animals can reason.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 10:48   #96

Okay, this may or may not be reasoning/problem solving. But it comes pretty darned close.

Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 12:02   #97

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Tantalus ... that's awesome!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 12:11   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Blind Faith is a term usually associated with people who believe in sky Gods.

I love animals as much as anyone and some of them are sure bright. Dolphins are certainly some of the smarter animals we have. Do you think they would beach themselves even after being saved and pointed out to sea if they could reason? Why wouldn't gophers just stay down in their hole when they see their fellow gophers being shot by the farmer? Why does your dog great you with the same enthusiasm whether you leave your home for 2 days or 10 minutes?I could go on all night, science has been doing some serious studies on them and to my knowledge there has been no reputable scientist that believes animals can reason.

Who knows why dolphins beach and re-beach themselves? That is not evidence of not being able to reason. Humans kill themselves and do other strange stuff regularly. Does that mean humans can't reason? Of course not. There are many reasons for suicide and other unreasonable behavior even among reasonable creatures.

I have three dogs. Two of them greet me, as you say, whether I've been gone 2 days or 10 minutes. However, one of the dogs greets me differently depending on the amount of time I've been gone. I've had dogs all my life but I've never had a dog like this one.
theaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 12:24   #99

Your third dog doesn't like you, LOL.
Seriously Dolphins live in pods (families) and I have yet to see a family commit mass suicide without being in some religious cult. Fortunately dolphins don't believe in religion so that takes out about the only reason I could imagine plus its not uncommon for them. They are cute/bright and they are wonderful to see at sea but they don't reason.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 12:25   #100

A criteria for having the ability to reason is knowing right from wrong, good from bad and the ability to reason through argument and make behaviour changes as a result.

I am unaware of any animal, dog or dolphin doing this.
Old 18-03-2014, 13:32   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Give me an example of an animal demonstrating cognitive reasoning ability?

Quote:
Systematic study of self-consciousness and theory of mind in nonhuman animals has roots in an approach to the study of self-consciousness pioneered by Gallup (1970). The idea for the experiment came from observations well-known to comparative psychologists that chimpanzees would, after a period of adjustment, use mirrors to inspect their own images. Gallup used these observations to develop a widely-replicated protocol that appears to allow a scientific determination of whether it is merely the mirror image per se that is the object of interest to the animal inspecting it, or whether it is the image qua proxy for the animal itself that is the object of interest. Taking chimpanzees who had extensive prior familiarity with mirrors, Gallup anesthetized his subjects and marked their foreheads with a distinctive dye. Upon waking, marked animals who were allowed to see themselves in a mirror touched their own foreheads in the region of the mark significantly more frequently than controls who were either unmarked or not allowed to look into a mirror.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 13:36   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Guarantee that will not be good enough for him.

Coops.
Old 18-03-2014, 13:50   #103

Boat: Beneteau 473
Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Your third dog doesn't like you, LOL.
Seriously Dolphins live in pods (families) and I have yet to see a family commit mass suicide without being in some religious cult. Fortunately dolphins don't believe in religion so that takes out about the only reason I could imagine plus its not uncommon for them. They are cute/bright and they are wonderful to see at sea but they don't reason.

How do you know for sure they don't believe in religion?

Until you can communicate with them you do not know this for certain.

Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 13:52   #104

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Mottseng, ever think of running for Congress?...

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 13:53   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
How do you know for sure they don't believe in religion?
Because they are intelligent? Now we will get another thread drift no doubt from people who see no fun in that comment.

Coops.