Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2014, 05:55   #46

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondor View Post
Isn't it wonderful that scientists always agree 100% with each other? The climate change debate is one fine example.

Stating that something is true because "scientists" say it is about the most unreasoned and absurd argument I've ever heard...
I am confused, are you saying that global warming is not happening and climate change is not occurring as a result?

BTW...scientists do not always agree 100% with each other hence reviews and scientific publications.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 05:59   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Exactly.

If a dolphin attached a bomb to mottseng's ass because he claimed that dolphins couldn't reason, I'd say that's even further proof.
The only way a dolphin were to attach a bomb to my ass is if it were trained to do so. There is no evidence that any dolphin has ever attached any bomb to anybody's ass for stating that a dolphin couldn't reason. Now that is reasonable reasoning which no dolphin possesses.
Old 14-03-2014, 06:08   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Oh darn...

I missed most of the debate... This one drifted from the OP huh???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 06:11   #49

Too many people are using Disneyland glasses..every test ever done on animals suggests they can not reason, some are very intelligent and they all possess instincts that makes a human baby look like a dummy as our babies have a short list of instincts (sucking) but animals reasoning, no.
If any of you are hunters you'll be glad that they don't or you the hunter would be hunted down by the hundreds.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 06:13   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Too many people are using Disneyland glasses..every test ever done on animals suggests they can not reason, some are very intelligent and they all possess instincts that makes a human baby look like a dummy as our babies have a short list of instincts (sucking) but animals reasoning, no.
If any of you are hunters you'll be glad that they don't or you the hunter would be hunted down by the hundreds.

Well said, I agree
Old 14-03-2014, 07:13   #51

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
pirate Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Post of the month.

You should get a free Cruisers Forum Burgee for that!!!
Did you say Burgee? Buuuuurrrrrrgeeeeee! Hmmmmmm.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 07:15   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Reasoning is "thinking about something in a logical way"

If I'm standing on the golden gate bridge with my dog, and throw a ball over the edge, he wouldn't jump. I would call that reasoning.
DDabs, here is some reading material for you. Take your time.

Dolphins are one of the most dangerous aquatic animals known to man. They are found worldwide in fresh as well as salt water. They are carnivores, eating mostly fish and squid. Dolphins are among the most intelligent animals, and their often friendly appearance and seemingly playful attitude have made them very popular in human culture. Despite their lovable appearance few know that they are responsible for raping over fourteen innocent people a year.
Reproduction and sexuality

Dolphin copulation happens belly to belly; though many species engage in lengthy foreplay, the actual act is usually brief, but may be repeated several times within a short timespan. Typically dolphins give birth to a single calf, which is, unlike most other mammals, born tail first in most cases. They usually become sexually active at a young age, even before reaching sexual maturity. The age of sexual maturity varies by species and gender. Dolphins are known to have sex for reasons other than reproduction, sometimes engaging in rape. Various species sometimes engage in sexual behavior including copulation with other dolphin species. Sexual encounters may be violent, with male dolphins sometimes showing aggressive behavior towards both females and other males. Occasionally, dolphins behave sexually towards other animals, including humans.
Dolphins are social, living in pods of up to a dozen individuals. In places with a high abundance of food, pods can merge temporarily, forming a superpod; such groupings may exceed 1,000 dolphins. Individuals communicate using a variety of clicks, whistle-like sounds and other vocalizations. Membership in pods is not rigid; interchange is common. Dolphins engage in acts of aggression towards each other. The older a male dolphin is, the more likely his body is to be covered with bite scars. Male dolphins engage in such acts of aggression apparently for the same reasons as humans: disputes between companions and competition for females. Acts of aggression can become so intense that targeted dolphins sometimes go into exile as a result of losing a fight. Male bottlenose dolphins have been known to engage in infanticide. Dolphins have also been known to kill porpoises for reasons which are not fully understood, as porpoises generally do not share the same diet as dolphins, and are therefore not competitors for food supplies.
Generally, dolphins sleep with only one brain hemisphere in slow-wave sleep at a time, thus maintaining enough consciousness to breathe and to watch for possible predators and other threats. Earlier sleep stages can occur simultaneously in both hemispheres. In captivity, dolphins seemingly enter a fully asleep state where both eyes are closed and there is no response to mild external stimuli. In this case, respiration is automatic; a tail kick reflex keeps the blowhole above the water if necessary

Attack on humans

Although dolphins generally interact well with humans, attacks have still occurred, most of them resulting in serious injuries and even death. The attacks can occur both in the wild and captivity. Tilikum at SeaWorld. In 2010 he attacked and killed his trainerDawn Brancheau, in his third fatal incident. There is a registered occurrence in the coast of Brazil in 1994, when a man died after being attacked by a bottlenose dolphin named Tião. While dolphin attacks occur far less frequently than attacks by other sea animals, such as sharks, some scientists are worried about the careless programs of human-dolphin interaction. Dr. Andrew J. Read, a biologist at the Duke University Marine Laboratory who studies dolphin attacks, points out that dolphins are large and wild predators, so people should be more careful when they interact with them. Dolphins’ reproductive organs are located on the underside of the body. Males have two slits, one concealing their opposable penis and one further behind for the anus. The male dolphins have been observed using their genitals to grab onto their victims or lovers to engage in coitus. The female has one genital slit, housing the vagina and the anus. Two mammary slits are positioned on either side of the female’s genital slit. Most dolphins have acute eyesight, both in and out of the water, and they can hear frequencies ten times or more above the upper limit of adult human hearing. Though they have a small ear opening on each side of their head, it is believed hearing underwater is also, if not exclusively, done with the lower jaw, which conducts sound to the middle ear via a fat-filled cavity in the lower jaw bone. Hearing is also used for echolocation, which all dolphins have. Dolphin teeth are believed to function as antennae to receive incoming sound and to pinpoint the exact location of an object. Beyond locating an object, echolocation also provides the animal with an idea on the object’s shape and size, though how exactly this works is not yet understood. The Indus Dolphin is effectively blind, however it should still be considered extremely dangerous. Their inability to see prevents them from recognizing the difference between a dolphin or a swimmer. This has caused them to assault humans without even being aware. Researchers believe that it is because not much light penetrates the waters of the Indus river (due to suspended sediments), making eyes futile.
Old 14-03-2014, 07:32   #53
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Despite their lovable appearance few know that they are responsible for raping over fourteen innocent people a year.

Whats your reference to that remarkable load of codswallop?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 07:38   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Whats your reference to that remarkable load of codswallop?
Have you heard of GOOGLE and if so knock yourself out.
Old 14-03-2014, 07:41   #55

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
I am confused, are you saying that global warming is not happening and climate change is not occurring as a result?
Been about the same global temp for about the last 12 plus years...warming doesn't seem to happening lately. Oh yeah, the atmospheric CO2 has continued upward over the same interval.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 07:44   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Been about the same global temp for about the last 12 plus years...warming doesn't seem to happening lately. Oh yeah, the atmospheric CO2 has continued upward over the same interval.
Report from NASA.

Global Warming : Feature Articles
Old 14-03-2014, 07:49   #57

Old 14-03-2014, 07:52   #58

From NASA http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/Fig.C.gif

Old 14-03-2014, 08:34   #59
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Its not reasoning its instinct.... You really should do some reading!!

See below.

Dog deaths at Overtoun Bridge

Overtoun Bridge

Studies have shown that since the 1950s or 1960s numerous dogs have leaped from the bridge at the rate of about one dog per year.[...]
I deduct there were a few leap years in there..
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 09:05   #60

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

I have no doubt that dolphins are intelligent and rational, I've observed them (casually) in their natural habitat for many years.
One slightly different anecdote: I was living and working in Galveston, mid '90's, where the TMMSN (TX Marine Mammal Stranding Network) had a rescue facility on an old military base/fort. My daughters (~ 9-11 years old then) would visit on weekends, etc.
I took them over to the TMMSN for a visit and to 'babysit' a 'little' baby dolphin named "Cole".
Cole's holding pool was in a large room, when we entered, me carrying the youngest on one arm (she is now a Coastie vet), Cole spotted us and became excited.
By the time we reached the edge of the pool (about 3-4' above ground type) the little booger was zooming around his pool raising a ruckus, squealing, watching my girls, and whatever. The other volunteers were looking a little mystified at how agitated he had become.
As I was standing at the edge of the pool and baby Cole was doing highspeed laps, he jumped over the edge into my chest with his chin on my daughters' shoulder! I'm standing there trying to hold both of them (his aft end balancing on the edge, even a baby dolphin weighs a ton), drenching wet all of us, and trying to push Cole back in the water.
That little guy recognized that some playmates his own relative age had come to visit and he was going to be friendly to them. He continued like this, and I think it was just him acting friendly to his 'peers', after spending most of his time with adults.

Baby Cole had a part in a movie, and was later moved to a marine park in the Florida Panhandle, where I hope he is still doing well (it was determined that he couldn't support himself in the wild, so had to remain in (human) care).

And related, I had a family group aboard my CC when I spotted a large pod of dolphins in the bay. I swung course around and cut the engine and drifted close to the pod (some of the crew being 'city folk' not used to such sights).
We all started watching the dolphin's antics in their natural habitat, and I had the bright idea that if one of the kids would get up on the pulpit, the dolphins might come closer.
After quite a sales pitch to 'mama' (What, you want my daughter to walk out on that plank with THEM in the water!!!), the little girl went up there.
Bingo, almost instantly surrounded by a very curious pod of dolphins, all trying to interact with the little girl on the pulpit hanging on to the rails (my own having grown somewhat by then).
Maybe the dolphins just saw 'lunch' standing up there , I don't know; but it was a fun experience for all.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote