Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2014, 14:00   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: san diego
Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter
Posts: 228
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

i was wondering how long it would take for a douglas adams quote...
__________________

__________________
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:05   #17
Registered User
 
mottseng's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Posts: 368
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

You are all on crack (like our Toronto Mayor). You can't see intelligence in eyes and dolphins are not somebody. They are not HUMAN and therefore do not have reasoning ability.
__________________

__________________
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:12   #18
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
You are all on crack (like our Toronto Mayor). You can't see intelligence in eyes and dolphins are not somebody. They are not HUMAN and therefore do not have reasoning ability.
Seems like there are a lot of HUMANS without reasoning ability as well.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:16   #19
Registered User
 
mottseng's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Posts: 368
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Animals do not reason. A dolphin can attack you in the wild and even in captivity. I agree that although humans have the ability to reason some don't do so very well. Aren't you glad we are not in that category !!!
__________________
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:38   #20
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Humans attack and kill without warning. In captivity they attack each other as well. Your reasoning about reason is unreasonable.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:40   #21
Registered User
 
goat's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Everywhere (Sea of Cortez right now)
Boat: PSC Orion 27
Posts: 1,098
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Animals do not reason. A dolphin can attack you in the wild and even in captivity. I agree that although humans have the ability to reason some don't do so very well. Aren't you glad we are not in that category !!!
A person can attack you in the wild and even in captivity. If a dolphin had fingers they'd be using Ipads. IMHO.

Coops beat me to it.
__________________
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:42   #22
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
A person can attack you in the wild and even in captivity. If a dolphin had fingers they'd be using Ipads. IMHO.

Coops beat me to it.
We must both be on crack.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:43   #23
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. George's, Grenada
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,506
Images: 16
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Dolphins have sex for pleasure...

I would call that good reasoning.
__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:45   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

The US Navy has used dolphins for identifying and targeting enemy vessels. If that's not fairly high level reasoning, you must have a strange definition of it.
__________________
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:50   #25
Registered User
 
mottseng's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Posts: 368
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

I reasonably deduct that we have gotten off track here. Humans can kill however they do so with some level of reasoning behind their choice rather than instinct alone. The fact remains is that animals do NOT REASON and you can't see intelligence by looking into the eyes. BTW, not all humans attack and kill without warning. There are as many stories of dolphins interacting pleasantly as there are stories of dolphins showing violence towards humans.
__________________
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:57   #26
Registered User
 
mottseng's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Posts: 368
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
The US Navy has used dolphins for identifying and targeting enemy vessels. If that's not fairly high level reasoning, you must have a strange definition of it.
That isn't reasoning its training. The training of animals almost always involves a reward. How did you think a dolphin would identify an enemy vessel. I didn't know dolphins had citizenship. I find your answer very strange.
__________________
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:59   #27
Registered User
 
mottseng's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Posts: 368
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Dolphins have sex for pleasure...

I would call that good reasoning.
LOL.....good argument.
__________________
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 15:00   #28
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. George's, Grenada
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,506
Images: 16
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

I think it's absurd that you say that animals cannot reason
__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 15:00   #29
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

You best watch this then if you think that they cannot reason.

A crow solves an eight-step puzzle. [VIDEO]

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 15:16   #30
Registered User
 
mottseng's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Posts: 368
Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
I think it's absurd that you say that animals cannot reason
I didn't say it ..... scientists say it. I think its absurd that you didn't know that. Dolphins have what is called Cetacean intelligence which refers to the cognitive capabilities of certain mammals which does not include humans.

I didn't say they were not intelligent. Elephants and some great apes fall into the same intelligent category but they do not have reasoning ability either.
__________________

__________________
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Divers Rescue Dolphin After It 'Asks' For Help GordMay Off Topic Forum 17 25-01-2013 14:08
Seagypsy Woman Asks - GordMay Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 107 01-10-2009 15:10



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.