Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2007, 00:52   #31

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Jesus Christ, just ended up with someone's blood all over my shirt after breaking up a bar brawl tonight. At least there aren't bar brawls on boats, right? I think I need to move out of the city at least.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 01:15   #32

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
unbusted67 - suggestions??
The news about Iraq is so biased, inflamatory and set up to "Make" "News" that it is just not true enough to watch. Don't watch the news or read the papers. This alone should help.

Get into a group that does not do the negative. A little hard to do but it can be done. Your grandson will soon be a good hand sailing/cruising. Setup when you can go and make it happen. I have found that if you are a good person, the word gets around in the sailing groups, and you will find them very soon. The cruising world just gets away from that stuff. A quite week on the water with only those around you that you want (or nobody at all) is REALLY different than the life that you are having.

If you was not in that bar spending your cruising money, you would not have blood to wash out of your shirt.

Take a look at this site to see what the other side is doing -
Abaco Message Board

See you there in '07 or '08 or '09 or .........
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 01:21   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx
unbusted67 If you was [sic] not in that bar spending your cruising money, you would not have blood to wash out of your shirt.
I was working, not spending. I think if it weren't for the money I would be out of this lifestyle pronto but right now it is the thing that is going to get me aboard my own boat the quickest. Life is about compromises, unfortunately.
Old 18-05-2007, 03:56   #34

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Thanks for setting me straight. I cannot say that what I am doing to fund the cruising kitty is better or easier (but i am sure that it is harder).

Good luck with your plans, I hope to see you there soon. My plans look good to leave in early Nov this year.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 10:18   #35
Scurvy Dog

Plan on trying to sail away from "the marina" as soon as you can. There are a lot of drunks in marinas.

When you get a boat, make sure your plan focuses on getting to the point of untying the docklines with no strings (well, few anyway) attached to land.

Other than the anchor, that is.
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 12:29   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67
Jesus Christ, just ended up with someone's blood all over my shirt after breaking up a bar brawl tonight. At least there aren't bar brawls on boats, right? I think I need to move out of the city at least.
Um... BOSTON! Need I say more???

When I lived there, in addition to the bar fights, I saw more than one gun fight... even one right outside my apartment. Some guy came up from the subway (or T in Boston terminology) chased by police. They exchanged fire and he ran across to the building across from me shooting at them. He got up on the roof and kept shooting... that's when the helicopter arrived.

They lost the guy. He got away.

Worst city I've ever lived in and been to (and I have been to most of the Western World and Middle East in my former "professional" life)
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 15:12   #37

I love your outright contempt for Boston. I am officially into it. My girlfriend and I are getting ready to go look at a nice town in North Carolina. I have seen and been through some pretty bizarre and horrible things in this city and am ready to get out.
Old 18-05-2007, 16:01   #38
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I like Paul Simon's advice, "I get all the news I need on the weather report." Otherwise, the only way I can take it is via "The Daily Show."

I don't know Boston, I've never been there, and have no desire to go (except to see the Constitution).

After 30 years of dealing with criminals, though, I can tell you this: Every place has them. Unless you yourself associate with them, your likelihood of being a victim is more random than anything else. (I acknowledge that may be cold comfort.) Most of them, although certainly not all of them, get caught due to their own selfishness and stupidity rather than the brilliance and capability of our law enforcement agencies. The good news, though, is that there are saints everywhere, too. I think there are more of them, actually, particularly those represented by the everyday good deeds done for no other reason than the simple spirit of humanity.

Dovetailing on the previous quote of Jung, I'll provide another: He who does not know his own shadow, is doomed to be ruled by it.

We are all capable of great evil. Knowing that I can, also gives me the possibility of doing good.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote