Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 06:26   #1

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat
Does anyone know of Fyodor Konyukhov?

I have heard of this individual and would like to verify the extraordinary acheivements outlined in Wiki. Am I probably one of the few behind the times? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fyodor_Konyukhov I thought I'd ask for CF's opinion.
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:35   #2

Re: Does anyone know of Fyodor Konyukhov?

He's hugely famous in Russia. Wiki's info sounds about right based on Russian media, forums, etc. He also tried to do another non-stop, but media found out that he did stop in one place and raised a big stink about that. Afaik, he stopped his sailing career and became a priest after that.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:17   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
He's hugely famous in Russia. Wiki's info sounds about right based on Russian media, forums, etc. He also tried to do another non-stop, but media found out that he did stop in one place and raised a big stink about that. Afaik, he stopped his sailing career and became a priest after that.
Da, eto tak. But there are signs of semi-charlatanism in some of his adventures and I'm not sure all of his claims are trustworthy. For example, he claims to have been shown the Ark of the Covenant in Ethiopia, which a lot of Coptics have claimed is ridiculous - even the Patriarch is not allowed to see it (and there is a lot of doubt that it is in Ethiopia at all).

But in any case he is one of those bizarre, outlandishly eccentric, crazy Russians you can't help but love. Prolific painter, movie director, sailor, mountaineer -- what's next? Oh, yeah, I forgot priest . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But in any case he is one of those bizarre, outlandishly eccentric, crazy Russians you can't help but love. Prolific painter, movie director, sailor, mountaineer -- what's next? Oh, yeah, I forgot priest . . .
Don't forget a very successful businessman - all his exploits had to be funded...
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:28   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I met him and his son at the end of the Around Alone in 98/99. Even got to ride in the parade through Charleston with the son who was pretty much his entire support crew. A really nice guy. Continued to follow him and his exploits for a few years after that but then lost track of him. What I read in Wiki sounds about right ... he was an amazing guy and multi-dimentional. Didn't know he became a priest but I'm not surprised. He was quite the mystic.
Old 26-10-2013, 02:38   #6

Boat: 42ft pilothouse cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
Don't forget a very successful businessman - all his exploits had to be funded...
Digging up an old thread... Do you know what businesses he ran? Just curious to know how he has managed to fund so many adventures... Writing a few books and making some paintings doesn't power the kind (and sheer volume) of achievements he's managed...
nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 06:17   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

[QUOTE=Dockhead;1008725

(...)

But in any case he is one of those bizarre, outlandishly eccentric, crazy Russians you can't help but love. Prolific painter, movie director, sailor, mountaineer -- what's next? Oh, yeah, I forgot priest . . .[/QUOTE]

He did the sailing allright. Later drove that alloy yacht to adventures similar to that of Blake's, except in the cold. I saw her on sale via Y achtworld. Very cool.

http://www.sail-world.com/photos/Alt...rusa_small.jpg

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 06:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Digging up an old thread... Do you know what businesses he ran? Just curious to know how he has managed to fund so many adventures... Writing a few books and making some paintings doesn't power the kind (and sheer volume) of achievements he's managed...
I think it was all in times when things got govt funded there and also in the early stage of the private business sponsorship. You may track some sponsors by looking at the image I linked.

b.
Old 26-10-2013, 15:10   #9

Boat: 42ft pilothouse cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
He did the sailing allright. Later drove that alloy yacht to adventures similar to that of Blake's, except in the cold. I saw her on sale via Y achtworld. Very cool.

http://www.sail-world.com/photos/Alt...rusa_small.jpg

b.
Do you know what that boat is named nowadays?
nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 17:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Do you know what that boat is named nowadays?
Alye Parusa.

b.
Old 03-11-2013, 21:54   #11

Никогда не слыхал о Федоре раньше. Теперь придется разузнать о нем подробнее, а то не понимаю о чем все ведут речь.

Never heard of Fedor but now will run a research on Google. Got to know what and who everybody discuss here.
Fidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 22:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Da, eto tak. But there are signs of semi-charlatanism in some of his adventures and I'm not sure all of his claims are trustworthy. For example, he claims to have been shown the Ark of the Covenant in Ethiopia, which a lot of Coptics have claimed is ridiculous - even the Patriarch is not allowed to see it (and there is a lot of doubt that it is in Ethiopia at all). But in any case he is one of those bizarre, outlandishly eccentric, crazy Russians you can't help but love. Prolific painter, movie director, sailor, mountaineer -- what's next? Oh, yeah, I forgot priest . . .
Почитал о Конюхове... Read about Fedor... I read both Russian media and few things in English (possibly, also written by Russian media). Did not like any of it. I have quite tender attitude to faith (not religion), and I am Russian myself. But everything I read about Konukhov smells like sponsored campaign for specific type of Russian patriotism. The type which usually leads to ideas of "national pride", "clean blood", "purification of nation", "great Russian religious renaissance" and such... All in all, it usually comes to simple shovinizm, intolerance and support of "strong political hand". Fedor as person is interesting and intriguing, but his popularity is a result of work of forces, which have a different, darker agenda. IMHO.
Fidar is offline   Reply With Quote