Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2012, 14:31   #1

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad
Do You Remember Your First Bucket?

They say you always remember your first time, and I suppose they're right...

It was around 1am in a seedy little bar in Guadalajara. I was already two sheets to the wind, and headed for oblivion when I saw her sitting alone at the end of the bar.

She was beautiful...so firm, and such a sweet smile...and she was looking right at me. What can I say, I was smitten!

I got up and did my best drunken, macho walk over to her (trying not to stagger much), which brought out a giggle from her. I introduced myself, and she said her name was Rosalita...such a lovely name...

We sat there and talked for a little, then she got up and told me to get a bottle and meet her outside, gave a little wink and walked toward the door. I bought a bottle of tequila and followed her out.

The fresh night air did little to sober me up, or maybe I was just intoxicated by her presence, but I don't remember much of what we talked about, I just remember walking to a hotel on the west side of town.

It was a wild night...we laughed, cried, and loved each other until the sun came up. It was a beautiful red sunrise, but I should have heeded the warning...red skies at morning, sailor take warning!

I stood half dressed, looking at the sunrise from the balcony when a knock came on the door, and the yell, "Policia!"

I turned and looked at Rosalita lying on the bed, and seeing her in the morning sunlight, I realized that I was with an under-aged bucket! OMG, she was barely more than a pail!

The pounding and yelling continued, and the only thing I could do was grab the rest of my clothes and make a run for it! So I jumped the balcony and took off running while I was trying to finish getting my clothes on!

I hid in alleys and back streets, and finally hitchhiked to the west coast where I bribed my way aboard a fishing boat that was headed out. From there, I was able to meet up with a freighter headed for the Philippines, where I am today.

I'll never forget Rosalita, or our wild night together, but now I found Ling Mai! Smooth, lithe and supple, in fact, you wouldn't believe how flexible these Asian plastic buckets can be!

Old 30-09-2012, 14:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Do You Remember Your First Bucket?

Brilliant.

Cannot compete along the lines of your drama filled memories. My first bucket probably set the tone for all of the later ones and would go a long way to explaining why i am alone and bucketless now. Yes, i freely admit, i abused my first one. Did things to it that i am ashamed of now, and set the pattern for my selfish life and the complete lack of any sympathy for my short term companions. I cannot go back and right the wrongs, even the ones i left upside and down and battered somewhere, but can only promise that if i am lucky enough to meet the bucket of my dreams i will treat her with more respect than i ever have before.

Coops.
Old 30-09-2012, 15:35   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

yeah--was a 5 gallon white with a lid. came with my boat. stayed with that boat , also....1990-1991...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 15:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Oh good lord, I don't even remember my first bucket. There have been so many. They come and go, sometimes with the tide. Some have been a disappointment. Great expectations, but then they leave me hanging...

I do remember one though. He was a strong old fashion sort. You could tell he was steel under the grim and dirt. A real brute but with an edge. Though he was a little old for me, we got along swimmingly.

It was love at first sight. Oh the happy years we had. Alas all good things must end and we drifted apart. Not sure what every happened to ol' Rusty. I guess he's beyond the pail.

Most of the buckets nowadays are just cheap imitations. All show and no go. Though I do like the buckets that hang around the hardware stores.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 15:43   #5

Brilliant
Old 30-09-2012, 16:34   #6

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

I remember my first. She was a sleek canvas folding model. She had many more years experience than I. She was a cougar of a bucket. We met on my first boat and had many adventures together. One day she just up and left me holding a rope. My heart still yearns for her.

If you love something set it free. If it comes back it is yours, if not it never was.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 17:48   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

As an early marlinspike project I spent hours sewing a traditional bucket from old sailcloth, with a rope handle, weighted just so with a 10 foot lanyard cow hitched on. Perfect in function. My daughter, only about 3, had been watching me toss it overboard, pull up water, and rinse the deck.

And so, when I wasn't looking she picked it up, tossed it over, and then smiled at me. Smiling back was... difficult. But eventually I did.
Old 30-09-2012, 19:23   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahh ! The first ! so long ago, but I still remember when I first saw her shineing in the window of a ships store in Bremerton Washington. It was lust at first site !! Those highly varnished Mahogany slats, and the bronze hoops! Ahh I was lost in her glory ! I had to have her! It took almost all of my hard earned fishing money, but she was mine ! We were together for over 20 yrs! and then Connie came into our life and she could never put up with me haveing another ! so she jumped over the side one Bad weather night ! I miss her still ! even dream of her sometimes ! O well every good thing has it's end !!
Old 30-09-2012, 20:06   #9

The sentimentality of some of you just makes me want to puke! Over the side and not even in a bucket. Yeah, I use to spend good money hoping to fall in love with some expensive Hardware or Marine store bucket. But they often broke it off (usually at the handle). Today I just wander the waterfront find some nice jugs and bring them back to the boat. First I cut off their necks and then prick their sides with my marlinspike and run lines through them. I use them and abuse them and when I'm done with them I throw them in the recycling bin. Got the photos right here:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: A DIFFERENT KIND OF BUCKET LIST
Old 30-09-2012, 20:06   #10

I'm confused ...Again. no not really
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 20:09   #11

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Today I just wander the waterfront find some nice jugs and bring them back to the boat. First I cut off their necks and then prick their sides with my marlinspike and run lines through them.
I thought I recognized you from the Post Office
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 22:36   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I don't remember my first bucket but I was in the business of importing some real sweet ones from the UK many years ago. They were made from the heaviest plastic you've ever seen on a bucket. Their complexion was a translucent white. Their handle was a full 1/4 inch thick of heavy chrome plated steel. That was her only weakness. The rust would break through her chrome in a few years like a cancer. We asked the manufacturer to switch to stainless but it was too hard on his equipment. Eventually their insurer told them they wouldn't be covered by product liability insurance in the US and sadly they would no longer ship me my beautiful buckets. Damn lawyers.
Old 01-10-2012, 00:08   #13

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I was seriously underage when I had my first bucket affair. Cradle-robbing you could call it. Today the miscreant bucket would life in the joint. It was red, not very big, plastic. Used me and finally left me for another, even younger. Damn, I fell in love with that bucket, she took advantage of me, used my innocence for her own needs.

I was maybe four years old, we built countless sandcastles on the beach. I'll never forget her

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:35   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

My history with buckets is quite varied...........

My first bucket was around 40 years old . You can learn a lot from an older bucket .

Me in-laws were in the wholesale bucket business - shipped 'em from Thailand to Macau and Japan.

My own personal bucket also used to do some security work for the places folks would come and admire buckets in Bangkok - not so much to prevent admirers stealing (or breaking ) the buckets, but to stop the working buckets fighting amongst themselves ........too many working buckets in one place more hard work than a bag full of cats . But good money in the more freemarket end of Bucketeering .

One of the (many? ) things my own bucket liked about me was that I didn't play with the working Buckets . The buckets kinda liked that as well - although that possibly as much to do with the fact that buckets very useful to drink large amounts of alcohol with .

Of course then her handle fell off - and she went deep six .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:35   #15

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
The sentimentality of some of you just makes me want to puke! First I cut off their necks and then prick their sides with my marlinspike and run lines through them. I use them and abuse them and when I'm done with them I throw them in the recycling bin. Got the photos right here:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: A DIFFERENT KIND OF BUCKET LIST
OMG... that's disturbing! Do I recognize you from this blog? Sociopath World
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote