Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 14:57   #46
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Do You Remember Your First Bucket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmastern View Post
This is no place for buckaphobic comments!

Pretty sure they're not OK with human/bucket relationships in Wasilla, LOL!

I just picked up a nice milsurp canvas bucket at the flea market, WWII issue date 1944. Looks brand new, they don't make em like that anymore! Cost 4$.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:06   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
I'm sick of bucket this and bucket that....TO **** WITH BUCKETS!!!
If you are sick, then you definitely need a bucket.

Coops.
Old 19-10-2012, 09:02   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Thanks for the invite to the squadron.

Wow, you guys are so careless with your buckets!!!!

Lost buckets??? Forgotten buckets??? How can you forget any bucket let alone your first? These tales of buckets wanting to escape and needing to be tied up are the most disturbing. I only tie up (or handcuff) my buckets for fun. I have always treated my buckets so well that none of mine have needed to be tied up to prevent loss .

I notice that newbies often post that they are concerned by issues of boredom occurring when cruising. Maybe the Bucketeer Squadron could step in with a few suggestions? My experience has been that buckets can keep you occupied for hours.

As previously mentioned my buckets have unfortunately made me sign a non disclosure agreement (totally unnecessary, as I never kiss and tell) so my lips are sealed when it comes to details . Must leave that to your imagination .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 10:34   #49

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Ahh, but the buckets I remember from youth. Tall and lean, shapely without becoming rubenesk. Joyful exhuberance as only a young bucket can exude. Willing to experiment, shyly.

I could go on, but discretion, discretion

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 11:05   #50

I loved my canvas bucket; stowed flat, very heavy canvas.. not noisy like some of those young "chatterbox" buckets. Always willing to take a dip from the lanyard and wash down the decks... I miss her... even if she did rot out....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 13:15   #51

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

I remember my first bucket; she was a cheap little thing, bright red plastic, very thin skinned, all bling and no substance. I picked her up in the discount isle of the local hardware store. Her handle was a cut-rate little affair made of Chinese steel, though the manufacture claimed it was just as good as when it was made in Canada. She wouldn’t hold a bucket of steam without failing and when I tried to tie her up with 6 ft. of shoreline, it was a disaster. Twice I had to use the mail buoy boat-hook to fish her out of da’ drink, it was pathetic.
The first time wasn’t so bad, but the second time a sea bat managed to make its way inside her and I thought my arms would give out trying to get her back aboard. I swear he had the span of at least a GU11, if not as big as a B1rd! I actually had to stop, apply a good amount of elbow grease (I was out of relative bearing grease) to help me land her. I should have just left her then and there. But I was young and stubborn, surely I could get more use out of her, but when I finally got her back aboard I found we were finished, her flaws were too many, my expectations too high and my pleasure too small. I cut her loose to drift into another’s path.
No looking back for me.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 06:48   #52
Nia

Boat: was 17' Thistle, currently looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
But I was young and stubborn, surely I could get more use out of her, but when I finally got her back aboard I found we were finished, her flaws were too many, my expectations too high and my pleasure too small. I cut her loose to drift into another’s path.
No looking back for me.
I see how you are Khagan. Use her up, steal her best days from her and toss her aside like yesterdays news when she no longer looks pretty and doesn't function like she should because of your abuse. Sure hope you don't treat your boat like that.
Old 21-10-2012, 18:46   #53

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nia View Post
I see how you are Khagan. Use her up, steal her best days from her and toss her aside like yesterdays news when she no longer looks pretty and doesn't function like she should because of your abuse. Sure hope you don't treat your boat like that.
Women! They just don't understand a relationship!

Never seen a cheap boat yet.

As for my boat, I treat her with tender loving care!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 15:04   #54

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Bucket's gone wild!

Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 20:34   #55

Boat: too many

I'm 59 and still caressing my first bucket (t).
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 22:18   #56

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

My first bucket...haven't thought about it in years. I'm from New Jersey and like so many things there it was a sleazy affair. I wasn't alone. It was a bucket...dare I say it...brigade. There were a whole line of us guys. We had been drinking and were young and inexperienced and anticipating, no, needing...our first experience with a warm, wet, dark bucket. It had the biggest handles I'd ever seen. We lined up, took turns and filled the bucket. It was over almost as quickly as it had begun. I learned that once you go with a dark bucket you can come back but sometimes now when I'm alone with a plain white plastic pail I think back to the time I had and the memory of that first bucket brigade.
Old 13-11-2012, 22:53   #57

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
My first bucket was a red beauty, but a bit flat chested, the better for bailing with. I dipped her in the waves to cool off on a hot summer afternoon and she never came up. I replaced her with her twin, who floated off a nice rope handle I had made for her and slowly sank, while I watched, only slightly more worried about knocking my partner off the bow than leaning over to rescue her. We now have another set of twins, one stays below in case we actually need to bail and the other has had holes drilled in and a leash attached.
Old 14-11-2012, 03:09   #58
Armchair Bucketeer

Gotta remember to make sure whether your Bucket is Bluewater capable......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 08:50   #59

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Gotta remember to make sure whether your Bucket is Bluewater capable......
Mine took on some pretty severe yellow water!
Old 14-11-2012, 09:00   #60

Boat: OEM, proportional

Yes, I remember my first bucket....I dropped it off the jetty at Coochiemudlo Island waiting for the ferry back to the mainland. Dad was angry because his folding shovel was wedged in it at the time....both sank beneath the waves (shovel & bucket, not Dad...). Hope someone worthy found them and gave them a good home. Always carry your bucket on the side opposite to any edge where it might fall off. If it nonetheless falls over, go after it. Daddies can shout loud, and wondering where the bucket is and how it is faring will keep you up nights.