Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-07-2010, 19:52   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
A cigarette style boat lost its engine passing while me closely in the Northern Chesapeake........BLLLLLLLLAHHHHHHHHHHHHH...AHHHHH HHHHHHH.....AAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Boom!!!!!!!!!!!! (steam/smoke/smell) I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't accept a tow.

It was a late October day and there was NO-BODY else out there.

Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 20:07   #17

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Used to be? Did his boat mysteriously sink one dark night?

Haha! unfortunately, not. He just moved marinas. Now he can be the bane of their existence for a while.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
scook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:57   #18

Boat: not much yet
This is the reason why LOZ is not much of a sailboat, or even small boat lake, on the weekends. It is a game with the big power boats to swamp people with their wake.
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 14:49   #19

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
We have the same problem here in australia as well ,it even extends to our pilot boat operators i personally have experienced one idiot passings along side of me at planning speed who then procceded to then cross in front of me as soon as he was clear all in a 7knot zone !! my then 11 yr old daughter was near the bow i yelled hang on, i turned to look at the idiot driving and he was grinning ,the way my trimiran bucked and rolled ive never experienced before, a fellow power boat operator in a small fishing boat hailed us to see if we were ok even he could not believe the stupidity of this mans actions i was so pissed that the following monday i went to the head office and saw the manager i was as mad as hell and i wanted this idiot to know it, the manager was opologising profusley and said he would investigate ,i said to the manager that i didnt want the guy to loose his job i just wanted him to be raked over the coals ,a few days later i received a phone call explaining that the driver was given an offical caution and one more infringment and he was gone -did i feel better not really but at least he knows that he is accountable for his actions i wish all the other power boats observed the speed limit and used common sense when passing someone and to be fair not all power boat operators are like this and i always give a friendly wave to courtious drivers who slow down to limit there wake and some yachties are just as bad holding races in shipping channels and abusing everybody who gets in there way - lets face it we are all out there together imagine if we all done the right thing how much more you would enjoy your boating ?
cheers andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 17:42   #20

Boat: Pilgrim 40 LIBERTY
My guess would be that when power boat people see a sailboat they assumed it is pretty much glued to the water. They originally alter course to pass a fair distance in front of the sailboat. Of course the sailboat is moving at maybe six or seven knots. By the time the power boat realizes that he needs to alter course more he is already committed to going in front and the fair distance turns into something less than that.

I have observed a number of times that if the power boat had held his original course he would have passed astern of the sailboat. Most power boaters don't do time-distance-bearing change calculations very well. It is humorous watching a power boat trying to go in front of a fast catamaran.
pilgrim_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 18:14   #21

Location: Brisbane, Australia. Currently in Boat Lagoon Phuket Thailand.
Boat: Ericson 39B
I was heading back to the marina at dead low tide half way down the leads with 2' under the keel and about 20M behind an other sailboat who was about the same distance from one in front of him, all doing about 6 Knots. This 50' game fishing boat comes down the portside at about 15knots passes me with out even slowing down but then as a boat came around the bend at the marina into the leads he takes of the power pulls in between me and the guy in front and his stink boat slews sideways my boat is rocking madly and I am sure I touched bottom. Call the name of the Idiots boat on the vhf 3 time followed with the words " your an idiot mate" ,didnt get a reply ...maybe I should have let him know who was calling but I think He knew.
I feel better now.
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 18:15   #22

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
If you think watching them try to pass ahead of a fast cat is funny imagine my tri doing 110% of true wind speed. 18-20 knts of wind can kick up a nice sea and the guys take a beating trying to beat a 20 knt sailboat built for the sea , you're so right about the speed, time, distance calculations and they would never think of passing astern. By the same token it would never occur to me to cut them any slack. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 18:51   #23

Boat: 1981 Com-Pac 23
Before getting my sailboat, I owned a few powerboats over the years. I used to do this all the time. I think it is common for powerboaters to get close to other boats - both power and sail, just to check them out. In my powerboat it never bothered me when people passed me like this. Now that I got a sailboat, I realize how much of an impact it has on you. I kind of feel bad for all the sailboats I have passed like that. I don't think it is anyone meaning harm, just not realizing their effect on a sailboat.
BlueWaterMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 19:06   #24
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Coming back to my slip this afternoon, which involved 3.5 hours of sailing, I was involved in crossing situations with four recreational powerboats. Here's the final tally:

# of recreational powerboats who altered course/speed to cross ahead: 4
# of recreational powerboats who altered course/speed to cross behind: 0
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 19:18   #25
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'
I do my best to avoid passing ahead of another vessel, whether I be piloting a power vessel or sailing vessel. I also do my best to give commercial fishing vessels as much room as possible, it is not easy making a living off the water. One of my primary mandates is "do not have a collision with anyone." The other one is "Tonnage has the right of way." .
" Wisdom; is your reward for surviving your mistakes"
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 19:24   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Ah, David, allow me to illuminate. If you pass ahead of a sailboat going 4 knots in light air, you will stop it dead in the water. If you pass behind a sailboat going 4 knots in light air, you will suddenly double its speed.

(Looking forward to demonstrating this principle soon.)
Good point Bash. I will have to help them along their way more often.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 19:37   #27
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2016 Glacier Bay 2770
i said to the manager that i didnt want the guy to loose his job i just wanted him to be raked over the coals
You are too nice..

I would have insisted he got fired as he had no business driving boats for a living.

If somebody throws a wake or cuts too close to my bow I usually say something on the VHF involving idiot and amateur. Air horn and finger also helps.
Worst case, the flare gun comes out.
Life is sexually transmitted
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 19:42   #28
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
my Grandpa must have been the exception to the rule. He always taught wide berth around sail boats and slow down to minimize the wake. This was often in areas where sailboats were motoring, or motor sailing...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 19:50   #29

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ
yes I have noted this need to pass in front and since I am a switch hitter 50/50 power /sail I sometimes get the urge. I have noticed the same thing in the local shipping lanes some power boats will goose it to pass in front of a ship. I often have to control the urge and consider safety and good manors. I think its some kind of universal power thing-big motor pedal to the metal. I suspect many sailors put at the helm of a powerful motor boat may also get the urge despite their higher level of seamanship and consideration of other boats that should come from their sailing experience.

eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: