Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2007, 15:15   #1
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Derelict Boats

I would think one of these would make short work of a boat! Maybe a solution to all those derelicts that seem to inhabit most boat yards.

http://www.slashbuster.com/images/au...e_shredder.wmv

Windows Media File about 2.5MB.

"SLASHBUSTER"® Excavator Attachments: Brush Cutters, Stump Grinders and Waste Remediation Blender
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 16:30   #2

Has anyone ever attempted to use fiberglass from derelict boats for other practical purposes? Could the boats be cut into sheets and somehow flattened with heat/etc for some form of low cost construction material? Its seems such a waste given the strength of glass and the fact that the raw materials and resins/epoxys, etc are not exactly environmentally friendly to produce. I always thought that if I had a house I would find an old sailboat hull (sans keel) to make a cool jacussi or coi pond.
brian and clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 16:49   #3

Boat: C&C 27
Remember the Trabant, the little East European toxic waste car. I believe that they developed a way to recycle the comoposit parts of that car. I always wanted one of those.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 16:52   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Brian and Clare,
I live where water catchment is used and I though that an old sail or power hull would make a great and strong water catchment tank.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 01:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Tests at the German Arbeitsgemeinschaft Verstärkte Kunststoffe (AKV), among other places, have shown that it is technically possible to break down the molecule chains in uncured polyester by pyrolysis*, and then reuse the resulting product as new polyester raw materials. However, pyrolysis is not currently economically viable.
* Pyrolysis is the chemical decomposition of organic materials by heating in the absence of oxygen or any other reagents.

One possibility for recycling Fiberglass is crushing and granulation.
The process was functioning commercially in, for example, Germany, at Ercom Composites Recycling GmbH*. The company accepts fibreglass-reinforced unsaturated polyesters against payment, and sells the granulate for reuse as a filler and, "clean" landfill, and, to a limited extent, as a reinforcing material.

* Ercom Composite Recycling GmbH. Ercom (founded in 1999, by plastics molders and raw material suppliers) offers a complete system to close the recycling loop. A mobile shredding truck crushes used parts at disassembly and production sites to reduce transport costs. The compacted material is then transported to a fractioning plant in
Rastatt from where the material is reprocessed into a range of fibre rich recyclate.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote