Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2013, 14:55   #31

Boat: CD 26D.
Talking Re: Delivery Captains - How sketch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Take that analogy to the extremes. What if the waves were 50' high. Would you rather be in a 25' boat or a 500' boat?

I've been big waves in 32' boats and 90' boats. I'll take the bigger boat any day.
Lol, I hope I'm never in a 50' high swell..... I think that day I'd be laughing with the Gods!!!!! Wet Snail or not.
Old 29-04-2013, 15:00   #32

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Delivery Captains - How sketch?

There is something to the idea that certain lengths are more comfortable in certain wave heights. However, in general, a longer boat will be more comfortable in rougher conditions. Part of that has to do with length, part has to do with weight. However, sometimes length can allow you to go too fast for the conditions, since max. speed is basically determined by length. If you are blasting along at 10 knots in a rough sea it might very well be more uncomfortable than a small boat putzing along at 5 knots.
Old 29-04-2013, 15:00   #33

Boat: Seafarer36c

Cool your jets for buying a boat in Panama, it's a long way away and there are so many WS's left over from dreaming sailors, you don't need to go far to find one.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 15:01   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

You can gut the interior of any boat and rebuild it to your liking. From a Bare Hull (Ferenc Máté)comes to mind. That was a Westsail (don't remember if if it was the 42 or 32) could be an interesting read.

Boats often outlive wives (or at least marriages) and have the advantage that you can remake them. Thus the W32 in Olympia can be made to suit and is somewhat less in initial cost.

I've trucked an Erickson 39 from Cape Cod to the PNW. It was less expensive than buying one here on the Left Coast. Sailed her for 14 years and still sold her for more than I paid. (not counting trucking)

Back to your W32 dreams....

PS If I were to buy a boat in Panama I would get as much work done locally as I could and then head east on a 5 year cruise to Washington.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 15:08   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
So is a 1972 Datsun - but would you wanna buy it? .

SNIP!

Depends on the datsun. This is not mine but I am sorry that I sold mine ages ago....

1973 Datsun 510 "Lean, mean, yellow machine" - Lake Oswego, OR owned by shinobi-SER Page:1 at Cardomain.com

But a very good point!
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 15:17   #36

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Cape dory 25D is a sweet little boat. There are others. There is a lot of emotion in boat buying, including fear. You have a bunch of time learning to run a boat ahead of you, during which time you will build confidence, and very possibly outgrow your first boat. There are lots of great boats that should suit your needs and, yes,I would look for a boat closer to home.

Good luck with your search, and save your transport money to spend on things that will bring you more lasting value.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 15:20   #37
Marine Service Provider

How old are you?? Sounds as if you are a brand new sailor, so why jump in with eyes closed? Do your time behind the wheel, get your sea legs, learn more about boats and sailing--there are plenty of boats around so what is the hurry? The ocean is not going anywhere--except up slowly... Or if you must pursue this dream now....you will make the mistake of learning from experience rather then the experience of others....
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 16:22   #38
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMN View Post
I'm new here, so maybe blowing my life savings on transportation alone in this Panama thing is a terrible idea..
YES! A horrible idea. There are a zillion Westsail 32s and Cape Dory 25Ds for sail in the Pacific Northwest.

Buy local.
Old 29-04-2013, 16:26   #39

Boat: Owens
Not long ago I too was looking worldwide for a boat. Then I learned to filter the listings on Yachtworld. Two months later I calmed down enough to narrow my search to California.

I started visiting boats from Eureka to San Diego with lots of disappointments. Stumbled upon my current boat 50 miles from home in the marina I planned to use anyway. I never set out to buy a specific make and model boat, just something as close to turn key as possible.

Point is, don't be so afraid to narrow the geographic range of your search and relax your brand focus. Ya might keep stepping over your princess while searching for the toads.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 17:01   #40

Boat: Valiant 40

I have a sneaking suspicion that have never even seen the boat in the flesh. Beware pictures on the internet. We hates them! They lie...they LIE!

Backing up a bit from what I'm going to suggest, I just want to say that the trucking cost you got quoted is very likely a very low estimate of what it's ultimately going to cost you. Moving a 40' boat, including decommissioning and recommissioning, from coast to coast of the US is going to run @ $15k, all in. Your truck has to go through a couple of countries before it even gets to the US. If the boat is not derigged and secured properly your $15k proposition can turn instantly into a much more expensive problem...in countries where redress is extremely difficult.

If I were hiring a delivery captain for that transit, I would hire the guy first and worry about where he lived second. You're talking the price of a plane ticket, big f'ing deal. Long haul delivery captains are multi-talented MacGuyvers for the simple fact that they routinely get on old boats in questionable states of maintenance and need to find a way to get the job done. They need to know diesels, electrical systems etc. inside and out and that is before you even get to knowing the route that they are going to go.

You're going to live aboard and you're a novice. What you need is a swami, and there are in fact some boat brokers who specialize in exactly what it is that you want to do. You need to look at boats, lots of boats, and not just on the internet. You need to get in them, sail them, poke around in them and so forth. I guarantee you that after doing that with a knowledgeable broker you'll end up deciding on a different make/model than you had figured on. THEN you spend TIME finding the BEST VALUE boat of the type/class/make/model that you've decided on.

This is critical. Boats depreciate. You're not buying equity, you're buying a hole in the water that you dump money into, pure and simple. But if you buy the right boat that can be mitigated to a serious degree. The key is to realize that every boat is a compromise, and the longer you look at boats the better those compromises come into focus and many of those things you thought you could not live without, particularly some aesthetic considerations, fall to the back of the line.

Starting out by paying someone $15k to deliver a boat that you've only seen from pictures is a recipe for disaster. Don't do it. Find someone who can help you by educating you about the process you're undertaking IN PERSON, and enjoy the ride.

And no, I'm not a boat broker.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 20:28   #41

Boat: CD 26D.

I'm only 23. I've got A LOT to learn!
Old 30-04-2013, 00:44   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Depends on the datsun. This is not mine but I am sorry that I sold mine ages ago....

1973 Datsun 510 "Lean, mean, yellow machine" - Lake Oswego, OR owned by shinobi-SER Page:1 at Cardomain.com

But a very good point!
I guess that is a "beauty in the eye of the beholder" thing .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 07:34   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Peters and May

Ship everywhere. It won't be cheap.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 08:59   #44

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMN View Post
I'm only 23. I've got A LOT to learn!
If you can admit this at 23, then your ahead of were I was at, at 23!!!

Take the advise given here, it is good advise. Worth many times what you have paid for it.

Happy sailing.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 09:12   #45

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

1558 sailboats on Yacht world priced between $10 and $35,000 and lengths between 30' to 34'. And you found your dream boat in Panama?

Tags
delivery