Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2013, 10:09   #16

Boat: CD 26D.
Re: Delivery Captains - How sketch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
At 32 feet I would truck it. Faster, cheaper and less wear and tear.
I got a quote from panama -> Wa to be 15-20,000 on truck.

X[
Old 29-04-2013, 10:11   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
If you decide to sail it north, the most economical way is the circle route out to almost Hawaii and into Washington.This way you would be able to sail most of the way.

Alternatively, you could bash north with prevailing winds on your noise most of the way, mostly motoring. Either way would require making the boat seaworthy, spending more money. Probably around $10-12k US if you hire a delivery Captain, food fuel and other expenses

The other opition is shipping the boat north... Yatch Path stops in Panama and Golfito, Columbia, again it would cost... Probably in the area of $15-25K US. Dockwise is in Bankrupcy court and I wouldn't use them till they reorganize.

The remaining option is trucking, which would mean getting the boat to Mexico or better, San Diego, since trucking a boat through Central America is not an option.

From San Diego to Washington, trucking fees would be $5-8K US, including yard fees and packing. Then add to that cost of sailing from Panama to Mexico or San Diego, food diesel and a delivery Captain and you are probably well over another $5k US, since again you would have to make the boat seaworthy.

Anyway you are looking at it... You will be spending $10k to $25k to get the boat back to Washington.... Is the boat worth it?
FML.

Old 29-04-2013, 10:14   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMN View Post
I got a quote from panama -> Wa to be 15-20,000 on truck.

X[
So pretty much in line or even higher than the costs suggested by the answers on this thread.

Just for curiosity's sake, what is so special about this boat in Panama? Is it some unique, one-of-a-kind classic, does it have some link to your family in the past or is it just you've already bought it and now have to figure what to do with it?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 10:14   #19

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

what about on a cradle as deck load on a cargo vessel?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 10:26   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
what about on a cradle as deck load on a cargo vessel?
Have to find the right vessel since 99% of all cargo moves in containers or bulk carriers so there is no deck cargo. Most of the smaller ships I have seen lately that carry deck cargo are small, inter-island vessels.

Even if you can find a vessel that could carry a boat as deck cargo Panama to WA it would be many thousands of dollars. Still no bargain.
Old 29-04-2013, 11:43   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Rare. Old. Not available. =[[[[[
So is a 1972 Datsun - but would you wanna buy it? .

Same with boats, specific models may be rare on the market (at the time you want one) but boats that do the same job in the same manner at the same age / budget / condition are not rare.

The only way I would buy a boat away from "home" is if I wanted to keep her there or start my travels from that point.....or I could bring her back myself as Skipper............and on a related note would only do so also if I had the boat buying budget to view the usual frogs before finding the princess .....and not being "forced" to buy the best of a POS . And likely also if coming home she would need to be "rare" locally and / or cheap enough to make the extra aggro worthwhile.

Boat buying does involve emotion - but it also involves cold hard figures. Can of course ignore them at the outset, but will discover later anyway. Better and cheaper to do the math before buying as if the numbers don't add up can then walk away - from someone else's problem .

But if you do buy a POS (err.....I mean rare classic ) in some distant port, then our Phil (Boatman61) is probably the goto delivery guy .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 12:36   #22
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

sounds a case of love, which equals $$$$$$$$$ to get into, maintain, and finally to get out of
Old 29-04-2013, 12:43   #23

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

But if you do buy a POS (err.....I mean rare classic ) in some distant port, then our Phil (Boatman61) is probably the goto delivery guy .
Has Boatman done something to make you hate him so much?

Old 29-04-2013, 13:16   #24

Well, it's got a unique interior and I am planning on becoming a liveaboard.

It's a Wet Snail 32, and I felt relatively safe in it pursuing my dreams of ocean crossing. I've been pouring through nearly 6000 boats in every classifieds imaginable and I just don't find them likeable in terms of my HOUSE, and being seaworthy, lol. I found a boat I might enjoy locally too, a Cape Dory 25D, but do you think that one has the same "forgiveness" to a beginner and would be ideal for a single guy living on it and cruising oceans whilst blogging?

Is a Cape Dory 25D really going to be able to take me through tough storms and do extended ocean crossings relatively comfortable with a single guy?!!

I'm new here, so maybe blowing my life savings on transportation alone in this Panama thing is a terrible idea..
Old 29-04-2013, 13:23   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, it's got a unique interior and I was becoming a liveaboard.

It's a Wet Snail 32, and I felt relatively safe in it pursuing my dreams of ocean crossing. I found a boat I might enjoy locally too, a Cape Dory 25D, but do you think that one has the same "forgiveness" to a beginner and would be ideal for a single guy living on it and cruising oceans whilst blogging?
Although many of the Westsails were owner finished interiors it's hard for me to imagine one so unique that it would justify going to Panama to buy it. There are frequently good deals on WS 32s all over the world. Just wait and search for a while and I will guarantee one will pop up. For the money you would spend transporting this "unique" WS to the US you could completely redo the interior of one you bought locally.

A caution, the WS are getting older and like any boat can have expensive problems, sometimes structural. The hulls are bulletproof but the decks can be a different story. Rot and delamination are not unheard of. You could buy this boat in Panama only to discover the whole deck needs replacing.
Old 29-04-2013, 13:25   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Although many of the Westsails were owner finished interiors it's hard for me to imagine one so unique that it would justify going to Panama to buy it. There are frequently good deals on WS 32s all over the world. Just wait and search for a while and I will guarantee one will pop up. For the money you would spend transporting this "unique" WS to the US you could completely redo the interior of one you bought locally.

A caution, the WS are getting older and like any boat can have expensive problems, sometimes structural. The hulls are bulletproof but the decks can be a different story. Rot and delamination are not unheard of. You could buy this boat in Panama only to discover the whole deck needs replacing.
Thank you. I'm... uhh, floored..

There's too much emotion involved in buying boats! I definitely need some more logic, that's why I came here to talk to you guys!!!
Old 29-04-2013, 13:37   #27

Boat: Finnsailer 38

A Westsail 32 isn't unique enough to go through all that effort and money to get back to Washington State, unless you absolutely knew the boat inside and out, and it had a great survey, and you know that the title is absolutely free and clear and legitimate. There are a lot of boats down in Panama with, shall we say, odd histories. Might be tough to legitimately register or document some of them. Plus, it is very rare to see an Internet listing that is accurate on a boat--take with a couple of shakers of salt. And even if it cleared all these hurdles, the only way to get it back would be to bring it yourself, IMHO. Chances are just about 100% that there are some things, often a lot of things, that need work on an older boat before you can even leave the harbor, let alone sail her up to Washington, and fixing all those things will be very time consuming, and possibly expensive in Panama. When I buy a used boat in the USA I figure an absolute minimum of two months to get her ready to go, and it usually takes twice as long as your first estimate, and four times the cost.

Bottom line, this is not something to get into unless you are very experienced and know exactly what you are doing.
Old 29-04-2013, 14:24   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I see a few Westsail's offered in Washington and one in BC that you might consider. Getting a look at the boat and talking to the owner and the others moored next to the boat will give you an Idea of the condition plus you can make a an offer depending on the boat on passing a survey. And you can deduct costs to fix any problems from your offer.....

Westsail sailboats for sale by owner.

Buying locally will allow you to pay Washington state tax and to repower (if needed) and replace the broken things and most of the electronics. Plus add in a great heater for those cold Washington Winter nights.

Regards

PS Keep after your dream and listen to the wisdom of those who have had a few hard knocks while ignoring those do not dream in color.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 14:38   #29

Thanks. I've been looking. None touched my heart as the Panama one did.

I think I'm "downgrading" to a Cape Dory diesel.

I heard someone say that they prefer smaller boats in big waves because they 'ride' them better.
Old 29-04-2013, 14:44   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I heard someone say that they48' prefer smaller boats in big waves because they 'ride' them better.
Take that analogy to the extremes. What if the waves were 50' high. Would you rather be in a 25' boat or a 500' boat?

I've been big waves in 32' boats and 90' boats. I'll take the bigger boat any day.

Tags
delivery