Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2011, 19:57   #76
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

To continue your jest into the absurd - Jimbo485, We should applaud the Japanese who are single-handedly doing their best to remove the huge fish eating and fish food (krill) eating leviathans - whales . . . At least somebody is doing something . . .
__________________

__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 20:02   #77
Registered User
 
Jimbo485's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: some ocean down under
Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Posts: 1,247
Boy, I could go on and on and on and.........[/QUOTE]


Go for it, Geoduck! I would love to hear more of this sort of stuff!
__________________

__________________

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 21:51   #78
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
raising fish in ocean sea pens seems a good idea.
We need to make more food for ever more people.
I hate to see food being used for fuel like in ethanol.
Corn for fuel makes corn more expensive and starvation increases.
I hope your not serious.

Farmed fish has caused all sorts of problems especially the diseases they seem to attract and spread to native wild fish.

It seemed a good idea 30 years ago, but reality is that it didn't work out.
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 22:23   #79
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Ludlow Wa
Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Posts: 1,974
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
This is just another example....like man induced global warming/cooling....Homeland Security....Terror threat levels.....that the politicians use to keep us in a constant state of fear.

This, coupled with the media sensationalism over every weather issue and the never ending 9-11 coverage....keeps the sheeple in a state of panic.
Dear Chief,

Denial is not a river in Egypt. (Just yankin your chain) The power of the keeping things as they are will fail. Fact is 96% of the money is in the hands of 3% of the people. They want to keep it that way. As usual truth is the first casualty. It's the best reason in the world to be a cruiser and to be on this board. In the future we will be glad that we had endless debate on anchors cause we are gonna need them. We will also be glad to have heard your excellent input on mechanical items.

In the PNW when I was a boy we had so many fish that you could fish for salmon with a tennis racket and a club at various time of the year. We were told for years that the loss of fish was about damms....little did we know that they were protecting logging and home development, and not telling the truth. Now we are finding out about mature markets.....like a battery with all the ions at one end of the reaction....no more electrons......no more fish........no more money.

In the USA we have always been like this. Pre- civil war farming of tobacco and cotton destroyed the soil in the mid atlantic states and deep south..whodathunkit? Dust bowls from free land in Oaklahoma, whodathunkit?? There is a common denominator in all this...we need to act in our own best interest. Just sayin....

Todd
__________________
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 06:39   #80
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
. . . Farmed fish has caused all sorts of problems especially the diseases they seem to attract and spread to native wild fish.

It seemed a good idea 30 years ago, but reality is that it didn't work out.
For an idea that "didn't work out" - unfortunately farmed fish currently accounts for reportedly up to 90% of the salmon fish (and other fishes) sold in the USA.
- - On the other hand, it does appear that farmed fish are not as good a source of food as wild fish. But this is primarily due to the "cost cutting" propensity of aquaculture farmers to feed the fish "land food" rather than the natural food they eat in the wild. It is reported that the fish are fed large amounts of corn (it there anything corn isn't used for? like ethanol gasoline, etc.) and of course large amounts of antibiotics.
From WHFoods: Is there any nutritional difference between wild-caught and farm-raised fish? Is one type better for me than the other?
"FDA statistics on the nutritional content (protein and fat-ratios) of farm versus wild salmon show that:
  • The fat content of farmed salmon is excessively high--30-35% by weight.
  • Wild salmon have a 20% higher protein content and a 20% lower fat content than farm-raised salmon.
  • Farm-raised fish contain much higher amounts of pro-inflammatory omega 6 fats than wild fish."
and: "Disease and parasites, which would normally exist in relatively low levels in fish scattered around the oceans, can run rampant in densely packed oceanic feedlots. To survive, farmed fish are vaccinated as small fry. Later, they are given antibiotics or pesticides to ward off infection."

- - It all sounds just like the chicken and beef "farming" situation currently in North America.
- - Having recently returned to Florida from a decade in the Caribbean where we ate naturally raised poultry, meat animals and fish - I am frustrated that I cannot find any sources of "free range" chicken and beef. Although Florida is supposedly the #2 producer of cattle in the USA it is all dedicated now to "brood cattle" which means the 1 million plus cattle are only used to produce calves which are then shipped by train to the midwest to feed lots for fattening up to full size on corn and antibiotics.
- - Bottom line - we are working feverishly re-fitting the boat to be able to get back out there away from this place and back to "real food" sources.
__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 06:44   #81
Registered User
 
anjou's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Malvernshire, on the sunny side of the hill.
Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Posts: 1,905
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
To continue your jest into the absurd - Jimbo485, We should applaud the Japanese who are single-handedly doing their best to remove the huge fish eating and fish food (krill) eating leviathans - whales . . . At least somebody is doing something . . .
You cannot be serious?

If your going to make tongue in cheek jokes, use a smiley so we know your kidding. If your not joking then its sad. Very sad.
__________________
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com
anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 07:24   #82
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
You cannot be serious?
If your going to make tongue in cheek jokes, use a smiley so we know your kidding. If your not joking then its sad. Very sad.
Did you skip over the first seven words? - "To continue your jest into the absurd. . ."
__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 07:30   #83
Registered User
 
anjou's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Malvernshire, on the sunny side of the hill.
Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Posts: 1,905
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

No, I didnt see the first seven words and now I have
I will forgive you

Where is a smiley when you need one?

Bloody smileys, its about time we had a smiley cull, lasy barstewards, never to be seen when theres work to be done.
__________________
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com
anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 08:10   #84
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
No, I didnt see the first seven words and now I have
I will forgive you . . .

Love it - the female makes the mistake and then she "forgives me" ???????? Good thing I am a charter member of M.C.P. International.
__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 08:22   #85
Registered User
 
anjou's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Malvernshire, on the sunny side of the hill.
Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Posts: 1,905
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

Just remember hunny, a woman ALWAYS has the last word in any dispute.

Anything a man says after that is the start of an argument, thus proving its ALWAYS men who start the fights.
__________________
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com
anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 08:28   #86
Registered User
 
ReMetau's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: Hans Christian 33
Posts: 648
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

Fish farming is not sustainable either, and it destroys large areas of sea bottom.
__________________
Don & Diana
s/v ReMetau - a Hans Christian 33
http://www.remetau.com
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 08:41   #87
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
For an idea that "didn't work out" - unfortunately farmed fish currently accounts for reportedly up to 90% of the salmon fish (and other fishes) sold in the USA.
- - On the other hand, it does appear that farmed fish are not as good a source of food as wild fish. But this is primarily due to the "cost cutting" propensity of aquaculture farmers to feed the fish "land food" rather than the natural food they eat in the wild. It is reported that the fish are fed large amounts of corn (it there anything corn isn't used for? like ethanol gasoline, etc.) and of course large amounts of antibiotics.
From WHFoods: Is there any nutritional difference between wild-caught and farm-raised fish? Is one type better for me than the other?
"FDA statistics on the nutritional content (protein and fat-ratios) of farm versus wild salmon show that:
  • The fat content of farmed salmon is excessively high--30-35% by weight.
  • Wild salmon have a 20% higher protein content and a 20% lower fat content than farm-raised salmon.
  • Farm-raised fish contain much higher amounts of pro-inflammatory omega 6 fats than wild fish."
and: "Disease and parasites, which would normally exist in relatively low levels in fish scattered around the oceans, can run rampant in densely packed oceanic feedlots. To survive, farmed fish are vaccinated as small fry. Later, they are given antibiotics or pesticides to ward off infection."

- - It all sounds just like the chicken and beef "farming" situation currently in North America.
- - Having recently returned to Florida from a decade in the Caribbean where we ate naturally raised poultry, meat animals and fish - I am frustrated that I cannot find any sources of "free range" chicken and beef. Although Florida is supposedly the #2 producer of cattle in the USA it is all dedicated now to "brood cattle" which means the 1 million plus cattle are only used to produce calves which are then shipped by train to the midwest to feed lots for fattening up to full size on corn and antibiotics.
- - Bottom line - we are working feverishly re-fitting the boat to be able to get back out there away from this place and back to "real food" sources.
Farm-raised salmon just doesn't taste as good. My guess is "you are what you eat."
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 08:48   #88
Registered User
 
ReMetau's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: Hans Christian 33
Posts: 648
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Farm-raised salmon just doesn't taste as good. My guess is "you are what you eat."
According to the documentary "King of Corn". We are mostly corn. Almost everything we buy contains some form of corn.
__________________
Don & Diana
s/v ReMetau - a Hans Christian 33
http://www.remetau.com
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 09:39   #89
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW
Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Posts: 607
Images: 9
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

Here's something to ponder - you guys ever heard of 'Hershal' the sea lion?
Several years ago in Seattle during a salmon run at the locks, a sea lion was eating so many salmon that the Fish & Game figured they better get rid of him and a few more like him. So, they trapped him and tagged him and spent $$$$$$ to transplant him elsewhere.
The 1st time they didn't move him far enough and he was back in a few days. Then they took him clear out off the Wash coast and turned him loose - he was back in a week or so! I dont know how much money this cost us but I imagine I could buy a new boat by the time there gave up on him. I dont know if they ever got rid of him - I doubt it because it wouldnt have been politically correct to just put a bullet in him. I think what happened was that when the salmon run was over, he just went away!!
Back in the 60's/70's the F&G got into the salmon egg business - selling eggs to South American fish farms - there was a run of huge king salmon from the Quilliute river that were some of the biggest ever caught - 70lbs + -the F&G guys who were milking the eggs out of these big fish were having back trouble - the fish were to hard to handle. So they figured that they would kill the run and plant hatchery fish that didnt grow so big. So ended the giant Quilliute King Salmon. I cant prove this to be true but it was the story going around the fish docks back in those days and I wouldn't doubt it. I was luck enough to catch a few of those big fish back then - what a thrill it was to land one of those monsters!! You can still catch them in Alaska if you're lucky.
This year has been an outstanding Pink salmon year (Humpys) I caught 15 fish with one lure on a 5 mile tack along San Juan Island in a couple of hours last week. I kept the legal limit and turned the rest loose - HAD A BAWL!!!
__________________
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 11:32   #90
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

Habitat is everything guys. Clean up our streams, keep them off limits to cement and poisons, and the Salmon will be back. Washington made a major effort this past few years to clean up the bays and estuaries in the Sound. I think the benefits are what is happening up in the San Juans (my favorite sailing ground) I really believe this- we can coexist with the rest of the species on this planet we just to have respect for what they do and are. We don't have to all consume algae, we just have to reinsert ourselves as part of the ecosystem and not a destroyer of it.
Bottom Line: The problem is not that we live, it's that we live making asphalt roads and concrete (robbing animals of their habitat)
__________________

__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fishing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Man's Effect on Deep Ocean - Scary Study avb3 Off Topic Forum 74 08-09-2011 22:10
Deep Sea Boat Transport cyclepro Pacific & South China Sea 3 16-07-2011 19:09



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.