Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-09-2011, 14:48   #151
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Deep-Sea Fishing Not Sustainable - Study

cats in the kettle--i will never be able to listen to harry chapin with a straight face again.......

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 14:51   #152
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
OMG...
What has your deity to do with this topic?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 09:16   #153

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'

I usually like to insert some thoughts into discussions like this and then let the responses go. But in this case I need to respond to one idea because at least one respondent didn't see how we could "Think Globally, Act Globally"

I for one have lived much of my life in a small Eastern Oregon town but have been able to do exactly that (act globally). I worked on a project with Texas A&M university to help model vegetation that helps predict drought. This gives people who grow livestock the ability to reduce their herds in preparation for the upcoming drought and the associated reduction in forage. This is good for the growers and the local wildlife as well.

This modeling is now use in Australia, Mongolia, the Horn of Africa, Mexico, Afghanistan as well as parts of the US. Unfortunately the drought and fighting in the Horn of Africa are currently so bad that after several years of success (it was really good for the goat herders in this area) of this method there, that the whole thing has failed there but it works much of the time. Nothing is perfect, I wish it was.

So my feeling is keep your mind open to acting globally and minimize you local impacts all you can as many of you do. I just want to encourage cruisers who may have more opportunity to act globally than most.

Good discussion.
Old 27-09-2011, 09:25   #154
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We can all continue to beat this dead horse, but no minds will be changed. I'm a molecular geneticist by education. And I CAN tell you this:

Follow the money: For academia, research money is EVERYTHING. If there is no crisis, there is no money for research. If there is no crisis, make a crisis so there will be money.

THAT is all, folks. That's how it works.
Old 27-09-2011, 09:31   #155
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We can all continue to beat this dead horse, but no minds will be changed. I'm a molecular geneticist by education. And I CAN tell you this:

Follow the money: For academia, research money is EVERYTHING. If there is no crisis, there is no money for research. If there is no crisis, make a crisis so there will be money.

Yep.

Old 27-09-2011, 11:00   #156
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post

And horses like oats therefore that field where the horse is standing must be growing oats.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 12:46   #157
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

3000 + sharks found in a gill net along the mexican american border/water way..the mexicans have desimated their own fishing ind. so they thought they would help us with ours..No wonder Zee(mexican gov) is so adament about the Mexican fishing permit...DVC
Old 27-09-2011, 16:18   #158

Cruisers Forum Supporter

tropical--isnt just mexicans have decimated mexican waters--is all the folks loving mexcan waters in which to fish-- when alobacore left so cal , folks fished in mexico. dorado in mexico.; sheephead in mexico. snapper in mexico.l abalone in mexico. lobsters...... all here were fished out not only by mexicans. who is catching the billfish in cabo--not mexicans. who comes to mexico to fish the once rich water s here--not mexicans...........but the mexicans have realized this and gradually made the fishing laws lil more rigid. not allowed ot fish in an estuary, not allowed to grab lobster and conch and abalone or any such yummies off floor. only certain license and certain corporate fishery folks.
i share a dock with the federales who grab ye for fishing misadventures--they are getting more active---- be safe!

you be safe here-- they consider poaching a very serious offense-- please get your license before fishing in mexican waters. read and follow the rules closely. save the sealife so there is some tomorrow and please respect the laws here for fishing. the penalties do not agree with freedom.
Old 27-09-2011, 19:05   #159

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the penalties do not agree with freedom.
the penalty oversteps the crime against the sea life or is it reasonable?
Old 27-09-2011, 20:39   #160

Cruisers Forum Supporter

i do not know how long the prison term is-- 4 marines, mexican, were jailed a few yrs ago for poaching lobsters and abalone... dont remember how many years. i think losing a boat would be a lil tough-- havent heard of them having dealt with any gringos yet.
when we were boarded the threat was loss of boat. that was some years ago--i dont know their threat now, as i wasnt boarded this trip.

the crime isnt only against the sea life--is against federal government here and the people of mexico as the loss of sealife means loss of livelihood and business.
Old 28-09-2011, 01:05   #161
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
tropical--isnt just mexicans have decimated mexican waters--is all the folks loving mexcan waters in which to fish-- when alobacore left so cal , folks fished in mexico. dorado in mexico.; sheephead in mexico. snapper in mexico.l abalone in mexico. lobsters...... all here were fished out not only by mexicans. who is catching the billfish in cabo--not mexicans. who comes to mexico to fish the once rich water s here--not mexicans...........but the mexicans have realized this and gradually made the fishing laws lil more rigid. not allowed ot fish in an estuary, not allowed to grab lobster and conch and abalone or any such yummies off floor. only certain license and certain corporate fishery folks.
i share a dock with the federales who grab ye for fishing misadventures--they are getting more active---- be safe!

you be safe here-- they consider poaching a very serious offense-- please get your license before fishing in mexican waters. read and follow the rules closely. save the sealife so there is some tomorrow and please respect the laws here for fishing. the penalties do not agree with freedom.
Richard Branson and Yau Ming(?)giant basketball player man from China have joined forces to get newly rich Chinese to stop eating shark fin soup..I think the mexicans see a market that can be exploted for max. potental..The basketball player said he quite eating it in 2004?Mr.Branson didnt say when he kicked the habit...maybe the stuff does work....the Mex .fisherman told US wildlife that they could be in and out in two minutes ..said it was too easy to make big bucks..your right I never saw a brownskinned man fly into mexico and go sport fishing,but I have met many a caucasion fly into Baja Calif. and do it for fun.."Are the good times really over for good"(Merle Haggard)..DVC
Old 09-10-2011, 04:16   #162

Boat: 1977 Cav 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
mind you with the amount of mercury and other heavy metals found in tuna these days,eating fish might become self regulating..........re poulation control,couple that with antibiotics in beef,and the vegans my inherit the earth..............
foregive my folly on such a serious subject, but,
Q. what do vegan cannibials eat?
A. sweeds

Tags
fishing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: